Page 32 of 65 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Looking forward to the Weapon Plus issue with Wolverine in the most recent solicitations. Hoping it's a spiritual sequel in some way to Duggan's The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and his Cap and Deadpool: Death of Wolverine one shot. Also selfishly hoping Wade shows up here at some point as well.

All-New Member

What would people recommend as a good series of Captain America graphic novels

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SBD View Post

Thanks
    Anything by Gruenwald.. the Epic Collections are great. And all of Brubaker's run.. the Complete Collections and everything else.

------

Avengers Endgame was just incredible. I hope you all are able to see it and enjoy it as much as I did. For Steve and for the Avengers.. just incredible.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SBD View Post

Thanks
    Daredevil Born Again. Yes the title is Daredevil and it's a story of him and Kingpin but Cap is a major character in the story and it's both s great graphic novel and a great story about Captain America. I also recommend Roger Stern's Captain America and his Avengers Under Siege which is both a great Avengers and a great Captain America story. And also Madbomb which is one of Kirby's best.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Daredevil Born Again. Yes the title is Daredevil and it's a story of him and Kingpin but Cap is a major character in the story and it's both s great graphic novel and a great story about Captain America. I also recommend Roger Stern's Captain America and his Avengers Under Siege which is both a great Avengers and a great Captain America story. And also Madbomb which is one of Kirby's best.
    Agree with all of your choices. But don't forget the Waid/Garney Cap run before Heroes Reborn. Another recommendation would be Roy Thomas' Invaders from the mid-1970's. Also a good read is the Adventures of Captain America from Nicieza/Maguire & Austin.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 04-28-2019 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Made an addition.

BANNED

Captain America #173 May 1974
    The original X-Men appear in "The Sins of the Secret Empire!"
    As Captain America and the Falcon are meeting with Professor X and company about making common cause against their mysterious enemy,
    the group is suddenly surrounded by SHIELD agents and State Police, led by Nick Fury calling on the wanted heroes to surrender.
    The heroes, however, decide to fight back, pulling their punches against their opponents until Cyclops
    is able to use his optic blast to set fire to the brush, creating a flaming barrier between the two groups.
    Fury begins to wonder if there is some truth in the accusations made by the Committee to Re-gain America’s Principles.
    Seeking refuge in an abandoned mine tunnel, Professor X explains that several of his people—Angel, Beast, Iceman, Polaris and Havok—
    have gone missing and their arch-enemy Magneto is not responsible. The Professor has determined that the enemy is really the Secret Empire,
    the brains behind the Committee to Re-gain America’s Principles and its scheme to discredit Cap.

Their only lead: Beast’s girlfriend Linda Donaldson who may be an agent of the Secret Empire.
    Xavier is correct: Linda is indeed Agent 9 of the sinister organization, and she is assigned to steal the Brand Corporation’s new electron-gyro.
    Xavier’s plan unfolds: Cyclops attempts to "kidnap" Linda and she is rescued by
    two unemployed workers (Steve and Sam in disguise) to gain her confidence.

Later, the two incognito heroes receive a visit from a hooded representative of the Secret Empire, hiring them to steal the gyro for them.
    At midnight, Cap and the Falcon, in costume, break into the Brand Factory and seize the gyro.
    Spotted by guards, the heroes overcome them without harming them and make their getaway.
    The guards prepare to alert the police when the boss, Mr. Black, orders them to keep quiet about the matter:
    it seems Cap left a note explaining that he needed the gyro to help prove his innocence and Mr. Black believes him.
    Resuming their disguises, Steve and Sam deliver the gyro to the Secret Empire agent who takes them out
    to the desert where he opens a hidden entrance to their underground lair, and the heroes are ushered in.

Moments later, Professor X, Cyclops and Marvel Girl also arrive…to wait.

Script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Vince Colletta

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Hi guys ! I really love the Captain America of First Avenger and Civil War (and some of the MCU movies), and I’d like to know if you have a list of must-read issues, runs or series where I could find a Captain like that.

I must be wrong but I always thought that 616-Steve was a cold and monolithic character and I’d love to read something that shows me an inspiring Captain America.

I already have Brubaker and Remender runs, if it helps.

Thanks a lot !
    Last edited by Spider-Ham; 05-14-2019 at 02:29 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    Hi guys ! I really love the Captain America of First Avenger and Civil War (and some of the MCU movies), and I’d like to know if you have a list of must-read issues, runs or series where I could find a Captain like that.

I must be wrong but I always thought that 616-Steve was a cold and monolithic character and I’d love to read something that shows me an inspiring Captain America.

Thanks a lot !
    I would not call him cold and monolithic...but he tends to be a bit of a square.

Thanks a lot !
    I think you would really enjoy Ed Brubaker’s run on Captain America. Brubaker is a fantastic writer and IMO MCU Steve is quite similar. Vol 1 of the complete collection is on Amazon for like 16.00 right now and features, The Winter Soldier story arc.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Thanks a lot !
    DeMatteis/Zeck and Gruenwald's runs.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Thank you so much guys !

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    One of my favorite Cap moments came from Under Siege.
    SO agreed!! And I loooooovved the comicbook character CA being comforted by the comicbook character Captain Marvel!!! Wonder what Roger Awesome Stern has planned for him and Captain Marvel when the comicbook character Loki shows up after Under Siege in the one-shot come September 2019.

Thanks a lot !
    616!Cap is FAR from "cold and monolithic" but I can see why you would think that given both Brubaker and later Remender tried to 'modernize' Cap by making him more grimdark, which was popular storytelling at the time. re: all of his angst, none of his sense of humor or hobbies or idiosyncrasies. Me, I prefer Waid, Gruenwald, Stern and most recently, Coates. Might I suggest Captain America vol. 3 by Mark Waid. Sentinel of Liberty by Mark Waid. Man Out of Time by Mark Waid. Captain America No More/John Walker arc by Mark Gruenwald (#332-350), Cap!Wolf by Mark Gruenwald (#402-407) Steve as a comic book artist by Mark Gruenwald (#310-312). Roger Sterns run (#247-255). And, of course, the recent Coates run is fabulous. When you're done with that let me know, I have more!

Happy Birthday to Cap writer Mark Gruenwald.

steve1.jpg
    steve3.jpg
    steve4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Happy Birthday to Cap writer Mark Gruenwald.

steve1.jpg
    steve3.jpg
    steve4.jpg
    steve8.jpg
    steve5.jpg
    steve6.jpg