Page 45 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by IvanSkavisnky View Post
    Marvel doing this now, with Steve's MCU story over and done, is so goddamned weird.
    Just hypothesizing here, but it probably has something to do with the Forbes article data I posted in another thread. The demographic buying the serial superhero comics are older, people who have been doing it for decades. Young people are choosing to buy Manga or Raina Telgemeier graphic novels over superhero serials. Changing Steve's background might be a grab at getting some of the younger crowd, the Tumblr crowd obsessed with Steve and Bucky's relationship, or Steve and Peggy's relationship, to read comics. I understand the logic of it, for something to survive you have to appeal to the youth. As a life-long Trekkie I made this same argument back in 2008 when we heard they were rebooting Star Trek with younger actors and the Trekkie community got all up in arms about it. That said, while I understand what they are doing from a business perspective, I don't personally like it. It's not just a matter of them erasing important/poignant storylines to the Cap mythos out of existence, but doing it this way just seems a recipe for disaster. The whole 'shipping' thing seems to be mostly an excuse to engage in online gang warfare so Marvel trying to bait that crowd is sort of like sticking their fingers in a hornets nest.

And honestly, there is an alternative means of getting more people to buy comics... just crack down on sites that post them illicitly, and make people actually buy comics instead of bootlegging them. I'm honestly surprised this has not occurred to Disney, who has the means to do this.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 10-14-2019 at 06:23 AM.

The artist for Cap #15 just tweeted this...

Coates.JPG

New book announced for January 2020. Avengers/Defenders by Alan Davis with art by Paul Renaud. Looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    New book announced for January 2020. Avengers/Defenders by Alan Davis with art by Paul Renaud. Looks awesome.

The summary:

TAROT #1 (of 4)
    Written by ALAN DAVIS
    Art and Cover by PAUL RENAUD
    An all-new epic adventure teaming the classic Earth’s Mightiest Heroes with Marvel’s premiere Non-Team by Alan Davis and Paul Renaud!
    A strange and impossible lost memory from his days in World War II draws Namor the Sub-Mariner to his one-time compatriot Captain America—but the two heroes and their respective allies find themselves pulled into a labyrinth of pain, destruction and madness courtesy of the Infernal Ichor of Ish’lzog!

Steve and Namor centered. Sounds amazing. It helps to take away the sting of losing Invaders a little bit.

Wasn't expecting a classic Avengers/Defenders mini out of nowhere. But it looks like it could be fun and the art looks great .

Guess the Feige news answers the question definitively on why Steve's childhood was ret-conned to match the MCU in Marvel #1000 *sigh*.

You know, I don't care who Steve ends up with as long as he is happy and there is a good story in it. I really liked Bernie, I loved Rachel, Sharon is boss, hell, I even liked Rebecca from Cap vol. 4. BUT I hated Steve's MCU ending (and to be fair it had nothing to do with Peggy, the MCU did a good job with her character, moreso than the comics ever did, no, my discontent had to do with the fact that a main theme of Steve's story from the Silver Age and up has been adaptation, a soldier returning home from war and having to fit into society again, and going back to the past is NOT adapting, it felt like quitting) but I swear to god if they leave Sharon old and have Steve ditch her for the younger Peggy, just to meet that MCU Peggy/Steve status quo, I will write an angry letter. It's bad enough that making Bucky Steve's childhood friend not only erases Arnie Roth out of existence, but it invalidates Brubaker's world-building of Bucky's backstory (and dozens of Invaders comics). The hell, Marvel?!
    Last edited by capandkirby; 10-15-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Guess the Feige news answers the question definitively on why Steve's childhood was ret-conned to match the MCU in Marvel #1000 *sigh*.

You know, I don't care who Steve ends up with as long as he is happy and there is a good story in it. I really liked Bernie, I loved Rachel, Sharon is boss, hell, I even liked Rebecca from Cap vol. 4. BUT I hated Steve's MCU ending (and to be fair it had nothing to do with Peggy, the MCU did a good job with her character, moreso than the comics ever did, no, my discontent had to do with the fact that a main theme of Steve's story from the Silver Age and up has been adaptation, a soldier returning home from war and having to fit into society again, and going back to the past is NOT adapting, it felt like quitting) but I swear to god if they leave Sharon old and have Steve ditch her for the younger Peggy, just to meet that MCU Peggy/Steve status quo, I will write an angry letter. It's bad enough that making Bucky Steve's childhood friend not only erases Arnie Roth out of existence, but it invalidates Brubaker's world-building of Bucky's backstory (and dozens of Invaders comics). The hell, Marvel?!
    Damn, I hate the MCU synergy.

I didn’t know they retconned Bucky as Steve’s childhood, I thought it was an error. Why is Kevin even in charge of marvel comic publications? This is bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    Damn, I hate the MCU synergy.

I didn’t know they retconned Bucky as Steve’s childhood, I thought it was an error. Why is Kevin even in charge of marvel comic publications? This is bad news.
    I wouldn't take it as a serious retcon yet. It was just a one-off story in an anthology issue, some of which had joke stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wouldn't take it as a serious retcon yet. It was just a one-off story in an anthology issue, some of which had joke stories.
    I thought Marvel #1000 was supposed to layout Marvel history? No?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    I thought Marvel #1000 was supposed to layout Marvel history? No?
    No, that's the OFFICIAL MARVEL HISTORY miniseries. MARVEL COMICS #1000 had a storyline in it that weaved together parts of Marvel history, but not all of the book was 616/Prime/whatever Marvel continuity. For example, it included a story from STAR WARS.

So I would not take that story with young Steve and Bucky to be retconning Arnie Roth away at all. That story simply took place in a different continuity (just like the story that showed Tony Stark and Pepper Potts in bed together after an Avengers adventure--given that Tony and Pepper have never been a real couple in 616 continuity).

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    No, that's the OFFICIAL MARVEL HISTORY miniseries. MARVEL COMICS #1000 had a storyline in it that weaved together parts of Marvel history, but not all of the book was 616/Prime/whatever Marvel continuity. For example, it included a story from STAR WARS.

So I would not take that story with young Steve and Bucky to be retconning Arnie Roth away at all. That story simply took place in a different continuity (just like the story that showed Tony Stark and Pepper Potts in bed together after an Avengers adventure--given that Tony and Pepper have never been a real couple in 616 continuity).
    Oh damn, I’m tripping. I guess I confused the two.

All-New Member

So what's the chance of Dryad being linked to whatever Alexa Lukin did with Sharon in Alberia?

All-New Member

I think that story is meant to be a dream Steve is having while in the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by IvanSkavisnky View Post
    I think that story is meant to be a dream Steve is having while in the ice.
    That's an interesting interpretation, I hope you're right.

Today's Cap was good. Felt a bit like a filler, but still good. Wasn't at all what I was expecting though. The solicits advertised it as a Steve and Jess team-up and this... wasn't that.

Nice narrative on Steve and Sharon, though. I feel it brought a more human spin on what Steve is going through right now on a personal level. His frustration stemming not only from the fact that Sharon is keeping secrets but more on the fact that he's entirely, 100% dependent on the Daughters of Liberty and doesn't completely understand why they are helping him and what their motivation is in it.