Page 29 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    The left is no more creative than the right. (I know plenty of creatively bankrupt lefties.) But, the right is more interested in creating real things that people would want. When the left veers in to creating real things, they typically need to require a mandate to force people to buy in. (And, I say this as a lefty.) The left is good for thought experiments, which probably helps when creating fiction and other art.
    Is that really true?

People who have identified as being right leaning or Conservative have spent the last few years vehemently railing against many diverse characters and comics that sell well. When confronted with evidence that these comics sold well often in mediums that gained Marvel more money and expanded their audience instead of being happy that their favorite company was doing well their social anxieties still trumped that.

And when all else failed they simply denied it was happening and still do hence why we have these weird conspiracy theories about Disney mass buying Captain Marvel tickets and the movie playing to empty theaters. Marvel have had to bring back Wasp and Iceman due to high trade sales, Black Panther related books are doing well, after all these years Miles Morales, Kamala Khan and Moon Girl are still going strong, there's still an appetite for Jane Foster to return as Thor and Iron Heart's debut sold well clearly these are "real" products that people want.

They even did it to Captain America. Admittedly Sam Wilson's book wasn't exactly a huge seller but Marvel folded and gave people Steve Rogers in a 'apolitical' journey through America's heartlands that was nicely written but basically tanked swapping two decent if unspectacular selling Captain America books for one that didn't sell at all. Coates run has shown there actually is an audience for stories which deal with the Secret Empire fallout.
    Last edited by Orbus; 04-09-2019 at 06:17 PM.

This was sent to me by justzilla on Twitter (adding this to to the buy list). Steve was in Asgardians of the Galaxy #8 and has a sweet moment with Thunderstrike...

aotg8.jpg

aotg8-1.JPG

Also, another heads-up from my Twitter friend, apparently Cap was in Dead Man Logan.

An X-book, treating Steve with dignity and respect?! An X-Men writer treating Steve with dignity and respect?! Hell must be frozen over! Quick, someone look outside, are pigs flying?! Ed Brisson, you're alright! Welcome to my Christmas card list. I'm actually going to lift my X-Men ban and buy this one.

SteveRogersLogan1.jpg

SteveRogersLogan2.jpg

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Also, another heads-up from my Twitter friend, apparently Cap was in Dead Man Logan.

An X-book, treating Steve with dignity and respect?! An X-Men writer treating Steve with dignity and respect?! Hell must be frozen over! Quick, someone look outside, are pigs flying?! Ed Brisson, you're alright! Welcome to my Christmas card list. I'm actually going to lift my X-Men ban and buy this one.

SteveRogersLogan1.jpg

SteveRogersLogan2.jpg
    When written well, Steve Rogers and the X-Men should not be at odds with each other. There might be aspects of each other's methods or tactics they disagree with or disapprove of, but there should be no doubt in either side's minds about the other's fundamental decency and heroism, especially given what they both stand for. The real problem, to me, is Marvel stoking the flames of fans' anger and antagonism out of the belief that it'll drive up sales, or that "angry fans are at least fans who are invested in and care about our product." No, sometimes all that anger is just deleterious and turns off people who would otherwise like the characters, if not necessarily the books they're in.

That aside, I am a firm believer that if Marvel would let him do it, we'd be seeing Steve Rogers on the printed page openly calling out anti-mutant bigots as he has other kinds of bigots in the past. He's challenged and defied the United States government on so many other things before, and as helpfully linked before, Miles Morales's recent series had him mention that he'd once quietly shut down a S.H.I.E.L.D. installation for the detention of mutants (not even mutant criminals, just mutants), so there is that as well. To wit, there is no good reason for an in-character Steve Rogers to not be openly supportive of mutant rights, as he's always been more about following his conscience and values, not kowtowing to the government or the whims of a mercurial, fickle, and all too easily swayed public.

Oh, and that moment between him and Kevin Masterson, on a different note? Beautiful. Plus, Spider-Man thinking Throg was cute was cute, too.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Captain America #172 Apr 1974
    The original X-Men appear in "Believe It or Not: The Banshee!"
    After escaping from Moonstone and a police manhunt, Captain America and the Falcon follow a lead
    and hitch hike to Nashville, Tennessee to investigate Moonstone's background further.
    In Nashville, they literally bump into the Banshee who mistakes them as criminals looking to incarcerate or kill him.

The two battle and the Banshee incapacitates the duo thanks to his shrill mutant powers.

However, the mutant Cyclops intervenes and also spars with the Banshee.
    The Banshee also knocks out Cyclops with his powers and flees the scene.
    Suddenly, Captain America and the Falcon are levitated away. They find that this has been done by the mutant Marvel Girl.
    Marvel Girl deposits Captain America and the Falcon by her mentor Professor X, who informs Cap and Falcon

that he believes his investigation of missing mutants and Captain America's problems with Moonstone are related.

Script by Mike Friedrich (plot assist) and Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Vinnie Colletta

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    When written well, Steve Rogers and the X-Men should not be at odds with each other. There might be aspects of each other's methods or tactics they disagree with or disapprove of, but there should be no doubt in either side's minds about the other's fundamental decency and heroism, especially given what they both stand for. The real problem, to me, is Marvel stoking the flames of fans' anger and antagonism out of the belief that it'll drive up sales, or that "angry fans are at least fans who are invested in and care about our product." No, sometimes all that anger is just deleterious and turns off people who would otherwise like the characters, if not necessarily the books they're in.

That aside, I am a firm believer that if Marvel would let him do it, we'd be seeing Steve Rogers on the printed page openly calling out anti-mutant bigots as he has other kinds of bigots in the past. He's challenged and defied the United States government on so many other things before, and as helpfully linked before, Miles Morales's recent series had him mention that he'd once quietly shut down a S.H.I.E.L.D. installation for the detention of mutants (not even mutant criminals, just mutants), so there is that as well. To wit, there is no good reason for an in-character Steve Rogers to not be openly supportive of mutant rights, as he's always been more about following his conscience and values, not kowtowing to the government or the whims of a mercurial, fickle, and all too easily swayed public.

Oh, and that moment between him and Kevin Masterson, on a different note? Beautiful. Plus, Spider-Man thinking Throg was cute was cute, too.
    I agree with you on all points in this.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Captain America #172 Apr 1974
    The original X-Men appear in "Believe It or Not: The Banshee!"
    After escaping from Moonstone and a police manhunt, Captain America and the Falcon follow a lead
    and hitch hike to Nashville, Tennessee to investigate Moonstone's background further.
    In Nashville, they literally bump into the Banshee who mistakes them as criminals looking to incarcerate or kill him.

The two battle and the Banshee incapacitates the duo thanks to his shrill mutant powers.

However, the mutant Cyclops intervenes and also spars with the Banshee.
    The Banshee also knocks out Cyclops with his powers and flees the scene.
    Suddenly, Captain America and the Falcon are levitated away. They find that this has been done by the mutant Marvel Girl.
    Marvel Girl deposits Captain America and the Falcon by her mentor Professor X, who informs Cap and Falcon

that he believes his investigation of missing mutants and Captain America's problems with Moonstone are related.

Script by Mike Friedrich (plot assist) and Steve Englehart, pencils by Sal Buscema, inks by Vinnie Colletta
    Englehart was awesome. No doubt about it.

This Cap panel from yesterday's The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #43 is my favorite Cap panel now, this is awesome...

SquirrelGirl43.JPG

This Cap panel from yesterday's The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #43 is my favorite Cap panel now, this is awesome...

SquirrelGirl43.JPG
    Actually, the entire sequence is awesome...

SquirrelGirlandSteve.jpg
    SquirrelGirlandSteve2.jpg

Here's more from Dead Man Logan...

deadmanlogan6.jpg
    deadmanlogan6-1.jpg

Damn, this writer is GOOD. Right in the feels. I need to keep a look out for Ed Brisson.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post

Great points and I agree. I would love for more proactive/positive team-ups between Cap and the X-side of Marvel.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Lots of Steve appearances yesterday, it seems, he was also in Spider-Man/Deadpool #49...

CapStormCarol.jpg

Steve knows better than to argue with the ladies.

And also, lol...

SteveandWade.jpg
    StevePeterWade.jpg

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

For Golden Age fans, it looks like Cap will be added to the Timely's Greatest Omnibus series. Although ... this doesn't look like a Cap only stories, like the other two -- Subby and Torch.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    On the heels of the Bill Everett Sub-Mariner omni due out in September, more great news for Golden Age fans!

Marvel proudly presents TIMELY'S GREATEST, a series of once-in-a-lifetime volumes presenting the greatest stories of the Golden Age, when Marvel was known as Timely Comics! Joe Simon and Jack Kirby entered the comicbook field separately, and undoubtedly would have made major impacts on their own - but when their talents came together, it wasn't an impact, it was an earthquake. The Simon & Kirby team immediately became synonymous with innovative storytelling, powerful artwork and hit characters. They would birth some of the 1940s' most enduring creations, including the embodiment of a nation's fighting spirit: Captain America! This Omnibus collects Simon & Kirby's Timely Comics stories and covers, from the Vision to the Fiery Mask - and the rare Red Raven!

Collecting: Daring Mystery Comics 1-3, 6-8; Red Raven Comics 1; Marvel Mystery Comics 12-25; Human Torch 2 (1); Captain America Comics 1-10; USA Comics 1-3; All-Winners Comics 1-2; Young Allies Comics 1; Mystic Comics 7
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    For Golden Age fans, it looks like Cap will be added to the Timely's Greatest Omnibus series. Although ... this doesn't look like a Cap only stories, like the other two -- Subby and Torch.
    This is super cool, thanks so much for the heads-up!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I agree with you on all points in this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Great points and I agree. I would love for more proactive/positive team-ups between Cap and the X-side of Marvel.
    Thanks.

Lots of Steve appearances yesterday, it seems, he was also in Spider-Man/Deadpool #49...

CapStormCarol.jpg

Steve knows better than to argue with the ladies.

And also, lol...

SteveandWade.jpg
    StevePeterWade.jpg
    Having read that issue myself, those were some of my favorite parts.
    The spider is always on the hunt.