Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Captain Marvel with her mother Maria Rambeau!

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Maria will be proud to know her daughter Captain Marvel

is to be chairwoman of a super hero team

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I applaud single mothers everywhere, irrespective of background. But I'll never be ok with taking a Black man out of a household just to present some crazy notion that single Black women are perfectly fine doing it by themselves. And how is this not reinforcing stereotype? Monica had both parents in the comics, and they should have left that aspect of her origin alone.
    I feel the same.

Static Shock had DADDY out of the picture. McDuffie had to fight that battle.

And here's a tidbit-when Derrick Rose & Durant won MVP-both thanked mom. Those speeches got aired nonstop. Stephen Curry thank his DAD when he won. You barely heard that speech.

They do not want black men to get any credit.

Quick thoughts no Spoilers

- Monica was highlight in the movie,They could have done a little more with her but she did her role and gave the movie heart. Maria was solid they could have made a different movie with Carol and Maria Rambeu experience as Air force pilots up to incident that gives Carol her powers and it would have been just as good of a movie. Maria was good but one of problems of Captain Marvels is that they had too many small things to set up. Maria has nice moment in the movie where she gets to shine some.

- It is clear Monica isn't going to get her powers like she does in comics. She probably isn't going to be police or captain of a ship either but that is just guess of mine. If I had to guess she would be a Shield agent or pilot like her mom in future movies

- I think this process is going to eventually lead to some upset Monica fans, I don't think character makes it through this process without some synergy that is just some long term guessing tho. I think Monica can spin out of Captain Marvel 2 movie as her own thing but the question becomes if the MCU version becomes a breakout character how do you capitalize on it in the comics world. Like I said this some long term guessing

Why isn't Monica getting any love on the "No Road Home" covers?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I think this process is going to eventually lead to some upset Monica fans, I don't think character makes it through this process without some synergy that is just some long term guessing tho.
    When they announced that Monica's history was going to be tied to Carol's, that pretty much told me everything that I needed to know. The best that I can hope for at this point is that we don't get another scene where the Black person says "I do what he does, only slower, " in reference to his/her white counterpart. They may write it like an honest concession, but I receive it as a not so subtle microaggression.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by SilverScarlet View Post
    Why isn't Monica getting any love on the "No Road Home" covers?
    Yeah its pretty glaring how little exposure she's getting on those covers

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

i wish she haved powers in the movie do you think there's a way for her to have powers in the movie?
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    i wish she haved powers in the movie do you think there's a way for her to have powers in the movie?
    There's billions of ways she could get powers in future movies.

Totally geeked out seeing Monica in the latest Captain Marvel film. Can't wait to see Monica headline her own movie.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Saw Captain Marvel today....couldn't help but feel at the end of it that there's a VERY good chance that Monica/Spectrum could make her MCU debut in Avengers:Endgame!

When they announced that Monica's history was going to be tied to Carol's, that pretty much told me everything that I needed to know. The best that I can hope for at this point is that we don't get another scene where the Black person says "I do what he does, only slower, " in reference to his/her white counterpart. They may write it like an honest concession, but I receive it as a not so subtle microaggression.
    That aspect doesn't bother me like bother some of you. They could have easily made Monica/Maria say Jane/Janet or Mary/Sue and it would be fine. What bothers you more character not being used or a character used not in the manner you want but they are still around? Marvel just has so many characters only so much time before universe has to be rebooted(to capitalize on its biggest asset characters(ironman,cap,etc) and actors are just getting old). So characters being used outweighs them not being used for me at least .The fact they have general plan Monica feels good. Anyways what I was more talking about is that when Monica is used the Movie version becomes the more well know version and they try to make the comic version more like the movie version. I don't think you guys will like that approach.

In world where Marvel does a new 52 style reboot I wouldn't mind seeing Carol and Monica as peers/friends in the Military spoilers:
    They were doing a mission and same ship explosion in the movie that activates Carol powers, Gives Monica her powers
    end of spoilers That in way would kinda settle the issue between them kind of put them on the same level. Monica become her own hero and Carol took on Captain Marvel. In the real comic world that issue who came first and who got the push is alway going to be issue on until Monica gets a book. And fans shouldn't care after that point once you can regularly read Monica adventures
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-11-2019 at 12:30 AM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    What bothers you more character not being used or a character used not in the manner you want but they are still around?
    I think we've had that discussion before. To be clear, presentation always matters. It's not about what I want to see, but about the dignity of a people who are routinely portrayed in a second class, subservient or subhuman light. Hopefully, you get that about me. It's not about me nitpicking scripts and characterization to satisfy my own subjective tastes. That's like saying that Spike Lee's "Do The Right Thing" was about how to make a good pizza. It's deeper than that.

Given all of the retcons and retconned characters, perhaps Marvel should consider a massive reboot and realignment? I know everyone will want Monica and Carol to be besties, but Carol has been besties with most of the X-Men and just about everyone else at one point or another. I would probably link the fates of Carol and Tamara Devoux (Captain Universe), in lieu of Monica. I'd set a different foundation for Monica. Marvel has all of these kings and male rulers across multiple realms, but few impactful queens. I would likely change that with Monica. That's if I didn't make her a goddess instead.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 03-12-2019 at 06:20 AM.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Finally got to see the movie. Monica was definitely the best part of the whole thing and i just pray that she doesn't end up as Carol's sidekick.

Incredible Member

Don't care much about her father not being around I'm just glad the stuck to the idea of Monica being from Louisana.

I think we've had that discussion before. To be clear, presentation always matters. It's not about what I want to see, but about the dignity of a people who are routinely portrayed in a second class, subservient or subhuman light. Hopefully, you get that about me. It's not about me nitpicking scripts and characterization to satisfy my own subjective tastes. That's like saying that Spike Lee's "Do The Right Thing" was about how to make a good pizza. It's deeper than that.

Given all of the retcons and retconned characters, perhaps Marvel should consider a massive reboot and realignment? I know everyone will want Monica and Carol to be besties, but Carol has been besties with most of the X-Men and just about everyone else at one point or another. I would probably link the fates of Carol and Tamara Devoux (Captain Universe), in lieu of Monica. I'd set a different foundation for Monica. Marvel has all of these kings and male rulers across multiple realms, but few impactful queens. I would likely change that with Monica. That's if I didn't make her a goddess instead.
    No I get this very much believe me, MCU is filled with its version of Greenbook where the main character has black character as friend/sidekick and this character is a legit hero in their own right but feels second class and looks nowhere close to developing as a main hero. See Ironman(War machine) and Captain America(Falcon). I am very much aware of the issue. In fact it is one of the reasons I am so against Captain Marvel name it is like feels like that same thing but that is more of a discussion for later. Yes we have talk about this before I get the whole issue of trailblazing black character who came before another character should have gotten the focus and push another got. Quite frankly I get the salt, some of things that seem a little force on Carol like leadership and the actual name Captain Marvel where already part of Monica. Right now moments for Carol could easily be Monica but that topic is probably beaten to death one. I get where you and others are coming from and mostly I agree with you are saying BUT

In the big picture that is past we are in the right now, I have learned with X-men a franchise with tons of great characters ,All of them can't show up on the big screen and they can easily use another character. I would have love for them to do Monica right but as character with minimize presence in the comic world just showing up has some perks

https://people.com/movies/captain-ma...onica-rambeau/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ndgame-1193727

https://www.popsugar.com/entertainme...arvel-45889688

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/246...captain-marvel

This is just couple of the articles and this is bigger picture imo. There is actually movement for Monica now where this could easily be Kamala Khan or some other female marvel character. Yes they have taken away and are giving back what should have already been there for Monica I get that but Hank Pym and Wasp have taught me you can be founders of the Avengers and founders of Ultimates you can just out right get pass over and basically never seen. While they are not going to get her exactly right Monica should be in her prime form in the next movie and there is a real opportunity if audience like her that she could get her own movie. And if she is showing up in the Captain marvel 2 movie she is going to get cross promotion in the comics. So when ever Captain marvel 2 is announced I know that at least a mini series is coming but hopefully solo series. For me the good out weights the bad I am more excited about a future push not tied to Mar Vell linage. Next time Monica gets her chance to shine it is going to be as Spectrum(or Photon) and she will have real support.And that is all you want for a character.