Page 8 of 65 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Attachment 78487

Steve (and Rhodey, Tony, Thor and Jen) in today's Captain Marvel #2.
    Jen deserves better .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Jen deserves better .
    I agree 100%. Every time I read an Avengers issue that barely utilizes Steve and get annoyed, I remind myself of Jen's treatment in that series and quickly squelch said annoyance. Because Jen's treatment is criminal.

I'm a casual fan of Steve and i really De Matteis writting, so i was wondering if you would recommend me his run on the title back in the 80s.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I'm a casual fan of Steve and i really De Matteis writting, so i was wondering if you would recommend me his run on the title back in the 80s.
    DeMatteis wasn't my favorite. Sorry. I mean, he wasn't horrible, just not excellent, if that makes sense. He once had this panel, during his Cap run, where Steve criticized Indiana Jones (he was on a date with Bernie) as not being wholesome enough, and potentially being a bad influence on kids. It was an eye-roll moment. He also had Steve tipsy off of Sangrias and singing in a bar. And he took this sort of pacifist approach to Steve, which was... an odd choice for a character known for punching. I preferred Stern and Gruenwald as 80's writers go. That said the Arnie Roth stuff is interesting. DeMatteis used the Cap comic to make a statement about tolerance during the AIDS crises and the corresponding increase of homophobia at the time, which was something most writers were afraid to touch (the comics code of authority were in full swing then, too, which didn't help matters), so good for him!

DeMatteis wasn't my favorite. Sorry. I mean, he wasn't horrible, just not excellent, if that makes sense. He once had this panel, during his Cap run, where Steve criticized Indiana Jones (he was on a date with Bernie) as not being wholesome enough, and potentially being a bad influence on kids. It was an eye-roll moment. He also had Steve tipsy off of Sangrias and singing in a bar. And he took this sort of pacifist approach to Steve, which was... an odd choice for a character known for punching. I preferred Stern and Gruenwald as 80's writers go. That said the Arnie Roth stuff is interesting. DeMatteis used the Cap comic to make a statement about tolerance during the AIDS crises and the corresponding increase of homophobia at the time, which was something most writers were afraid to touch (the comics code of authority were in full swing then, too, which didn't help matters), so good for him!
    Wow, that definetly sounds off, i'm going to be honest, as much as i like his writting i had to admit that i don't agreed with all his ideas, his run on Spider-Man is among my favorites but there are some things about it that don't sit well with me, like Peter feeling guilt for the death of his biological parents, so it doesn't surprised me his additions to Steve. For another side, the story with Arnie sounds interesting, so maybe i would check that one at the very least. Thanks for the info.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Wow, that definetly sounds off, i'm going to be honest, as much as i like his writting i had to admit that i don't agreed with all his ideas, his run on Spider-Man is among my favorites but there are some things about it that don't sit well with me, like Peter feeling guilt for the death of his biological parents, so it doesn't surprised me his additions to Steve. For another side, the story with Arnie sounds interesting, so maybe i would check that one at the very least. Thanks for the info.
    No problem, enjoy!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Same here. I mean, Uncle Ben I could buy, because Peter was at least partially responsible by virtue of his selfish inaction against the petty thief that would go on to break into the Parker house and kill Uncle Ben, but his parents died before he could form any real memories of them, so how is he supposed to rationally or logically feel guilty for that?

That aside, just wanted to say, again, that I really love capandkirby's posts. Truly insightful and even profound stuff about Steve Rogers, who he is, and what he stands for.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Same here. I mean, Uncle Ben I could buy, because Peter was at least partially responsible by virtue of his selfish inaction against the petty thief that would go on to break into the Parker house and kill Uncle Ben, but his parents died before he could form any real memories of them, so how is he supposed to rationally or logically feel guilty for that?

That aside, just wanted to say, again, that I really love capandkirby's posts. Truly insightful and even profound stuff about Steve Rogers, who he is, and what he stands for.
    Pretty much, he was like a year old when they died, he really shouldn't feel guilt about then, maybe some longing like any child that didn't knew his parents would, but not much else. For another side "The Child Within" is still awesome in spite of that detail.

I had to admit, capandkirby is one of my favorite posters here, pretty reasonable and insighful in general, to be honest she is one of the main reasons of why i visit this part of the forum, is always nice to find someone that is more interested in express their love for their favorites over the vitrol around here.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Wow, thanks Huntsman Spider and TheCape, made my day!

Speaking of Steve Rogers appreciation, this was what my desk looked like when I came to work this morning (it's my birthday). This is what you get when discussing comics with the guys at work, lol (who, fortunately, also read comics). I have a Cap!desk!

3Capdesk1.jpgCapdesk1.jpg

Speaking of Steve Rogers appreciation, this was what my desk looked like when I came to work this morning (it's my birthday). This is what you get when discussing comics with the guys at work, lol (who, fortunately, also read comics). I have a Cap!desk!

Happy birthday! capandkirby, i hope that you spend a great time with your friends and family .

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Happy birthday! capandkirby, i hope that you spend a great time with your friends and family .
    Thank you!

Happy Birthday .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Happy Birthday .
    Thanks! Appreciate that.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Allow me to add myself to the chorus of voices wishing you a happy birthday, capandkirby!
    The spider is always on the hunt.