Page 25 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 375 of 662
  1. #361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Steve in War of the Realms. "Catch these hands" didn't strike me as particularly Steve-ish but then I remembered that Bernie was a wrestling fan and used to drag Steve to wrestling matches for dates (and Steve would spend the entire time critiquing the technique), where he could have easily picked that up. Good first issue, needed more Steve.
    "Catch these hands" is more AAVE, maybe he picked it up from Sam

  2. #362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    spoilers:
    You know how we have both Steve and Stevil appearing here? I bet this Dryad Character is a younger Sharon Carter.
    end of spoilers
    If only we could have such nice things.

  3. #363
    Incredible Member capandkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbdulAbulabulAmir View Post
    "Catch these hands" is more AAVE, maybe he picked it up from Sam
    I know, I just made the WWE reference because I know Jason Aaron, in particular, is a fan (he makes a lot of wrestling posts on twitter) and one of the wrestlers uses it as a catch phrase.

  4. #364
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Coates is the best Cap writer we've had in ages but I swear he's giving me anxiety. That's the mark of an excellent writer, though, so kudos for that.
    Yes, Coates is really putting Steve through the wringer! Today's issue was yet another slice of greatness from this run.

    Love everything about the story Coates is building. Man, it's going to be hard for Steve to turn things around.

    As for the theory posted here about Dryad's ID, an intriguing guess. We'll see if it turns out to be true!

  5. #365
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    865

    Default

    Like Secret Empire, I love and I hate his story at the same time. It's an excellent story, well-written, with a lot of twists.. But it's once again written by someone who don't like the symbol of Captain America, even if he likes Steve Rogers.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

  6. #366
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    Like Secret Empire, I love and I hate his story at the same time. It's an excellent story, well-written, with a lot of twists.. But it's once again written by someone who don't like the symbol of Captain America, even if he likes Steve Rogers.
    I think Coates likes the symbol of Captain America quite a bit but, like many other great Cap writers, he knows that there's great stories to be gained from questioning the meaning of the symbol and putting its - and Steve's - values to the test.

  7. #367
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    My thoughts on today's Cap issue as posted on twitter...

    Being a Cap fan is frustrating because Steve is too damn noble for his own damn good. Ugh, today's Cap issue. Steve, I love you, but I want to shake you. Can't even bare to watch a criminal suffer and in the process of saving him you just made life more difficult for yourself.

    Seriously, my main dude has no self-preservation instincts. None. And now we have to wait six weeks for the next one because it got pushed back two weeks. That's just mean, Marvel.

    I mean, it's utterly Steve though. Of course he's not going to sit by and keep a low profile if he sees someone being bullied, even a convicted criminal. A+ characterization. But JFC on a cracker Steven Rogers. Did you have to poke the hornets nest?!

    Coates is the best Cap writer we've had in ages but I swear he's giving me anxiety. That's the mark of an excellent writer, though, so kudos for that.
    Well said all around! Iím really loving this run so far. Some top notch Steve Rogers every issue, and some VERY interesting stuff surrounding him. Both scary and exciting.

  8. #368
    Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbdulAbulabulAmir View Post
    "Catch these hands" is more AAVE, maybe he picked it up from Sam
    He totally picked it up from Miles. :P
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

  9. #369
    Incredible Member capandkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    You are so right. That's exactly where he got it. And that correlation is adorable. I have that issue of Miles Morales, but didn't put that together. Great catch!

  10. #370
    Wily Veteran cc008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    12,791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    You are so right. That's exactly where he got it. And that correlation is adorable. I have that issue of Miles Morales, but didn't put that together. Great catch!
    Love Steve's attempt at wording the phrase too lol.

  11. #371
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,283

    Default

    Like Secret Empire, I love and I hate his story at the same time. It's an excellent story, well-written, with a lot of twists.. But it's once again written by someone who don't like the symbol of Captain America, even if he likes Steve Rogers.
    My politics are broadly in line with Spencer's. But, his run on "Captain America" was too polemical, and his stance far too partisan. (Considering that he has a background in third-party politics, telling Republicans and conservatives not to read his work was exceptionally poor trade-craft.)

    I disagree with Coatse on more than I agree with him on. But, I am liking his run on "Captain America".


    Either way, I would like to see Marvel give "Captain America" to a conservative writer in the near future. Characters like Captain America or DC's Uncle Sam are difficult (but not impossible) to write without being polemical. But, editors should take basic steps to avoid favoring one side of aisle at the expense of the other. "Captain America" was written by a controversial left-wing partisan in 2016. And, after a generic run, there is a follow-up arc written by another lefty.

    I would like to see Marvel recognize that politics is a spectrum.
    Current pull-file:
    -House of X
    -Powers of X
    -Superior Spider-Man
    -Transformers

    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

  12. #372
    Incredible Member capandkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I think Coates likes the symbol of Captain America quite a bit but, like many other great Cap writers, he knows that there's great stories to be gained from questioning the meaning of the symbol and putting its - and Steve's - values to the test.
    Agree with you entirely. I would add that he may also be redefining it a little, which is good. Because that's how a character like Captain America stays relevant. Steve standing for "The Dream" has always been transformative, because what "The Dream" means evolves over the passage of time. And there's so many nuances to it that haven't been considered by previous writers. Coates is the perfect writer to modernize that definition for today's world.

  13. #373
    Incredible Member capandkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    My politics are broadly in line with Spencer's. But, his run on "Captain America" was too polemical, and his stance far too partisan. (Considering that he has a background in third-party politics, telling Republicans and conservatives not to read his work was exceptionally poor trade-craft.)

    I disagree with Coatse on more than I agree with him on. But, I am liking his run on "Captain America".


    Either way, I would like to see Marvel give "Captain America" to a conservative writer in the near future. Characters like Captain America or DC's Uncle Sam are difficult (but not impossible) to write without being polemical. But, editors should take basic steps to avoid favoring one side of aisle at the expense of the other. "Captain America" was written by a controversial left-wing partisan in 2016. And, after a generic run, there is a follow-up arc written by another lefty.

    I would like to see Marvel recognize that politics is a spectrum.
    I would hate that with a fiery passion. Roger Stern said it best, and bluntly, Steve Rogers is a New Deal Democrat. To change that flies in the face of who we know Steve Rogers to be (it's no coincidence that every time he's given up the mantle of his own volition it has been during a Republican term, re: Nomad happened during the Nixon administration and The Captain happened during the Reagan administration). And also, writers have NO responsibility to remain centered, none, nor should they. That's censorship and it's bullcrap. We got rid of the Comics Code of Authority for good, thank goodness, we absolutely do not need that crap back again dictating what can and can't go into a comic. If someone does not like a writers perspective, then they can just not buy the comic. The republicans are not entitled to having a comic catered specifically to them.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 04-04-2019 at 08:08 AM.

  14. #374
    Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    I would hate that with a fiery passion. Roger Stern said it best, and bluntly, Steve Rogers is a New Deal Democrat. To change that flies in the face of who we know Steve Rogers to be (it's no coincidence that every time he's given up the mantle of his own volition it has been during a Republican term, re: Nomad happened during the Nixon administration and The Captain happened during the Reagan administration). And also, writers have NO responsibility to remain centered, none, nor should they. That's censorship and it's bullcrap. We got rid of the Comics Code of Authority for good, thank goodness, we absolutely do not need that crap back again dictating what can and can't go into a comic. If someone does not like a writers perspective, then they can just not buy the comic. The republicans are not entitled to having a comic catered specifically to them.
    About the only decent work done on Captain America by a right-wing comics artist is Frank Miller in Daredevil Born Again but Frankie boy was libertarian Randian back then in the '80s and he still had skill to write stuff that people who didn't agree with his politics could get in on, (Steve Ditko had that too back in the '60s). Apparently Miller when he was planning that Holy Terror abomination tried to pitch a Captain America project to Marvel but thankfully people turned him down.

    To be honest, a "New deal democrat" would, conceivably be on the right today on a number of issues, which Coates has discussed and mentioned in his non-fiction essays. I don't see Captain America as being either liberal or conservative. He is broadly a fighter of super-villains and conspiracies and so on. That works with any administration coded to exist or not exist. I don't think the current Captain America comics are making him overtly liberal and so on.

  15. #375

    Default

    in general, he seems like a pretty conservative guy to me but not right wing like John Walker.
    "I just don't get why you wouldn't want to break the law anymore" --Scorpia

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •