Page 33 of 65 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    SO agreed!! And I loooooovved the comicbook character CA being comforted by the comicbook character Captain Marvel!!! Wonder what Roger Awesome Stern has planned for him and Captain Marvel when the comicbook character Loki shows up after Under Siege in the one-shot come September 2019.
    Totally looking forward to it. And thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    616!Cap is FAR from "cold and monolithic" but I can see why you would think that given both Brubaker and later Remender tried to 'modernize' Cap by making him more grimdark, which was popular storytelling at the time. re: all of his angst, none of his sense of humor or hobbies or idiosyncrasies. Me, I prefer Waid, Gruenwald, Stern and most recently, Coates. Might I suggest Captain America vol. 3 by Mark Waid. Sentinel of Liberty by Mark Waid. Man Out of Time by Mark Waid. Captain America No More/John Walker arc by Mark Gruenwald (#332-350), Cap!Wolf by Mark Gruenwald (#402-407) Steve as a comic book artist by Mark Gruenwald (#310-312). Roger Sterns run (#247-255). And, of course, the recent Coates run is fabulous. When you're done with that let me know, I have more!
    Wonderful choices, capandkirby. I would also suggest the DeMatteis run as well. A consistently solid run where Steve's relationship with Bernie is further developed, and we get to meet more of his supporting cast. And Cap's villainous enemies get their time in the spotlight as well.

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday tg1982!!!!

BANNED

Cool Happy Birthday Alan Davis!!!!

Captain America and Batroc The Leaper

by Alan Davis http://happybday.to/Alan-Davis

BANNED

Happy Birthday to the late GREAT Mark Gruenwald!!!!

Mark Gruenwald Interviewed by Joe Field 1988

Originally taped for a cable access TV show about comics, this interview was conducted by Joe Field at The Wonderful World of Comics Convention (before it was shortened to "WonderCon") in Oakland CA in April 1988.

Mark Gruenwald was a comic book writer, editor and occasional penciller who worked for Marvel Comics from 1978 to his passing (at the young age of 43) in 1996.

Joe Field is currently the owner of Flying Colors Comics in Concord CA. He is the founder of Free Comic Book Day.

This interview was taped months before the opening of Flying Colors.

BANNED

Captain America: The First Avenger - "Be a good man"
    Dr. Erskine explains to Steve Rogers why he was chosen to test the Super Soldier formula.
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 06-18-2019 at 11:16 AM.

BANNED

Captain America #174 Jun 1974
    The original X-Men appear in "It's Always Darkest...!"
    Cap and Falcon are disguised as possible employees of the Secret Empire to gain entry into their secret base to spy on what they are planning.
    They are found out and almost executed by laser beams. They are able to escape down an exhaust vent and then find a way to let in
    Professor X, Cyclops and Marvel Girl who are looking for lost X-Men and some other X-Men's villains who have mysteriously disappeared.

They locate the missing mutants, Beast, Iceman, Angel, Lorna Dane, Havok, Mastermind, Blob, Unus and Mesmero

who have been attached to a turntable that will use their mental patterns to project a force field.
    The mutants are set free, but then the Secret Empire uses the Atomic Annihilator on the heroes

and appears to kill them all!

Script by Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Vince Colletta

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Wow. Even after all this time I’ve been away. Thank you!
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

I finished reading Secret Empire, tried catching up with Slotts iron man but I don’t think I wanna continue reading it. Imma drop it. Captain America is my next read. Do I pick Coates’ run? Or is there any book I should pick in between SE and the current run?

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    I finished reading Secret Empire, tried catching up with Slotts iron man but I don’t think I wanna continue reading it. Imma drop it. Captain America is my next read. Do I pick Coates’ run? Or is there any book I should pick in between SE and the current run?
    The best successor to Secret Empire is Amazing Spider-Man. I wish that was a joke.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The best successor to Secret Empire is Amazing Spider-Man. I wish that was a joke.
    Are we talkin about Slotts run? If so, you frontin

Coates' run has been incredible and is 100% dealing with the fallout of SE. Much more so than Waid's newer run did.

Spencer. 10char

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    No, he likely means Nick Spencer's current run on Amazing Spider-Man, which started last July and is now about to enter its second year, with 24-25 issues to show for it so far. We see the further adventures of Taskmaster and Black Ant, we see Boomerang pardoned for all his crimes because of the valuable aid he lent against HYDRA's takeover of the United States, we see Wilson Fisk in an elevated position, not just as mayor, but also because he provided for the ordinary people trapped and powerless when the hero community failed them, and Spencer's first big Spider-Event "Hunted" was kicked off by recreating the planetary shield that blocked all the cosmically powered heroes from going down there and making quick work of HYDRA --- only it was used to trap Spider-Man and a bunch of other animal-themed characters in Central Park for Kraven's true last hunt.

Also, cosigning cc008's post. Nothing against Waid, but he (or rather, Marvel) played it too safe with Cap after the fallout from Secret Empire, and I liked that Coates was willing (and so far, able) to address that head-on. The great Captain America runs have always asked tough, hard, even painful questions about what America really means and stands for and who gets to define what America is, and so far, Coates is doing well in that sense.
    Last edited by Huntsman Spider; 06-29-2019 at 02:31 PM.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Coates' run has been incredible and is 100% dealing with the fallout of SE. Much more so than Waid's newer run did.
    Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Spencer. 10char
    Thank you! I’m definitely checking it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    No, he likely means Nick Spencer's current run on Amazing Spider-Man, which started last July and is now about to enter its second year, with 24-25 issues to show for it so far. We see the further adventures of Taskmaster and Black Ant, we see Boomerang pardoned for all his crimes because of the valuable aid he lent against HYDRA's takeover of the United States, we see Wilson Fisk in an elevated position, not just as mayor, but also because he provided for the ordinary people trapped and powerless when the hero community failed them, and Spencer's first big Spider-Event "Hunted" was kicked off by recreating the planetary shield that blocked all the cosmically powered heroes from going down there and making quick work of HYDRA --- only it was used to trap Spider-Man and a bunch of other animal-themed characters in Central Park for Kraven's true last hunt.

Also, cosigning cc008's post. Nothing against Waid, but he (or rather, Marvel) played it too safe with Cap after the fallout from Secret Empire, and I liked that Coates was willing (and so far, able) to address that head-on. The great Captain America runs have always asked tough, hard, even painful questions about what America really means and stands for and who gets to define what America is, and so far, Coates is doing well in that sense.
    Well, about SpiderMan. I took a deal with the devil that I’d never ever read any SpiderMan issue until they retcon OMD. It’s been forever, but I do not regret my decision. It’s a wise decision for both my mental health and wallet

I’m surely checking out Cap though. Thank you! .