Page 27 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    What about the three glowing green balls?

Two months have passed in this book since Steve was imprisoned. Where does War of Realms fit in here?
    The timeline of everything has been bugging me too, because there's no reference of Steve's incarceration in any of this other appearances, not Avengers, not Invaders and not his brief cameos in other books (Carol's book, Tony's book, Miles' book). I think Coates run happens BEFORE Steve rejoins the Avengers. It might even happen prior to Waid's short mini last year. I say this for two reasons: one, he and Sharon were no longer living together when Steve went on his road-trip during Waid's run because Steve was looking for a place to live and in the Avengers run he's living in Celestial mountain, yet in Coates run they are living together. And two, Tony was already out of his coma during Waid's short mini because Steve mentioned him a few times, but in the actual Iron Man book at the time he wasn't yet. This would also explain the absence of Sam (which has been bugging me) in Coates run, because the events of Sam's solo would place Sam in Chicago during Steve's incarceration. Anyway, this is the best I can figure with the pieces we've been given. It's weird to me that none of Steve's other friends, the non-Cap staples, have shown up to visit him in prison and offer to break him out (Tony, Carol, Thor, T'Challa, the other Invaders besides Bucky), but if Coates run was closer to the end of Secret Empire that would explain it, because they're all otherwise predisposed.

The only glitch in this was that Ross had an appearance in Avengers and the whole reason Steve is in prison was that he was framed for Ross' murder. So maybe Ross comes back to life before the events of Avengers? Don't know. I'm not reading Incredible Hulk (although I've heard great things and am eyeing the trades) but maybe that book will address it (maybe it already has, can't say).

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Exactly, you summed it up well.

And yes, I'm both a mom and a wife. I've read comics on and off (with some breaks here and there) since Gruenwald was writing Cap, so I'm a bit old school, lol. My father placed my first comic in my hands when I was around 9 or 10 years old, and it was love at first sight. My husband... tolerates my addiction (though, due to the number of boxes I have of comics, he accuses me of being a hoarder), but he knew what he was getting into when he married me so there's that. One of our first dates was me dragging him to a Star Trek convention (lucky, for him, I didn't make him wear the Spock ears).
    I definitely wish I would continue doing what I love after having a family. Seems a bit fantasy-ic.
    Hahah it’s good that your husband don’t mind your comic addiction. I am not sure if I can date a guy that don’t share the same interest. I’d throw a fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Thanks for reminding me of the specific issue number and volume.

And yeah, that does suck. Having read Winter In America, I came away thinking, "This is what should've immediately come out of the gate following Secret Empire," but given all the negative publicity and ill will generated by that event, I understood why Marvel wanted to ease us back into good old Steve Rogers before putting us (and him) through the wringer again. That said, I will be waiting for Captain of Nothing when that arc comes out in full.
    No problem.

Yeah, Waid's recent run was... weird. To the point of being a tad bit jarring. Don't get me wrong. I love Waid's Cap. He has, hands down my favorite Steve Rogers' voice (he should, having written Steve on-and-off for 20 years). And Samnee's art was awesome, honestly, Chris Samnee is a gem and Marvel was stupid to not throw tons of money at him and resign him when his contract with Marvel expired. And, in the spirit of Waid, there were several cute and clever parts of his short 2017 run that I loved. And hey, other Cap fans must have loved it, because two of the issues, #695 and #700, both made the top ten in sales during their respective release months. But it didn't fit anywhere. And it didn't resolve anything. And it made no sense. I felt, the whole time reading it, that there was this massive elephant in the room they weren't addressing. I get it, too. It was smart marketing. Briefly return Steve to a very trusted writer with a long history with the character before trying to tackle Secret Empire again, but by that time I think even those who didn't like Secret Empire wanted to at least see the thing resolved, or, at least, addressed. It was like putting an intermission in the middle of the story. Oh, well, it is what it is, I guess. Guess it worked, like I said, Waid didn't do too badly in sales *shrug*.

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    I definitely wish I would continue doing what I love after having a family. Seems a bit fantasy-ic.
    Hahah it’s good that your husband don’t mind your comic addiction. I am not sure if I can date a guy that don’t share the same interest. I’d throw a fit.
    Having a family and doing what you love aren't mutually exclusive at all, it's fun. Just take your family along for the ride. My daughter has been attending SDCC with us every year since before she could walk. She loves it. She's also seen all of the MCU films, too, even if she can't remember the first phase of them. When she was a baby, we'd see them at a drive-in (the city I live in still has two) because we figured taking a baby into a movie theater and disturbing other movie goers, should she cry, wouldn't be cool. She loves to go to my local CBS with me and the owner always dotes on her. Her gymnastics class is right next door to it, so we're there all the time. I'm often reading comics while she's in class. It all works out.

Having a family and doing what you love aren't mutually exclusive at all, it's fun. Just take your family along for the ride. My daughter has been attending SDCC with us every year since before she could walk. She loves it. She's also seen all of the MCU films, too, even if she can't remember the first phase of them. When she was a baby, we'd see them at a drive-in (the city I live in still has two) because we figured taking a baby into a movie theater and disturbing other movie goers, should she cry, wouldn't be cool. She loves to go to my local CBS with me and the owner always dotes on her. Her gymnastics class is right next door to it, so we're there all the time. I'm often reading comics while she's in class. It all works out.
    I’m a messy person. Management is a foreign concept to me, so I don’t know if I can handle managing life and hobbies once I have a family.
    But your family sounds adorable. Maybe one day I could balance mine lel

I’m a messy person. Management is a foreign concept to me, so I don’t know if I can handle managing life and hobbies once I have a family.
    But your family sounds adorable. Maybe one day I could balance mine lel
    As long as you're happy, it's all good.

Thought this was cute...

JasonAaron.JPG

BANNED

It's pretty easy, actually.

Having a wife and son hasn't stopped me from continuing with my hobbies.

Mighty Member

We also forget that conservativism used to mean something quite different. You used to have Rockefeller Republicans and so on. And even now you have pockets, Clint Eastwood for instance is a Republican but he was a vocal opponent of the Iraq War and the War in Afghanistan and he appeared with Sean Penn to denounce it, and he's worked with actors of liberal bent in his movies. He's also in favor of gay marriage and LGBT rights and supports gun control.
    Yeah, crazy huh?

So Captain America being friendly to gay rights as he was in the '80s or enlightened about stuff doesn't necessarily mean he'd be de-facto liberal or conservative.
    Captain America has been written as a libertarian as well. And, libertarians tend to lean...right.

Sorry, I disagree with that. I generally hate most of Mark Millar's stuff with the exception of Marvel Knights: Spider-Man. But Red Son especially is pretty bad. Interesting premise and concept but just a total failure in imagination and execution.
    Not seeing it.

That said, predominantly, Cap writers have been liberal. Waid is a VERY outspoken liberal. As is Stern. And Coates, well, he's written several books on the subject, it goes without saying.
    And, because it has always been that way, it should always be that way. How....dare I say...conservative.

They don't HAVE to do anything, including hire a conservative writer just because Captain America hasn't had one (and thank god for that).
    I have read many of those runs. But, what is wrong with hearing from "the other side"?

Also remember that Captain America used to be a wingnut, a legit commie-smasher in the post-war era. And that version of the character didn't produce any good stories.
    That probably has more to do with the fact that comics generally sucked in the 50s than the politics of a specific series.

They basically told readers that the Cap since World War II was a fake, which Englehart confirmed.
    This was a stupid back-write. (They could have just said "ignore everything published from 1945 to 1963".) But, it is not as bad as Brubaker picking the scab, and adding more baggage to an OCD back-write.

We were robbed. Two-fold, actually, because with Burnside, we would have also received Monroe.
    Two obscure characters that nobody who has been reading comics for less than 20 years know about, and fewer care about.

The only reason that the 3 or 4 "other" Captain Americas exist was to patch over comics that Marvel did not want to address when they "modernized" Captain America in the 60s. And, Marvel had to make the filler-Captain in to 3 different characters because comic writers love their convoluted bullshit.

Two months have passed in this book since Steve was imprisoned. Where does War of Realms fit in here?
    I would assume that "War of the Realms" happens after this arc. But, I really do not think that Coatse cares. (Did "Superior Spider-Man" really match up with "Age of Ultron"? You don't even remember why it was a question either, do you?)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    I have read many of those runs. But, what is wrong with hearing from "the other side"?
    Because it doesn't jive with who Steve Rogers is as a person.

Steve is pro-immigration:

remender.jpg

He supports gay rights:

ArnieRoth.jpg

He champions for gender and race equality:

manoutoftime3.jpg

Because it doesn't jive with who Steve Rogers is as a person.

Steve is pro-immigration:

remender.jpg

He supports gay rights:

ArnieRoth.jpg

He champions for gender and race equality:

manoutoftime3.jpg
    He champions for prison reform:

prisonreform.jpg

He is anti war:

Cap1.jpg

He champions for prison reform:

prisonreform.jpg

He is anti war:

Cap1.jpg
    Steve was supporting the Me Too movement before there was a Me Too movement. He respects a woman's right to her body:

Nextwave#7.jpg

AvengersPrime4.jpg

Cap389.jpg

A character like Steve is based on his ideals. He, himself, identifies by those ideals. You change any of that and you are NOT writing Steve Rogers. You might as well just invent a new character and call him something else. The change would be too drastic. So to answer your question, that's why.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 04-05-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Mighty Member

The Koch Brothers are pro-immigration.

Log cabin Republicans exist.

Ralph Peters has consistently argued that women should have equal rights and responsibilities.

Trump supports prison reform.

Andrew Bacevich is anti-war (as are many isolationist conservatives).

Are you saying that all conservatives are misogynist, isolationist bigots?
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    The Koch Brothers are pro-immigration.

Log cabin Republicans exist.

Ralph Peters has consistently argued that women should have equal rights and responsibilities.

Trump supports prison reform.

Andrew Bacevich is anti-war (as are many isolationist conservatives).

Are you saying that all conservatives are misogynist, isolationist bigots?
    Not going to let you goad me into a straw-man with that last sentence.

And you realize that you had to name different people for each of those platforms/values, but failed to name a single conservative who supports all of them at once. Yet Steve is ONE person who does support them all. In other words, Steve is pro-immigration, pro-gay rights, pro-civil rights, a feminist, pro-prison reform, and anti war all in one handy-dandy package. Therefore Steve is liberal, as all of these things together pretty much cover the spectrum of liberal values. It's who he is. If the conservatives don't like it, they're more than welcome to just not buy Steve's comics. No one is forcing a gun to their head and forcing them to read Captain America. Last time I checked buying comics was completely voluntary. Tell them to go read the works of Frank Miller, apparently his stuff would be more their taste.

Mighty Member

I named multiple real people and groups on the right who support ideas that you have appropriated as uniquely liberal. Several of them are writers. Why not let them, or someone like them, write "Captain America"?

Steve Rogers is a product of the writers and editors. Are you really assuming that a conservative writer would undermine Captain America?

I know plenty of conservatives who avoid Marvel, in part because a Marvel writer (Spencer) told them not to buy comics. Marvel might sell comics if they reached to both sides of the aisle.