Page 24 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

I mean, the MCU could have AT LEAST put in this scene...

DriversLicense.JPG

My thoughts on today's Cap issue as posted on twitter...

Being a Cap fan is frustrating because Steve is too damn noble for his own damn good. Ugh, today's Cap issue. Steve, I love you, but I want to shake you. Can't even bare to watch a criminal suffer and in the process of saving him you just made life more difficult for yourself.

Seriously, my main dude has no self-preservation instincts. None. And now we have to wait six weeks for the next one because it got pushed back two weeks. That's just mean, Marvel.

I mean, it's utterly Steve though. Of course he's not going to sit by and keep a low profile if he sees someone being bullied, even a convicted criminal. A+ characterization. But JFC on a cracker Steven Rogers. Did you have to poke the hornets nest?!

Coates is the best Cap writer we've had in ages but I swear he's giving me anxiety. That's the mark of an excellent writer, though, so kudos for that.

The art in today's issue was good. You can just see the wheels turning in Steve's head as he contemplates being his noble, self-sacrificing, idiot self.

CapJail1.jpg
    CapJail2.jpg
    CapJail3.jpg
    Last edited by capandkirby; 04-03-2019 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Yes, Bernie is his lawyer. It's awesome. And since you mention it, yeah, in the panel before this one Sharon was snapping at Bernie, which is why Bernie (and Steve) are giving her a look in the panels I posted above. It could probably be interpreted as something other than jealousy though, since they are in a tough situation... or it can easily interpreted as jealousy on Sharon's part.

Attachment 80663

And not to pull a Catwoman here, but... I don't think superheroes are allowed to be happy. Like they need their eternal angst and just general... unrest, with life, to fuel them. It's hard to say how readers would react to a happily settled down Steve Rogers with a house, a white picket fence, and 2.5 kids. A large part of Steve is that conflict between his role as Cap and his personal life, recent years in comics notwithstanding. In a way this is why the MCU films have been a little disappointing to me, as a long-time Cap fan. I mean, they've done a great job with Cap don't get me wrong. First Avenger was more than I'd ever thought I'd see, I may or may not have got a bit misty eyed my first time watching it. But MCU Steve never had that conflict between Steve Rogers and the identity of Captain America, of Steve having an existential crises fearing he was losing Steve entirely to Cap the way the comics have, hell, they haven't really delved too deeply into Steve being a man out of time, and that has been... disappointing. *shrug* I can easily be alone on this, though. Most Cap fans seem very satisfied with the MCU's portrayal. In the comics I just think the thought of Steve being completely settled in his own skin and blissfully happy might not be as interesting to read, that there needs to be some inner turmoil.

One of the reasons Roger Stern, whom I consider one of the greats, was blacklisted from Marvel (other than the fight with Gruenwald, which, even as a Cap fan who loves Gruenwald, I side-eye Gruenwald for) was he suggested that Peter Parker and MJ not get married. And I'll probably be hated for this but... I think he had a point, maybe not about those two specifically, but in the larger sense that superheroes need their eternal angst to fuel them.
    Hahah Sharon’s comment is funny. Totally Jealousy lel but why does she look so old?

And about superheroes not allowed to settle down and be happy? I kinda dislike it .. especially after what happened with OMD. I have dropped SpiderMan comics and I am only returning to em after they retcon it but I know they won’t.
    Steve could settle down and be like Superman from DC. He is allowed to marry have a kid and be a superhero.
    Wouldn’t a wife and a kid be more reason for writers to beat down our heroes? Making them face more struggles and angst?

My thoughts on today's Cap issue as posted on twitter...

Being a Cap fan is frustrating because Steve is too damn noble for his own damn good. Ugh, today's Cap issue. Steve, I love you, but I want to shake you. Can't even bare to watch a criminal suffer and in the process of saving him you just made life more difficult for yourself.

Seriously, my main dude has no self-preservation instincts. None. And now we have to wait six weeks for the next one because it got pushed back two weeks. That's just mean, Marvel.

I mean, it's utterly Steve though. Of course he's not going to sit by and keep a low profile if he sees someone being bullied, even a convicted criminal. A+ characterization. But JFC on a cracker Steven Rogers. Did you have to poke the hornets nest?!

Coates is the best Cap writer we've had in ages but I swear he's giving me anxiety. That's the mark of an excellent writer, though, so kudos for that.
    Dang! I can feel your frustration haha I can’t wait till I catch up. Sounds intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    Hahah Sharon’s comment is funny. Totally Jealousy lel but why does she look so old?

And about superheroes not allowed to settle down and be happy? I kinda dislike it .. especially after what happened with OMD. I have dropped SpiderMan comics and I am only returning to em after they retcon it but I know they won’t.
    Steve could settle down and be like Superman from DC. He is allowed to marry have a kid and be a superhero.
    Wouldn’t a wife and a kid be more reason for writers to beat down our heroes? Making them face more struggles and angst?
    True, I mean, you can work with it. Steve has had a child before (albeit an adopted one, Ian). And it worked for the plot of that particular run, though I'm glad they sort of retired it after. I don't know, maybe because I am married, and a parent, I just prefer not to see it in my fantasty. It's probably a personal preference thing, when it comes down to it. And a lot of time, it doesn't work in fiction, you have to have a really skilled writer to pull it off right. It's frustrating reading the Fantastic 4 sometimes because I judge Sue and Reed's parenting at times, lol. And remember the show Lois and Clark? The minute they put the two together romantically, the ratings tanked. And I'm convinced half of the drawl of the X-Files, other than the supernatural aspect, was the unresolved sexual tension between Mulder and Scully. I don't know, it's just, for me, half of Steve's shtick is not losing himself to the mantle, trying to navigate finding his place in the world, and balancing his duties with carving a life for himself (I miss the Brooklyn Heights apartments when Steve was trying to be a normal citizen), so resolving that completely, while, true, can bring more and different potential storytelling, also means I would have to be able to let go of the old... which I'm not sure I want to? If that makes sense.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 04-03-2019 at 08:18 AM.

Dang! I can feel your frustration haha I can’t wait till I catch up. Sounds intriguing.
    It's really, really good. Coates has my full attention. I mean, when it comes to intrigue, this book has it in spades. But, yes, frustrating, because Steve has the self-preservation instincts of a moth dancing around a fire.

True, I mean, you can work with it. Steve has had a child before (albeit an adopted one, Ian). And it worked for the plot of that particular run, though I'm glad they sort of retired it after. I don't know, maybe because I am married, and a parent, I just prefer not to see it in my fantasty. It's probably a personal preference thing, when it comes down to it. And a lot of time, it doesn't work in fiction, you have to have a really skilled writer to pull it off right. It's frustrating reading the Fantastic 4 sometimes because I judge Sue and Reed's parenting at times, lol. And remember the show Lois and Clark? The minute they put the two together romantically, the ratings tanked. And I'm convinced half of the drawl of the X-Files, other than the supernatural aspect, was the unresolved sexual tension between Mulder and Scully. I don't know, it's just, for me, half of Steve's shtick is not losing himself to the mantle, trying to navigate finding his place in the world, and balancing his duties with carving a life for himself (I miss the Brooklyn Heights apartments when Steve was trying to be a normal citizen), so resolving that completely, while, true, can bring more and different potential storytelling, also means I would have to be able to let go of the old... which I'm not sure I want to? If that makes sense.
    Wow u r married and a parent and u still read comics? Ok that’s G O A L S
    I think for me , it’s about seeing my character grow or settle .. see a different side to them. But I understand, one of Steve’s core trait is his struggles balancing/figuring out Steve and CA. So with him achieving it .. feels like a closure which we don’t wanna see yet

Wow u r married and a parent and u still read comics? Ok that’s G O A L S
    I think for me , it’s about seeing my character grow or settle .. see a different side to them. But I understand, one of Steve’s core trait is his struggles balancing/figuring out Steve and CA. So with him achieving it .. feels like a closure which we don’t wanna see yet
    Exactly, you summed it up well.

And yes, I'm both a mom and a wife. I've read comics on and off (with some breaks here and there) since Gruenwald was writing Cap, so I'm a bit old school, lol. My father placed my first comic in my hands when I was around 9 or 10 years old, and it was love at first sight. My husband... tolerates my addiction (though, due to the number of boxes I have of comics, he accuses me of being a hoarder), but he knew what he was getting into when he married me so there's that. One of our first dates was me dragging him to a Star Trek convention (lucky, for him, I didn't make him wear the Spock ears).

spoilers:
    You know how we have both Steve and Stevil appearing here? I bet this Dryad Character is a younger Sharon Carter.
    end of spoilers
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    spoilers:
    You know how we have both Steve and Stevil appearing here? I bet this Dryad Character is a younger Sharon Carter.
    end of spoilers
    Fingers crossed!
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Oh now that is a VERY intriguing idea! I like it!

Just remember who you heard it from first ��
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Steve in War of the Realms. "Catch these hands" didn't strike me as particularly Steve-ish but then I remembered that Bernie was a wrestling fan and used to drag Steve to wrestling matches for dates (and Steve would spend the entire time critiquing the technique), where he could have easily picked that up. Good first issue, needed more Steve.

WoRCap1.jpg
    WoRCap2.jpg
    WoRCap3.jpg

...and the money shot...

WoRCap4.jpg