Page 52 of 65 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Jack did have one appearance after his death...but it was set before his death.

As far as U.S. Agent's appearance...kind of lackluster. He shows up to bring Steve in as he believes he is Stevil....only to be swept away after giving some info on Scourge.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    I know that people here have complained about Coates work on Black Panther, but I gotta say, he's doing a good job with Cap.
    Agreed. His Cap run has been top-notch.

It irks me that they shuttled two strong artists - Yu and Kubert - over to the X-books and haven't found a suitably A-list replacement but Coates is still coming through on the writing end.

I will say, though, that the art this issue was decent enough. If they keep this guy around for a bit, that'd be fine. At least there'd be consistency.

Some crazy stuff this issue. Not enough John Walker for my liking but it was still cool to see him back. Hope he won't just disappear again.

I noticed that the legacy numbering will be at #725 in five issues. That'll probably mark the end of this current plotline. Wonder if it will also be the end of Coates' run with a new creative team and #1 afterwards. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Any theories Huntsman Spider?
    Not just yet, though I'm pretty sure if Peggy is secretly backing this Scourge as her wetworks guy against the Power Elite, Steve finding out will put the kibosh on any ideas of reigniting his romance with her. Actually, I might endorse that plot twist, because at least then it'll be less likely that Sharon gets thrown under the bus.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Correct. If you're referring to Thunderbolts: From the Marvel Vault, that's from 2011 and it's a lost tale of the early days of the T-Bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post

As far as U.S. Agent's appearance...kind of lackluster. He shows up to bring Steve in as he believes he is Stevil....only to be swept away after giving some info on Scourge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Agreed. His Cap run has been top-notch.

It irks me that they shuttled two strong artists - Yu and Kubert - over to the X-books and haven't found a suitably A-list replacement but Coates is still coming through on the writing end.

I will say, though, that the art this issue was decent enough. If they keep this guy around for a bit, that'd be fine. At least there'd be consistency.

Some crazy stuff this issue. Not enough John Walker for my liking but it was still cool to see him back. Hope he won't just disappear again.

I noticed that the legacy numbering will be at #725 in five issues. That'll probably mark the end of this current plotline. Wonder if it will also be the end of Coates' run with a new creative team and #1 afterwards. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
    I definitely don't think that this is the last we've seen of John Walker. The character is just too tenacious for that to be it. Plus, in the February 2020 solicitations Marvel released today, he's on the cover of Force Works (and in the summary), looks like they're trying to bring him back as a character to be utilized. It's unfortunate that Rosenberg is writing this, dude has zero respect for the Cap franchise. Probably wont be subscribing for that reason alone.

As for Coates, he really has. In my opinion, this is the best Cap run since Brubaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Not just yet, though I'm pretty sure if Peggy is secretly backing this Scourge as her wetworks guy against the Power Elite, Steve finding out will put the kibosh on any ideas of reigniting his romance with her. Actually, I might endorse that plot twist, because at least then it'll be less likely that Sharon gets thrown under the bus.
    That's an excellent point. Yeah, that would definitely be a deal breaker for Steve (and Sharon deserves better than that). Ugh, I do so loathe the idea of the MCU universe overtaking the comics. Do not want.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 11-21-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Looks like we get our answer to that definitively in February...

February.jpg

It's Alex Ross appreciation hours (which is every hour of every day, if I'm being honest)...

Gorgeous cover. As always.

As for Coates, he really has. In my opinion, this is the best Cap run since Brubaker.

That's an excellent point. Yeah, that would definitely be a deal breaker for Steve (and Sharon deserves better than that). Ugh, I do so loathe the idea of the MCU universe overtaking the comics. Do not want.[/QUOTE]

Agree, Coates has done well.

As far as synergy with MCU / TV ..... Yeah, bitter pill for sure.
    Last edited by tliscord; 11-21-2019 at 11:29 AM.

Erik Larsen just provided interesting insight into why Gruenwald created Scourge. Guess Gruenwald wasn't a pacifist after all, lol (though I still side-eye the whole 'a WW2 soldier has never killed anyone, not once' claim, because that was just silly, and I otherwise loved Gruenwald).

As for Scourge's purpose LMAO! Hey Scourge, I have a list! Can you do me a few favors... kidding, kidding.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 11-21-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Erik Larsen just provided interesting insight into why Gruenwald created Scourge. Guess Gruenwald wasn't a pacifist after all, lol (though I still side-eye the whole 'a WW2 soldier has never killed anyone, not once' claim, because that was just silly, and I otherwise loved Gruenwald).

As for Scourge's purpose LMAO! Hey Scourge, I have a list! Can you do me a few favors... kidding, kidding.
    Yeah, I can understand that. We all have characters we'd prefer not to see or hear of anymore, but at the same time, I'm with Erik Larsen, if only for the practical issue that, "If I can kill off some character I think is lame or horrible, what's stopping you from doing the same to a character I happen to like but that you think is lame or horrible?" It'd be the MAD (Mutual Assured Destruction) of fandom.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

While I'd say that Coates has handled and written various topics in a rather lame, sigh-inducing manner, I'd also say he shined more in other installments as well, so kudos to him for that.

Yeah, I can understand that. We all have characters we'd prefer not to see or hear of anymore, but at the same time, I'm with Erik Larsen, if only for the practical issue that, "If I can kill off some character I think is lame or horrible, what's stopping you from doing the same to a character I happen to like but that you think is lame or horrible?" It'd be the MAD (Mutual Assured Destruction) of fandom.
    Oh I know, I was just kidding. I'm of the firm belief that one person's garbage is another person's treasure. That's why I really dislike character bashing (of ANY character, I will defend even the ones I don't like against bashing) and completely judge the people who engage in that behavior. It's really rude to lay into something that other people love. It's the equivalent of going up to some random stranger on the street and telling them you hate their outfit and why. I will never understand why people can't just... not talk about something they don't like. Especially if it spares someones feelings.

I don't judge Gru too harshly though. This is comics. Deaths are never permanent. Any writer who wanted to could bring back any of Scourge's victims if they cared that much. Gru wouldn't be the first writer who killed characters he didn't like. Brubaker did it... to Gruenwald! I mean, in his run Brubaker killed Jack (pathetically), killed Dennis (REALLY pathetically), and had Rachel try to pick up on Steve while he was dating Sharon and right in front of Sharon (at least Brubaker made her a SHIELD agent though, so yay for that, that was way better than the fate Spencer gave her). Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I always figured Brubaker had it out for Gruenwald, just a tiny bit.

Oh I know, I was just kidding. I'm of the firm belief that one person's garbage is another person's treasure. That's why I really dislike character bashing (of ANY character, I will defend even the ones I don't like against bashing) and completely judge the people who engage in that behavior. It's really rude to lay into something that other people love. It's the equivalent of going up to some random stranger on the street and telling them you hate their outfit and why. I will never understand why people can't just... not talk about something they don't like. Especially if it spares someones feelings.

I don't judge Gru too harshly though. This is comics. Deaths are never permanent. Any writer who wanted to could bring back any of Scourge's victims if they cared that much. Gru wouldn't be the first writer who killed characters he didn't like. Brubaker did it... to Gruenwald! I mean, in his run Brubaker killed Jack (pathetically), killed Dennis (REALLY pathetically), and had Rachel try to pick up on Steve while he was dating Sharon and right in front of Sharon (at least Brubaker made her a SHIELD agent though, so yay for that, that was way better than the fate Spencer gave her). Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I always figured Brubaker had it out for Gruenwald, just a tiny bit.
    Hmm, maybe. That said, I do agree with your first paragraph. It would definitely be better if people could just agree to disagree or politely ignore what they don't like. Alas, this is the Internet, where you can get more hits/clicks/likes/follows the more viciously vitriolic you talk and act, never mind that if you were to talk or act the same in the real world, it would likely provoke someone to take a swing at you.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Art by Javier Rodriguez from History of the Marvel Universe #5.

Dear god, no. Please for the love of all that is holy keep this one AWAY from Steve.