Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fables Omnibus?

All-New Member

Default Fables Omnibus?

I really want to dip into Fables, as I hear great things about this series. But 15 deluxe editions are a bit daunting.
    Any chance of an omnibus release brewing in the grapevine? Or should I just dive into all the deluxes?
    Last edited by Jackybones; 01-03-2019 at 10:28 AM.

I already have the first two and have yet to find the funds (and priority) to expand my volumes. However, it is really good and I would say go for it if there is no omnibus promised. If such an omnibus is pending however, I would probably not add to my 2 deluxe editions, and would instead wait. Also, I think there is a spin-off series for Jack, or something of the sort, although I am not very well caught up with Fables.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Spectacular Member

I've really struggled to get into this series. To be honest, I'd rather have OHC than an Omnibus in any case, just for ease of reading.

All-New Member

I really love the omnibus format, which I rather have. But I may just dive into the deluxe editions.
    Is there a good stopping point? I've heard some say, up to issue 75 is really good.

I saw your post over at MMW a few minutes ago but forgot to go back and answer.

As a daily board posting junkie over there, I can tell you from all the posts I've read, I've seen zero mentions of a Fables Omni.
    At least not thru to August - September time frame.
    I'm a DC Omni collector too, and like everything in that format. If I wanted to read this series and not seeing any clues for one this past year, nor coming up, I'd keep collecting the Del HC's.
    You can always sell them on eBay or the Omnibus Collector's Facebook Page.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

I would have preferred them as several omnis, fables is excellent but I do find the art a bit meh so I don’t think I would upgrade, if you are going to get them, use the end of the series as a stopping point

Quote Originally Posted by Jackybones View Post
    I really love the omnibus format, which I rather have. But I may just dive into the deluxe editions.
    Is there a good stopping point? I've heard some say, up to issue 75 is really good.

I've read posts by people saying the same thing (Up to issue 75), but I found it's actually pretty good the whole way through. That said, I think Fables is good and holds up my interest, but it's not great. When people rave about the series and compare it to Gaiman's Sandman series, I'm left scratching my head. The weak point is probably the crossover with Jack of Fables, which I skipped due to so many negative reviews.

The only parts of the comic I didn't care for at all were the segments done by guest-artists. I can't recall if Willingham wrote those sections or if he'd have guest-writers in them, but those were so bad I resorted to skipping those sections as I went further into the series. It felt like they generally had no significance to the main plot and would turn out to be a waste of time.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    I've read posts by people saying the same thing (Up to issue 75), but I found it's actually pretty good the whole way through. That said, I think Fables is good and holds up my interest, but it's not great. When people rave about the series and compare it to Gaiman's Sandman series, I'm left scratching my head. The weak point is probably the crossover with Jack of Fables, which I skipped due to so many negative reviews.

The only parts of the comic I didn't care for at all were the segments done by guest-artists. I can't recall if Willingham wrote those sections or if he'd have guest-writers in them, but those were so bad I resorted to skipping those sections as I went further into the series. It felt like they generally had no significance to the main plot and would turn out to be a waste of time.
    I agree with almost all of this. I too belive Fables was/is pretty consistent all the way through, but overall just a solid, entertaining read. Nothing wrong with that. And yes, the Literals arc/crossover was the nadir of the series for me personally. Tbf I did enjoy most of JoF up until that point though.

#75 is indeed the go-to stopping point for some people, because the dynamics that shaped the series up to the point shift dramatically. it worked for some, didn't work for others.

i myself enjoyed the series all the way through, although i'm glad it ended when it did -- i found the final volume forced and... well, the weakest of the bunch, honestly. there's also a particular arc in the back half of the run that almost everybody complained about because it took *forever* to finish when the floppies were coming out once per month, but i actually find it reads rather well when you can get the whole story in one sitting.

If you just want to read the material, perhaps check out your local library. This was a popular series, and a lot of libraries have most if not all the books in TPB format. That's a lot of trades, granted, but you'd still get to read it. LIke ANY series of that many issues, it has peaks and valleys, but overall I thought it was really well done.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Spectacular Member

As someone who has the first two hardback editions, can someone convince to me to actually get around to reading this? The reason I struggled is that from my initial reading it seemed like the premise was a soap opera using the context of fairytale characters. I think there had been a mysterious death (I read it over a year ago), but it felt very similar to Noble Causes which I also ended up giving up on because I started to lose interest. I guess there must be more to Fables than that, given how well regarded it is.

the first arc/volume (the first five or six issues -- not sure what the hardback editions cover) is indeed a murder mystery, but the premise of the book hooked me from the start so it wasn't a deterrent. honestly that first volume is a bit preludes and nocturnes-y -- there's nothing wrong with the story per se, but the series evolved so much from the initial offering it almost seems like a whole separate book.

the world(s) building and characters is what did it for me. animal farm -- the second volume -- is much more indicative of what the series would become, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    I agree with almost all of this. I too belive Fables was/is pretty consistent all the way through, but overall just a solid, entertaining read. Nothing wrong with that. And yes, the Literals arc/crossover was the nadir of the series for me personally. Tbf I did enjoy most of JoF up until that point though.

Interesting....I was averse to trying Jack of Fables out because he was one of my least favorite characters in Fables, but I read a review on Amazon where the reviewer stated the same thing but ended up liking JoF quite a bit.

I'll try out the first deluxe hardcover and see how it is.....At what point in the series does the Literals crossover occur?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Interesting....I was averse to trying Jack of Fables out because he was one of my least favorite characters in Fables, but I read a review on Amazon where the reviewer stated the same thing but ended up liking JoF quite a bit.

I'll try out the first deluxe hardcover and see how it is.....At what point in the series does the Literals crossover occur?
    The second hc ends where the crossover would begin if i remember correctly. So it would be included in the 3rd JoF collection (if we ever get it)

Some arcs of fables are waaaay beyond just good stories - Homelands is one of my favourite stories ever, with elements of fantasy, epic, conspiracy. The Good Prince is pretty beautiful too. The second half has one of my other favourite arcs, Cubs In Toyland. I read the last arcs monthly while the series was still going on and the ending felt rushed. I still need to read those arcs again in trades to see if they get less truncated... but it's worth the long ride to get there.