Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It really is a shame the Simon/Beast bromance has gotten so little love. Part of me was honestly hoping with so much friction Beast had with the X-Men in recent years, he'd be more a full time Avenger just so he and Simon would do more. Beast is just so much funner as an Avenger for some reason.
    During his time with the X-Men, Beast was very interesting from a scientific standpoint. But I totally agree with you, Beast & Simon together on the Avengers brought plenty of joy and good times.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-25-2019 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

Spectacular Member

i think with his untapped potential story-wise he is heads and tails more interesting than some solo characters that have their own books. I think it is a shame that SW and QS origins were changed for MCU because his origin story as being created by villains to defeat the avengers has been done by them instead. I would liked to have seen him die his original death and then return a few films down the line with his incredible strength and invulnerability and his secret fear of death. I liked the fact that someone who can go head to head against any of the strongest heroes in marvel being so frightened, it gave him a twist that forced all kinds of issues upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by maklelin highbain View Post
    i think with his untapped potential story-wise he is heads and tails more interesting than some solo characters that have their own books. I think it is a shame that SW and QS origins were changed for MCU because his origin story as being created by villains to defeat the avengers has been done by them instead. I would liked to have seen him die his original death and then return a few films down the line with his incredible strength and invulnerability and his secret fear of death. I liked the fact that someone who can go head to head against any of the strongest heroes in marvel being so frightened, it gave him a twist that forced all kinds of issues upon him.
    Yeah, Simon showed a lot of vulnerabilty that you don't see from a lot of heroes. And it's such a contrast coming from one of the most powerful beings on the planet. He's definately a pretty interesting character when they give him the time and space to explore him.

He also plays a great straight man to some of the funnier or more over the top characters. Obviously him and Beast were a classic marvel duo. But him and Ares in their brief interaction in Mighty Avengers had a bit of magic too, which sadly didn't get more play. He's a great character that just needs a bit more love.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Fingers crossed that this upcoming "War of the Realms" mini series isn't hot garbage...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Spectacular Member

they can't treat him any worse than he was treated in Force Works! His own title being cancelled due to it, with a announcement Wonder Man's adventures will continue in Force Works. Then BANG kill him in issue 1 in a damned stupid manner. Still annoys me all these years later.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

they can't treat him any worse than he was treated in Force Works! His own title being cancelled due to it, with a announcement Wonder Man's adventures will continue in Force Works. Then BANG kill him in issue 1 in a damned stupid manner. Still annoys me all these years later.
    Ha! Yeah, it took me a while to get over that.

I continued to rage-buy Force Works just waiting for his return (and to drop the occasional disappointed letter), only to have the rug pulled out from under me again during those last two issues!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Spectacular Member

Mind you his return in Busiek's avengers was awesome and made me super happy that him and wanda may have had a chance. Mind you every writer in the history of marvel seems to want to have simon never have a happy relationship.
    Unrelated, just added War of Realms: Journey Into Mystery, to my subscriptions and I hope Simon gets a fair shake in that, I was pretty happy with his contribution in No Surrender so I am hopeful

The messed up thing was they never brought him back. I was SURE they would, if they bothered killing him off in the first issue. But instead he just stayed dead until the end of the series. WTF? It's not like he's not one of the easiest characters to bring back.

Mind you his return in Busiek's avengers was awesome and made me super happy that him and wanda may have had a chance. Mind you every writer in the history of marvel seems to want to have simon never have a happy relationship.
    Unrelated, just added War of Realms: Journey Into Mystery, to my subscriptions and I hope Simon gets a fair shake in that, I was pretty happy with his contribution in No Surrender so I am hopeful
    But I did not like Simon being " a genie in a bottle" nor his energy powers. He is supposed to be the strongest in strength, not energy blasts.

The messed up thing was they never brought him back. I was SURE they would, if they bothered killing him off in the first issue. But instead he just stayed dead until the end of the series. WTF? It's not like he's not one of the easiest characters to bring back.
    I know--I was so angry at them for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    But I did not like Simon being " a genie in a bottle" nor his energy powers. He is supposed to be the strongest in strength, not energy blasts.

I think Simons death right out of the gate soured me a bit for Force Works. As a West Coast Avengers fan I was excited about it too, but they killed that in a hurry.

I think Simons death right out of the gate soured me a bit for Force Works. As a West Coast Avengers fan I was excited about it too, but they killed that in a hurry.
    Oh yes! I remember reading that issue that I was so excited mostly because Simon was in it-- and that is exactly how I felt also when they killed him in that first issue. I was so disappointed and could not believe it.

Spectacular Member

what i did like about it though was that the love that he shared with wanda was so intense that she managed to pull him back when she was in trouble. Wasn't too keen on using him as a get out of jail free card whenever they got in trouble rather than just trying to bring him back full time, thought the team could have spent more time trying to make the situation permanent. Even Wanda wasn't keen on pulling him out as a weapon.

As to Force Works, I bought the first 10 issues or so but was pissed when he didn't get brought back and was replaced by Century who was pure 90s drivel. The only later issues i originally bought were the crossover with the avengers. Recent picked up most of them but still they stole the teams soul by killing off Simon

Oh yes! I remember reading that issue that I was so excited mostly because Simon was in it-- and that is exactly how I felt also when they killed him in that first issue. I was so disappointed and could not believe it.
    I literally didn't believe it! I thought he'd just be back soon enough, until much later someone mentioned that he had died in that incident and I was surprised, like "Ohhhh! He actually died then?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I literally didn't believe it! I thought he'd just be back soon enough, until much later someone mentioned that he had died in that incident and I was surprised, like "Ohhhh! He actually died then?!?"
    I secretly felt that way too--they would not do that to Simon, plus he was so powerful, he would show up in issue 2. But by issue 4, I was like, "Oh no, they killed Simon!!"

As to Force Works, I bought the first 10 issues or so but was pissed when he didn't get brought back and was replaced by Century who was pure 90s drivel. The only later issues i originally bought were the crossover with the avengers. Recent picked up most of them but still they stole the teams soul by killing off Simon
    And Century promptly got adapted in animation too, as Iron Man season 1 was really Force Works.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman