Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fables Omnibus?

Quote Originally Posted by seusilva View Post
    Some arcs of fables are waaaay beyond just good stories - Homelands is one of my favourite stories ever, with elements of fantasy, epic, conspiracy. The Good Prince is pretty beautiful too. The second half has one of my other favourite arcs, Cubs In Toyland. I read the last arcs monthly while the series was still going on and the ending felt rushed. I still need to read those arcs again in trades to see if they get less truncated... but it's worth the long ride to get there.

"Cubs in Toyland" was phenomenal, and proves you need to go beyond issue 75 when reading Fables. It was surprisingly dark.

All-New Member

I've decided to dip into the deluxe editions. I will be ordering the first 3 volumes. I heard that it really finds it's groove around volume 3, so I want to give it a fair chance. I love the concept of these stories, so I am excited. And i'll look forward for more volumes. If somehow, it does fails to hold my interest, I'll just stop at Volume 3.
    Last edited by Jackybones; 01-07-2019 at 09:45 AM.

Hello from the gutter Mad Hatter's Avatar

Just to add some more love to "Cubs in Toyland". One of my faves story arcs ever.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    The second hc ends where the crossover would begin if i remember correctly. So it would be included in the 3rd JoF collection (if we ever get it)

You were right about Jack of Fables. I bought the first hardcover (Second HC is on its way) and it's pretty good. I'd say it's at least on an equal level to the main Fables title.

Willingham somehow made Jack into an entertaining character in this book. It's also fun seeing appearances from some of the other characters from the main title. After I finish reading the second hardcover, I think I'll go back and re-read the entire Fables series (JoF included).

I have to ask, what was so bad about the Literals crossover?

Mighty Member

^I'm glad you liked it. Yes, Jack was much more enjoyable in his own run

As for the crossover, it just felt forced and unnecessary, and ran way too long. No real repecussions as far as i remember either, although i haven't read any JoF after the fact to confirm this. Just seemed like an excuse to bring the 2 series together for the most part

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    ^I'm glad you liked it. Yes, Jack was much more enjoyable in his own run

As for the crossover, it just felt forced and unnecessary, and ran way too long. No real repecussions as far as i remember either, although i haven't read any JoF after the fact to confirm this. Just seemed like an excuse to bring the 2 series together for the most part

I might check it out, anyway. I have volumes 1-8 of the deluxe hardcovers, while the rest of what I have are tpbs....I'm thinking of upgrading the rest of my Fables collection to the deluxe hardcovers, and I'll include that one.

I noticed it's been well over a year since they released any other Jack of Fables hardcovers. Makes me wonder if sales were low on that title so they didn't bother any further. If that's the case, I might have to get the tpbs that comprise of the rest of the series.

Being the rabid party animal that I am, I just bought volumes 9-15 of the deluxe hardcovers on IST while they're doing an extra 3% off sale on DC comics (Added with my extra 2% off for having done another recent purchase).....I also ordered the Fairest vol 2 tpb. I'm not too crazy about the Fairest line, as it's the weakest of the Fables series, but I figured I'd check that one out.

Mighty Member

Lol nice. I'd hoped Fairest/Cinderella would get the deluxe treatment eventually to coordinate all the material, but if they don't even bother to wrap up JoF then obviously that won't happen

D C can not even get Alan Moore's Swamp Thing or John Byrnes Superman or Scott Snyder's New 52 Batman run in Omnibus
    and for sure each one would be one of there best sellers
    And even now they are consistently cancelling omnibuses they had solicited for months and many being collections that would
    surely fill many readers personal library.

Quote Originally Posted by madave View Post
    As someone who has the first two hardback editions, can someone convince to me to actually get around to reading this? The reason I struggled is that from my initial reading it seemed like the premise was a soap opera using the context of fairytale characters. I think there had been a mysterious death (I read it over a year ago), but it felt very similar to Noble Causes which I also ended up giving up on because I started to lose interest. I guess there must be more to Fables than that, given how well regarded it is.
    Bottom line, yes it is a soap opera with Fairy Tales. It is the love affair of Snow White and the big Bad Wolf. Who is the Emperor? The man who conquered all of the kingdoms, driving the fairy tales out of their lands. How will people be able to defeat him and reclaim their land. That is the premise for early parts of the storyline.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Spectacular Member

I kinda got bored by about volume 11 or 12 of the trades, and then there were all those TV series and movies trying to do the same thing.

All-New Member

Spoke to Mark Buckingham this weekend and asked if he knew about omnibusses? Unfortunately he didn't.

Astonishing Member

I think the first arc is the weakest but it just sets up the characters, the book is one of the best crafted of all time and the quality rarely dipped. I was hoping for an HBO adaptation but might be a while since the storylines are so similar to ABC series Once Upon a Time. The stories are better but too similar for a series right now. It would feel like Fables was ripping OUAT off when in fact it predates it.

All-New Member

Now that the Fables Compendiums seems to be a hit. Any chance they will revisit the idea of an HC omnibus? It seemed to be in the grapevine rumor then dropped before the compendiums came out.
    Fingers crossed.

Secret Wars II Apologist DantonR's Avatar

I'd love to see this in an omnibus format -- provided the series was published in reasonably sized volumes.

But something tells me, b/c it's DC/Vertigo, that they would try to cram this run into two or three massive volumes.

In that case, it would be an easy pass for me.