Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

No love for Englehart? Issues 153 through 156 was the shot of adrenaline Cap needed, propelling the book from certain demise to top spot in the Marvel line. That renaissance would continue through Secret Empire. Kirby’s return ended that thoughtful introspected series. What Steve Englehart could’ve achieved if he had continued on the book with solid art ... we will never know.

7619E4A3-476A-4012-94C6-8E2929B7A21E.jpg

There are a lot of Cap writers I love. Some more than others. I love Waid. I love Stern. I love Englehart. And I love what Coates has been doing so far. But my heart of hearts is owned by Gruenwald, because to this day I cannot read this comic (Cap #332) and not feel something. No matter how many times I've read it I always get chills. Pretty powerful stuff. And still relevant, to this day, and it was written in 1987! In my mind this speech rivals that of Steve's "No, you move" speech in Amazing Spider-Man #537.

1_lWpbwedTOtivun5zBwyRug.jpg

(That's not to say Gruenwald didn't have his turkeys, though. What even was the Superia Strategem story? Did Gruenwald watch "Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death" one weekend and decide, 'hey, that's it! I'm going to make that into a Cap story!'?).

And then another moment, this time without a speech.

F3A04EB6-E1F7-4A05-872B-C533DA65ED4C.jpg

One of my favorite Cap moments came from Under Siege.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-19-2019 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Made a correction.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Steve Englehart/Sal Buscema run on Cap is definitive.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    One of my favorite Cap moments came from Under Siege.
    I love that moment, too. Really highlighted Steve's more sentimental side, and his love of his mother. I can count on one hand the number of times a writer has allowed Steve to cry. So I applaud writers when they do it. Because, yes, while I realize that Steve is a badass, and also a tadbit repressed, not allowing him to express grief after all of the terrible crap that has happened to him just feeds into the Mark Miller brand of overt toxic masculinity.

The best of Roger Stern's Cap, is, in my opinion Cap #250 (which also had a what-if version done of it).

America starts campaigning for Cap as president. The problem? They forget to tell Cap that he's supposed to be running for president.

This creates a hilarious reaction from Steve:
    RCO011.jpg
    An even more hilarious reaction from other heroes:
    RCO013.jpg
    And ends with a poignant version of Steve's infamous "I don't support the government, I support the dream" speech:
    RCO017.jpg

The 'what-if' comic had Steve actually running on an independent ticket and winning. And in the Ultimates reality Steve became president. But our 616!Steve? He'd rather do just about anything else. And considering he's been: a teacher, a police officer, worked as a free-lance artist in advertising, worked at the docks (to keep it real) and a comic book artist (no, really), I do mean that literally.

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    The best of Roger Stern's Cap, is, in my opinion Cap #250 (which also had a what-if version done of it).

America starts campaigning for Cap as president. The problem? They forget to tell Cap that he's supposed to be running for president.

This creates a hilarious reaction from Steve:
    RCO011.jpg
    An even more hilarious reaction from other heroes:
    RCO013.jpg
    And ends with a poignant version of Steve's infamous "I don't support the government, I support the dream" speech:
    RCO017.jpg

The 'what-if' comic had Steve actually running on an independent ticket and winning. And in the Ultimates reality Steve became president. But our 616!Steve? He'd rather do just about anything else. And considering he's been: a teacher, a police officer, worked as a free-lance artist in advertising, worked at the docks (to keep it real) and a comic book artist (no, really), I do mean that literally.

I suppose we'll see whether or not MCU Steve is allowed to retire and become the president.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I suppose we'll see whether or not MCU Steve is allowed to retire and become the president.
    If Cap survives Endgame, I’m guessing they’ll go the Commander Rogers/America’s Top Cop route rather than president. Just a hunch. And the first thing he’ll do in that position is abolish the Accords (SHRA) and pardon everyone who was on his side during Civil War just like he did in Siege.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 01-20-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Astonishing Member

My favorite Cap.

If Cap survives Endgame, I’m guessing they’ll go the Commander Rogers/America’s Top Cop route rather than president. Just a hunch. And the first thing he’ll do in that position is abolish the Accords (SHRA) and pardon everyone who was on his side during Civil War just like he did in Siege.
    Yeah I feel the same. Sort of the same about Tony as well. He'll become Director of SHIELD but retire as Iron Man, so RDJ can still appear if need be.

Anyone who writes Steve as humorless or a goody-goody is not doing it right. Just ask creators Joe Simon and Jack Kirby...

RCO032_1468948162.jpg

Captain America #4 by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Yeah I feel the same. Sort of the same about Tony as well. He'll become Director of SHIELD but retire as Iron Man, so RDJ can still appear if need be.
    Without a doubt. The rumors that either/or are going to die underestimates the fact that Disney, at the end of the day, is a business and that the sheer bulk of their profit for the intellectual properties they own doesn't come from box office, it comes from licensing their characters out for merch. None of the title characters are going to die. I mean, they could, but they'll probably be brought back again and the death won't be permanent. They'll bring them out for the occasional cameo to remind people to buy t-shirts.

I think the only way they'd kill off any of the heroes who have had their own movies would be if the actor demanded a death like Harrison Ford did with Han Solo.

April solicitation...

CAPTAIN AMERICA #10

TA-NEHISI COATES (W)

ADAM KUBERT (A)

Cover by ALEX ROSS ASGARDIAN VARIANT COVER BY NICK BRADSHAW

CAPTAIN OF NOTHING continues! A prison riot is the best possible cover to break Captain America out of confinement -- but what if the Star-Spangled Avenger doesn't want to go?

32 pages, $3.99.

...Steve, come on. Go.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

April solicitation...

CAPTAIN AMERICA #10

TA-NEHISI COATES (W)

ADAM KUBERT (A)

Cover by ALEX ROSS ASGARDIAN VARIANT COVER BY NICK BRADSHAW

CAPTAIN OF NOTHING continues! A prison riot is the best possible cover to break Captain America out of confinement -- but what if the Star-Spangled Avenger doesn't want to go?

32 pages, $3.99.

...Steve, come on. Go.
    Steve's a righteous man like that. He doesn't want to break out without having proven his innocence first or something like that. Given the arc, he might see it as a way to argue his case directly to the people and appeal to the better angels of their nature. Then again, he had the same idea at the end of the original Civil War and he got shot "dead" for it. Maybe that's the real purpose of the prison riot --- for someone from the Power Elite to kill Steve in the confusion and chaos of it all.
    The spider is always on the hunt.