Page 4 of 65 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Mmm.. not bad. But I miss Yu already.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Same. Yu’s art was perfect for the tone of the book.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Yeah, it feels a little early to switch out artists for a whole arc already. I do hope Yu comes back because I've never enjoyed his art as much as I did on Cap.

How's everyone here feel about Coates run so far??I really liked the first couple of issues but ended up getting distracted by life. Is it worth getting caught up again?

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    How's everyone here feel about Coates run so far??I really liked the first couple of issues but ended up getting distracted by life. Is it worth getting caught up again?
    IMO it’s definitely worth picking up the entire thing. Coates is doing a fantastic job. Best Cap run in a good long while.

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    IMO it’s definitely worth picking up the entire thing. Coates is doing a fantastic job. Best Cap run in a good long while.
    Seconded. It's been at the top of my read pile every month.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Feel the same way. And that’s not the Strucker I’ve known ... you know, old craggy Nazi weapons master blah blah blah. Truly best role he played was Nick Fury’s foil in Wheels within Wheels arc during Hickman’s Secret Warriors ... when Fury put a bullet in him. Now he seems kind of ... alive, and maybe younger(can’t tell)?

I’m hoping Coates keeps up with the continuity thing here, which of course has suffered since Hickman’s Secret Wars and Spencer’s Secret Empire.

Frankly, I’m still adjusting to this post Secret Empire world.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    That art is still really nice, but yeah, Yu is hard to top. They’re just so, so good. Hope they come back, but at least the replacement is still good.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    Yeah, it feels a little early to switch out artists for a whole arc already. I do hope Yu comes back because I've never enjoyed his art as much as I did on Cap.
    Yu already said goodbye.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

BANNED

Why is Selene involved? it's been a good arc, but she's an odd choice.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Why is Selene involved? it's been a good arc, but she's an odd choice.
    She's encountered Steve before, during Gruenwald's Cap run. In fact, she had Steve under her thrall until Rachel Leighton came to his rescue. It's actually a pretty hilarious few panels...

Selene 1.jpg
    Selene 2.jpg

"Drop her"

*splash* "Kay."

LOL.

...so either Coates is going to reference that encounter for some reason or she's narratively useful to him for whatever else is coming. There seems to be this underlying theme of cheating death and resurrection in this run thus far. Selene, being immortal, fits with that theme. I mean, you have Sharon Carter talking about age in the first issue, giving a short monologue about it. You have "Alexa" resurrecting her husband, Aleksander Lukin, from the dead, only he's now possessed by Red Skull, with a lengthy monologue from her mentor beforehand on how resurrecting the dead may not always be a good thing (reminiscent of the warning in Pet Sematary). And we started with all these Nuke clones. So while the main story seems to focus on Russia wanting to dismantle the symbol of Captain America - take away the hope, the dream, in order to better conquer - I get the feeling that Coates is building towards something Selene might be uniquely suited for, story-wise.

He really is doing a fantastic job, the more I ponder the layering in all of this, the more artful it becomes.

Spectacular Member

^^Hmmm. Nice catches and thoughts on the themes Coates is running with! Gonna keep that in mind when I do a read through again soon.

CapandFrank.JPG

Someone posted this on twitter. It's from Punisher/Captain America "We the People" by Klaus Janson, DG Chichester and Margaret Clark.

Good lord, Frank. Jesus. Steve Rogers: voice of reason™.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 01-29-2019 at 04:52 PM.

I'd love to see the two of them cross paths more. I've said before that I have a feeling their two ongoing solo books are on a bit of a collision course.

spoilers:
    BERNIE FREAKIN ROSENTHAL, god it's good to see you. I mean, I wish it were under better circumstances, but still. Sharon, jealousy is not a good look on you.
    end of spoilers