Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 969
  1. #31
    Incredible Member capandkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Steve's a righteous man like that. He doesn't want to break out without having proven his innocence first or something like that. Given the arc, he might see it as a way to argue his case directly to the people and appeal to the better angels of their nature. Then again, he had the same idea at the end of the original Civil War and he got shot "dead" for it. Maybe that's the real purpose of the prison riot --- for someone from the Power Elite to kill Steve in the confusion and chaos of it all.
    Doubt they'd kill him again so soon considering: a) he hasn't been de-aged that long. b) he's involved in too many stories right now, re: the upcoming Jason Aaron event, the Avengers, the Invaders and his own book. c) it was already done similarly, as you pointed out, and Coates is more inventive than to just reiterate something Brubaker already did (I was listening to a recent Coates interview on Youtube yesterday and he talked about the Cap comics a bit and why he was drawn to it and he really seems to love Steve). d) the character is wildly popular, the MCU having elevated him to the mainstream beyond comic circles, and Marvel will want to continue cashing in on that.

    Anyway, for anyone interested in the interview I mentioned, Coates had some interesting things to say about Steve and why he was drawn to writing Steve, particularly, here. The Cap stuff starts at the 47:40 mark.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 01-22-2019 at 05:13 PM.

  2. #32
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    7,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Doubt they'd kill him again so soon considering: a) he hasn't been de-aged that long. b) he's involved in too many stories right now, re: the upcoming Jason Aaron event, the Avengers, the Invaders and his own book. c) it was already done similarly, as you pointed out, and Coates is more inventive than to just reiterate something Brubaker already did (I was listening to a recent Coates interview on Youtube yesterday and he talked about the Cap comics a bit and why he was drawn to it and he really seems to love Steve). d) the character is wildly popular, the MCU having elevated him the mainstream beyond comic circles, and Marvel will want to continue cashing in on that.

    Anyway, for anyone interested in the interview I mentioned, Coates had some interesting things to say about Steve and why he was drawn to writing Steve, particularly, here. The Cap stuff starts at the 47:40 mark.
    Thanks. Never said he'd actually die or be killed, though, just that that might be the Power Elite's scheme to get him out of the way of their plans. Given that this is Steve Rogers, they're not very likely to succeed in that. Still, any chance to get some insight into Coates's thinking is a good chance, so I'll take it.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  3. #33
    Wily Veteran cc008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    12,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Steve's a righteous man like that. He doesn't want to break out without having proven his innocence first or something like that. Given the arc, he might see it as a way to argue his case directly to the people and appeal to the better angels of their nature. Then again, he had the same idea at the end of the original Civil War and he got shot "dead" for it. Maybe that's the real purpose of the prison riot --- for someone from the Power Elite to kill Steve in the confusion and chaos of it all.
    Agreed on all points. I don't expect him to die either, of course. But the riot could be staged as a distraction for someone to try and close enough to kill him.
    CaptainAmericaAgentVenom
    DaredevilDeadpoolSpider-Man
    BatmanNightwingRedHood

  4. #34
    Incredible Member capandkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Thanks. Never said he'd actually die or be killed, though, just that that might be the Power Elite's scheme to get him out of the way of their plans. Given that this is Steve Rogers, they're not very likely to succeed in that. Still, any chance to get some insight into Coates's thinking is a good chance, so I'll take it.
    Oh, I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. Totally, it could be a red herring, sure.

  5. #35
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    7,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Oh, I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. Totally, it could be a red herring, sure.
    It's cool. I should've been clearer.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  6. #36
    Incredible Member capandkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Love this panel. Sums up Steve in one sentence.

    Cap1.jpg

    Everyone keeps comparing Coates to Brubaker, maybe because Coates, himself, has stated that he loved Brubaker's work on Cap, but to me he's a good mesh of Brubaker and Gruenwald.

    I'm going to miss Yu's art.

  7. #37
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Love this panel. Sums up Steve in one sentence.

    Cap1.jpg

    Everyone keeps comparing Coates to Brubaker, maybe because Coates, himself, has stated that he loved Brubaker's work on Cap, but to me he's a good mesh of Brubaker and Gruenwald.

    I'm going to miss Yu's art.
    Man, that’s a great panel. What’s that from? I also wasn’t aware Yu was leaving the book. That’s too bad. The art is absolutely superb, maybe my favorite out there right and such a good match with Coates writing.

  8. #38
    Incredible Member capandkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samson3191 View Post
    Man, that’s a great panel. What’s that from? I also wasn’t aware Yu was leaving the book. That’s too bad. The art is absolutely superb, maybe my favorite out there right and such a good match with Coates writing.
    I feel the same. His art is phenomenal and a good match with Coates. I have no idea why he was pulled off the book, though he sent a tweet out today that he's working on another project for Marvel, so maybe that's why.

    I keep checking to see if the preview pages for Cap #7 have been posted yet, probably tomorrow, so I guess we'll see how well Adam Kubert does with Coates.

    Man the prolonged wait between Cap #6 and the upcoming Cap #7 has been killing me. It should be illegal to delay a book when there's a cliffhanger.

    The panel is from Captain America #1 by Coates. The July 2018 issue.

  9. #39
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    186

    Default

    The first issue? Man, how could I forget such a great panel. Thanks for the reminder. On the bright side, the wait will give me some time do another read through of Coates story so far. I do agree though, that wait is touuuuggghhhh.

  10. #40
    Incredible Member capandkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samson3191 View Post
    The first issue? Man, how could I forget such a great panel. Thanks for the reminder. On the bright side, the wait will give me some time do another read through of Coates story so far. I do agree though, that wait is touuuuggghhhh.
    No problem! I'm doing a re-read as well, which is what reminded me of that panel. Coates is good. He really has been doing a fantastic job.

  11. #41
    Incredible Member capandkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Marvel just posted an article on the five times Steve stepped down from being Cap (most of the five relating to the American government pissing Steve off)...

    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...inkId=62729405

    Kinda getting an inkling that Coates might be pulling a Englehart/Gruenwald here pretty quick.

    Which, considering Coates is Coates, would surprise literally no one.

    I hope I'm right. Some of the absolute best Cap stories are Steve going rogue.

  12. #42
    The Professional Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    All Along The Watchtower
    Posts
    9,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Marvel just posted an article on the five times Steve stepped down from being Cap (most of the five relating to the American government pissing Steve off)...

    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...inkId=62729405

    Kinda getting an inkling that Coates might be pulling a Englehart/Gruenwald here pretty quick.

    Which, considering Coates is Coates, would surprise literally no one.

    I hope I'm right. Some of the absolute best Cap stories are Steve going rogue.
    I would hope that Coates is working on restoring Cap's good name. The last thing I want to see is Steve give up the shield with another cloud over his head.

  13. #43
    Incredible Member capandkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I would hope that Coates is working on restoring Cap's good name. The last thing I want to see is Steve give up the shield with another cloud over his head.
    Guess it depends on how long the 'framed for murder' plot lasts. He may not have a choice. If he becomes aware of something while trying to clear his name (re: to coin a term, Russian collusion) and no one listens to him, then going rogue might be his only alternative.

    I have no doubt that that, eventually, he will restore his good name.

  14. #44

  15. #45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •