Page 44 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "Powers Enterprises?" We Batman Beyond now :P?

I wonder how long Sharon is going to be old...
    Power Enterprises, actually, though it would be cool if a Batman Beyond reference accidentally slipped in there, as Return of the Joker did reference Captain America when Terry was trying to speculate on the Joker's return.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

"Powers Enterprises?" We Batman Beyond now :P?

I wonder how long Sharon is going to be old...
    Coates addressed this early on with his Instagram account. He said, paraphrasing, something along the lines that originally he did plan to de-age her early on, but Helen Mirren being so kick ass inspired him not to. Which, as a 42-year-old female, is a sentiment I appreciate. As much as I love her (Red - so good), Helen Mirren is an outlier and most of the time Hollywood considers any woman past 30 as being past her prime, who therein must be relegated to exasperated mother or grandmother roles. So it's great that Coates is trying to combat that stigma, even if just a little bit.

That said, with the reintroduction of Peggy, I have a feeling Steve and Sharon's relationship isn't long for this world (and trust me, I sincerely hope I'm wrong on this, in fact I would celebrate if I'm wrong on this). It just seems like the comics are bending over backwards to mirror the MCU. The icing on the cake was the 'Steve's early childhood' page in Marvel #1000 which depicted Bucky as Steve's childhood BFF instead of Arnie Roth. It was upsetting to say the least.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 10-11-2019 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Coates addressed this early on with his Instagram account. He said, paraphrasing, something along the lines that originally he did plan to de-age her early on, but Helen Mirren being so kick ass inspired him not to. Which, as a 42-year-old female, is a sentiment I appreciate. As much as I love her (Red - so good), Helen Mirren is an outlier and most of the time Hollywood considers any woman past 30 as being past her prime, who therein must be relegated to exasperated mother or grandmother roles. So it's great that Coates is trying to combat that stigma, even if just a little bit.

That said, with the reintroduction of Peggy, I have a feeling Steve and Sharon's relationship isn't long for this world (and trust me, I sincerely hope I'm wrong on this, in fact I would celebrate if I'm wrong on this). It just seems like the comics are bending over backwards to mirror the MCU. The icing on the cake was the 'Steve's early childhood' page in Marvel #1000 which depicted Bucky as Steve's childhood BFF instead of Arnie Roth. It was upsetting to say the least.
    I absolutely love seeing older women who can kick butt, but using Sharon in that place feels kind of like cheating .

I didn't even realize the continuity error with that Marvel #1000 story...

BANNED

I'm not so sure Coates is leaving, there are too many loose plot threads here that can't really be tied up in just a few issues, re: Selene, whatever that thing was that she did to Hydra!Cap that hasn't been visited since, Lukin with Red Skull in his body, and now we know the Chadwicks are involved, too. And whatever is going on with Peggy. I've gotten the impression that Coates has this thing planned out for the long haul. At least, I hope so. Because if they try to resolve all of that too quickly (a la GoT s8) it's going to feel like a bit of a let down. I hear you on seeing Steve back in the mantle, though, I mean, it would be nice if Avengers, Invaders and the Cap book showed some kind of unification, he's 'Cap' in both those other books.
    I've really been enjoying Coates' run so I'm in no hurry for him to go (even if I am in a hurry to see Steve back as Cap!). I do hope they get a regular first class artist back on the book, though. The fill ins aren't cutting it for me.

I absolutely love seeing older women who can kick butt, but using Sharon in that place feels kind of like cheating .
    That's a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I've really been enjoying Coates' run so I'm in no hurry for him to go (even if I am in a hurry to see Steve back as Cap!). I do hope they get a regular first class artist back on the book, though. The fill ins aren't cutting it for me.
    Completely agree!

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Steve with some of the 1960s Avengers by Alex Ross:

I didn't even realize the continuity error with that Marvel #1000 story...

As for the continuity error, yes, Steve's childhood best friend was Arnie Roth. He didn't even meet Bucky until after he received the serum and became Captain America. The troubling thing about Marvel doing this, i.e. ret-conning Steve's history, is that the Arnie Roth story has cultural/political significance. DeMatteis wrote it in 1982, at the height of the AIDS crises, when homophobia was an even bigger plague than it is now. Arnie was gay and had a live-in, common-law husband, Michael. Writing this story, given the paranoia and rampart hate at the time, was actually very brave of DeMatteis. Even though the CCA was still around at the time DeMatteis got around them and wrote the story anyway. He used Steve as a vehicle to teach acceptance, having Steve actively call out homophobia as being wrong on the page.

So yeah. Ret-conning Arnie out of existence is pretty ouch.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 10-11-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Absolute Carnage: The Avengers preview...

And the last page of preview...

The source

Thanks for sharing. Some fine writing so far. Been missing Cap and Spidey interacting.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Some fine writing so far. Been missing Cap and Spidey interacting.
    No problem. Did you read Tom Taylor's War of the Realms: Strikeforce the Land of Giants? There were some really awesome Cap and Spidey interactions in there, too. I love them on the page together.

No problem. Did you read Tom Taylor's War of the Realms: Strikeforce the Land of Giants? There were some really awesome Cap and Spidey interactions in there, too. I love them on the page together.
    Indeed, that was one of my favorite War of the Realms tie-ins for that reason.

Arnie Roth was only Steve's childhood friend in Moira Mactaggert's 7th life.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Steve with some of the 1960s Avengers by Alex Ross:

Alex Ross can do no wrong. Good times, indeed.

All-New Member

Marvel doing this now, with Steve's MCU story over and done, is so goddamned weird.

She could do with more butt kicking time. Feels like she's been stuck on mission control since partway through Brubaker's run.