Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 586 to 600 of 670
  1. #586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    Yeah, no emotional impact for me at all... but I guess you can tell from my avatar where I land on this issue.
    I don't see real Fury hunting Cap as realistic. He knows better. He wouldn't be so easily misled. But this story just makes me think it would be ten times better if Ultimate Fury was the one hunting him. He wouldn't have the history with Steve that would soften his approach. He's also someone who might realistically have made some kind of deal with Lukin. Personally I think Marcus Johnson and Amanda Armstrong should mercy kill one another for the sake of the marvel universe.
    "I just don't get why you wouldn't want to break the law anymore" --Scorpia

  2. #587
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I don't see real Fury hunting Cap as realistic. He knows better. He wouldn't be so easily misled. But this story just makes me think it would be ten times better if Ultimate Fury was the one hunting him. He wouldn't have the history with Steve that would soften his approach. He's also someone who might realistically have made some kind of deal with Lukin. Personally I think Marcus Johnson and Amanda Armstrong should mercy kill one another for the sake of the marvel universe.
    I feel kind of bad that I'd be totally down with this .

    But yeah, I don't think OG!Fury would seriously hunt down Cap. And Jr. isn't Ultimate Fury so there isn't even that novelty.

  3. #588
    Incredible Member Electricmastro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    987

    Default

    Read Captain America #275 (November, 1982) and it got me thinking. While I agree that there's dialogue that could have been worded better, such as Cap's "two of a kind" line, I think it at the very least can help stir up a discussion on whether or not America should take rights, such as freedom of speech, away from malicious groups and whether or not America should use violence against said malicious groups, however small they may be at any give time, as much as possible as a means to a greater end. I imagine quite a number of people have questioned how well-intentioned J.Marc DeMatteis was when he wrote that comic, or how in-character Cap himself is, but for those of you that have read it, what did you make of it?
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 09-21-2019 at 03:25 PM.

  4. #589
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    6,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Read Captain America #275 (November, 1982) and it got me thinking. While I agree I agree that there's dialogue that could have been worded better, such as Cap's "two of a kind" line, I think it at the very least can help stir up a discussion on whether or not America should take rights, such as freedom from speech, away from malicious groups and whether or not America should use violence against said malicious groups, however small they may be at any give time, as much as possible as a means to a greater end. I imagine quite a number of people have questioned how well-intentioned J.Marc DeMatteis was when he wrote that comic, or how in-character Cap himself is, but for those of you that have read it, what did you make of it?
    Hmm, very thought-provoking question. Personally, I'm of the school of thought that says, "My rights end where yours begin." To me, if you're going to exploit First Amendment rights as a shield from being held accountable for inciting or encouraging harm or violence to others, that's something that absolutely has to be checked and curbed as much as possible, or else as history has repeatedly shown, it opens the door for even worse things to happen.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  5. #590
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Read Captain America #275 (November, 1982) and it got me thinking. While I agree that there's dialogue that could have been worded better, such as Cap's "two of a kind" line, I think it at the very least can help stir up a discussion on whether or not America should take rights, such as freedom of speech, away from malicious groups and whether or not America should use violence against said malicious groups, however small they may be at any give time, as much as possible as a means to a greater end. I imagine quite a number of people have questioned how well-intentioned J.Marc DeMatteis was when he wrote that comic, or how in-character Cap himself is, but for those of you that have read it, what did you make of it?
    Who gets to define when it is OK? Whoever has power in D.C. at the time?

  6. #591
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    6,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Who gets to define when it is OK? Whoever has power in D.C. at the time?
    Wasn't that what motivated Captain America's stance in the original Civil War? That he wasn't going to sign up or force other superheroes to sign up to let Washington, D.C. tell him or them who the bad guys were, especially after he quit being Captain America back in the 1980s because he doubted the rightness of what the government was asking him to do for them?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  7. #592
    Incredible Member Electricmastro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Hmm, very thought-provoking question. Personally, I'm of the school of thought that says, "My rights end where yours begin." To me, if you're going to exploit First Amendment rights as a shield from being held accountable for inciting or encouraging harm or violence to others, that's something that absolutely has to be checked and curbed as much as possible, or else as history has repeatedly shown, it opens the door for even worse things to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Who gets to define when it is OK? Whoever has power in D.C. at the time?
    Yeah, it's harder to defend the rights of a group that doesn't really care to defend your own rights in the first place.

    I suppose if someone in the future wants to come along and draw the line as if an absolute statement of authority in regards to which beliefs are acceptable and which aren't, then I imagine that "line-drawer" will have a lot to answer up to and receive quite a bit of pushback, even on the well-intentioned grounds of purging American society of bad-intentioned idiots that seek to hurt others for selfish gain.


  8. #593
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    6,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Yeah, it's harder to defend the rights of a group that doesn't really care to defend your own rights in the first place.

    I suppose if someone in the future wants to come along and draw the line as if an absolute statement of authority in regards to which beliefs are acceptable and which aren't, then I imagine that "line-drawer" will have a lot to answer up to and receive quite a bit of pushback, even on the well-intentioned grounds of purging American society of bad-intentioned idiots that seek to hurt others for selfish gain.

    They can express themselves. Then other people can express themselves right back. The problem is that the neo-Nazis who want to talk about freedom of speech/expression only mean it for themselves and flip out whenever they're called out on the vileness of their rhetoric and what they're advocating for.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  9. #594
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    456

    Default

    You all know what the current storyline is missing? Cap's personal Quinjet...Flagship One. Got a "Hall of Costumes" but there is not a hangar/vehicle bay with all his transpo.

    Does anyone happen to have the old cutaway they did for his jet??

  10. #595
    Incredible Member capandkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    741

    Default

    YES STEVE, GO OFF!!!



  11. #596
    Incredible Member Electricmastro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    They can express themselves. Then other people can express themselves right back. The problem is that the neo-Nazis who want to talk about freedom of speech/expression only mean it for themselves and flip out whenever they're called out on the vileness of their rhetoric and what they're advocating for.
    And I don't doubt that. I suppose it's realistic enough to say that it's not everyday that villains, however objectively in the wrong they are, suddenly turn over a new leaf and reform, and that it instead inevitably gets to a point where the ones opposing them and are non-violently expressing themselves in opposition to them isn't enough anymore and violence has to be used, if only for defensive purposes at the very least, which I think was a main point Cap was getting at.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 09-25-2019 at 10:23 AM.

  12. #597
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    186

    Default

    I’m really enjoying this book each month. Love Coates’ handling of Steve’s voice and internal dialogue, especially. It’s been a highlight for me since the book started. REALLY loved Steve’s monologue and whooping on the watchdogs.

    We’re approaching a point now where there’s a lot of characters in play and a lot going on. Can’t wait to see where we’re headed, although I really hope we get Steve back in costume soon.

  13. #598
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    6,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    And I don't doubt that. I suppose it's realistic enough to say that it's not everyday that villains, however objectively in the wrong they are, suddenly turn over a new leaf and reform, and that it instead inevitably gets to a point where the ones opposing them and are non-violently expressing themselves in opposition to them isn't enough anymore and violence has to be used, if only for defensive purposes at the very least, which I think was a main point Cap was getting at.
    Point.

    Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    YES STEVE, GO OFF!!!


    Cosigned.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  14. #599
    Incredible Member Electricmastro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    YES STEVE, GO OFF!!!


    Great fight scenes. That internal dialogue could use some better editing though...

  15. #600
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    415

    Default

    Ugh! The art is terrible. The plot is moving glacially. One wonders if the Selene narrative has been postponed in light of the happenings in X books.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •