Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Captain Marvel vs Dracula

It is extremely bad for a character who is not vital to the publisher and who exists almost universally on teams to have powers with such a wide range of applications that include extreme offense, defense, and speed, because instead of writers jumping through hoops to make her work in their story or reshaping the story around her, they just won't use her on their teams and she won't be getting pages. Having only one writer that invested in her is bad in the long term, and toning her down to make her easier to use is just the better option, because those powers aren't what make her a good character.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    It is extremely bad for a character who is not vital to the publisher and who exists almost universally on teams to have powers with such a wide range of applications that include extreme offense, defense, and speed, because instead of writers jumping through hoops to make her work in their story or reshaping the story around her, they just won't use her on their teams and she won't be getting pages. Having only one writer that invested in her is bad in the long term, and toning her down to make her easier to use is just the better option, because those powers aren't what make her a good character.
    It really just depends on the writer(s). In group environments everyone is reduced to a specific role usually. True in fiction and in real life. I don't question Monica not always saving the day, but I do question it when she never leans in, or is routinely relegated to support staff so that others can shine. That's fine in a game, but in a crisis when time is of the essence, that's when Monica should shine.

Take the recent Avengers: No Road Home. The story was written for Vision to meet with Nyx in the denouement. The team was racing to reach the door before Nyx sealed it. It strained credibility that Monica couldn't outrace Vision and the entire team to the doorway. Even the Vision powered by Monica flies slower than Monica. But the writers wanted a meeting of the minds between Vision and Nyx, in part to restore the Vision. What should have happened here is that Nyx should have taken Monica out. Incapacitate, not kill. Even if it was just a dark matter suspension bubble. But take Monica out and then come up with a more clever way to get Vision in the room with Nyx. It's not hard. At really high intangibility the Vision is rendered practically invisible. So while the team is racing Nyx for the door, they could have had Vizh quietly and stealthily enter the room before Nyx. When the door closes, Nyx turns to find Vizh already there.

The rest of the story follows through to its logical end. No need to turn Monica into support staff or a floating battery. And, of course, Monica doesn't arrive at the stupid conclusion that having great power means that she is less than human. (The men never say that!)
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If Monica is there, Dracula realistically shouldn't last 3 seconds. I almost think they need a tougher bad guy if Monica is involved...
    Especially since Wiccan is there too.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Especially since Wiccan is there too.
    Its gotta be another cosmic level threat for sure.

If Monica is there, Dracula realistically shouldn't last 3 seconds. I almost think they need a tougher bad guy if Monica is involved... but then again because it's Blade, it almost has to be a vampire story.
    Maybe that's why Ewing made her 100% human again? As a being of pure energy, Dracula couldn't touch her. But as a human, he can hypnotize and/or possibly mind control her. It's not the greatest advantage, but all he needs to do is get to her before she knows that he's there. As a human, she needs to sleep. Given that he can turn into mist, or shapeshift into animals, he might be able to get close enough to a sleeping Monica to sink his teeth into her. If he does, it's all over. Vamp Rambeau will be here new nickname.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”

~James Baldwin

BANNED

i understand the reason for doing this, but monica struggling with the question of immortality and humanity was probably the most interesting aspect of her character i've seen explored so far and it just sputtered out

even vision had a nice perspective on what it means to be human, it should've had them talking about it more, exploring her feelings and such

just feels like wasted potential ya know? It was a new exciting direction for the character but it's gone without having getting explored properly.
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 06-05-2019 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    i understand the reason for doing this, but monica struggling with the question of immortality and humanity was probably the most interesting aspect of her character i've seen explored so far and it just sputtered out

even vision had a nice perspective on what it means to be human, it should've had them talking about it more, exploring her feelings and such

just feels like wasted potential ya know? It was a new exciting direction for the character but it's gone without having getting explored properly.
    Exactly.

Plus, it helps the audience accept unpopular choices when we see the character grapple with such weighty issues over a period of time, just as we would if in her shoes. But to have it raised and resolved in a couple of brief issues -- and truly without getting any input from the people that are the closest to her -- seems forced. Insight from others might help her to make the right informed decision. Instead we got what basically seemed like an early pre-trimester miscarriage before the woman even knew that she was pregnant. The mere concept of immortality is what scared Monica. That and Nyx.

The only good thing about this is that we know that the notion of Monica's immortality only surfaced after Blue Marvel restructured and enhanced her. Presumably that's all that would be required if she changes her mind, or if another writer happens along who wants to build on the "nigh all-powerful" Monica that Ewing reverted.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 06-06-2019 at 11:02 AM.

~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Maybe that's why Ewing made her 100% human again? As a being of pure energy, Dracula couldn't touch her. But as a human, he can hypnotize and/or possibly mind control her. It's not the greatest advantage, but all he needs to do is get to her before she knows that he's there. As a human, she needs to sleep. Given that he can turn into mist, or shapeshift into animals, he might be able to get close enough to a sleeping Monica to sink his teeth into her. If he does, it's all over. Vamp Rambeau will be here new nickname.
    The upside of the story going that direction is that it would almost gurantee Adams involvement in it. Dracula vs Blue Marvel could be interesting. Obviously Adam is more powerful, but Drac is still considered a fairly big league villain.

The upside of the story going that direction is that it would almost gurantee Adams involvement in it. Dracula vs Blue Marvel could be interesting. Obviously Adam is more powerful, but Drac is still considered a fairly big league villain.
    Perhaps. But Adam's involvement would likely be limited to fighting vampyric Monica and finding a cure for her...something that probably involves a transfusion with Blade and taking Monica to the Neutral Zone where the remaining Dark Magic can be "harmonized" by the properties of the NZ. Something boring like that.

Not that a fight between Adam and Dracula -- I don't care how PIS-boosted Drac is -- would be scintillating material, if we're talking about physical combat. Remember, Adam creates his own light. He doesn't have to zap Drac with antimatter to disintegrate him.

A mental, strategic match might be interesting, though. It will help cement my idea that Adam isn't Superman, but a melding of Batman and Superman.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 06-06-2019 at 04:13 PM.

~James Baldwin

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Yupp, I'm in.
    I'm definitely liking her being a part of Strikeforce.
    This book sounds like it could be interesting and a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 06-11-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Agreed, I'm curious to see how Monica is written in this series. I hope she's not depicted in a "science vs. sorcery" type of framework.

~James Baldwin

Gonna be all over this book, I just hope the series gets a decent run as I definitely need some monthly Monica in my life.

Spectacular Member

I mean f#×! though.
    Dracula. REALLY. AND shes on a TEAM to do this? More filler BS. After taking away her ticket to top tier-dom in terms of respect. First her powers, then her name, then her dignity.

Why aren't her and Adam doing their own thing, away from eveybody else. Since its SO hard to write a story with them at potential. In groups?

Personally, I'd rather a kick ass showing and a Mic drop into limbo then this.

Why we can't win too bruh?

BANNED

To me, Captain Marvel and Blue Marvel doing their own thing is the way to return respect and dignity to these comicbook characters.