Page 30 of 65 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Steve in the War of the Realms #2 preview...

SteveWoR2.jpg

Steve (mentioned) in Spider-Man: Life Story #2

CapLife2-1.jpg

I love what Zdarsky is doing with this.

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Also, another heads-up from my Twitter friend, apparently Cap was in Dead Man Logan.

An X-book, treating Steve with dignity and respect?! An X-Men writer treating Steve with dignity and respect?! Hell must be frozen over! Quick, someone look outside, are pigs flying?! Ed Brisson, you're alright! Welcome to my Christmas card list. I'm actually going to lift my X-Men ban and buy this one.

Attachment 81043

Attachment 81044
    Brisson is a decent writter, his OML has some pacing problems, but he knows how to keep the voice of the characthers consistent. I haven't read it myself, but i hear good things about his Iron Fist series from a year ago and his Cable run if you are interested, he is at the very least solid.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Spectacular Member

Steve in the War of the Realms #2 preview...

SteveWoR2.jpg
    This looks awesome!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

CapLife2-1.jpg

Same here.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

CapLife2-1.jpg

It's so cool that Reed Richards and Cap are aligned again. They were until the run-up to Civil War where Marvel pushing Tony Stark to the center led them to make a switch in Reed Richard's sides. So Mr. Fantastic went from opposing Super-Hero Registration and being friendly with Cap (openly deferring to him in SECRET WARS) to become Tony Stark's partner-in-crime without any real explanation and reason other than (smart people = amoral plutocrats with god complex).

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    It's so cool that Reed Richards and Cap are aligned again. They were until the run-up to Civil War where Marvel pushing Tony Stark to the center led them to make a switch in Reed Richard's sides. So Mr. Fantastic went from opposing Super-Hero Registration and being friendly with Cap (openly deferring to him in SECRET WARS) to become Tony Stark's partner-in-crime without any real explanation and reason other than (smart people = amoral plutocrats with god complex).
    Eh. Reed lost his house, his company, and his money after he invaded Latveria and was chased out by the U.N. Reed was chastised by government and he had to redeem himself in their eyes. So Reed had to side with Tony and abandon Cap. Reed was powerless and penniless until the 100 point plan of Tony, Hank and Reed. Yes, that was a very weak Reed Richards, but I can understand he panicked under those circumstances. The real Reed Richards was not there for Civil War. The Reed Richards we saw in CW was this shell of a man who couldn’t provide for his family, he was frustrated he couldn’t use his genius, and still depressed from his failures in Unthinkable. So, yes, there was an explanation and reason for Reeds behaviour.

Do you remember what Peter Parker was like at the start of the Clone Saga? That was Reed Richards. Reed was in no state to be making good decisions by CW.
    Last edited by jackolover; 04-12-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Yeah, that's a good point you make, too. Considering the Fantastic Four only existed because Reed was willing to skirt the law and go on an unauthorized flight, it really made no sense for him to be supporting Tony Stark's side, even with the retcon of "psychohistory" telling Reed that it was the only way to not get the entire world blown up in the wake of the increasing devastation of superpowered conflicts. That said, given the classic origin of Iron Man, Tony still fighting the Vietnam War on the side of the Americans makes plenty of sense also, though I'm tempted to say it's more about personal vengeance on account of the circumstances of how he became Iron Man as opposed to genuine (though misplaced) patriotism. Oh, and Hank Pym being in on it, too . . . well, his first wife was abducted and murdered by Communist forces in his classic origin, so again, personal vendetta speaking rather than genuine patriotism, even misplaced. Still, I wonder what's gonna happen if or when they all confront each other in Vietnam.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    The Reed Richards we saw in CW was this shell of a man who couldn’t provide for his family, he was frustrated he couldn’t use his genius, and still depressed from his failures in Unthinkable. So, yes, there was an explanation and reason for Reeds behaviour.
    That he was a coward, who would willingly sell out his principles and morals for mortgage? Man, Doom was right about Reed, the whole time. The. whole. time. There was also that comic where Reed told Peter a story about his relatives being railroaded by HUAC and Reed's lesson and moral is ''he should have collaborated with HUAC anyway".

And I can't believe Reed can't get work in places like Harvard, MIT or Berkeley or get a residency there. So that to me is jobbing.

Do you remember what Peter Parker was like at the start of the Clone Saga? That was Reed Richards. Reed was in no state to be making good decisions by CW.
    The Clone Saga is not considered among Spider-Man's best stories. Saying that is like saying, remember how the Avengers were in #200, or the X-Men were in Chuck Austen's run.

I mostly just ignore Reed in any event stories, he never seems to be written well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, that's a good point you make, too. Considering the Fantastic Four only existed because Reed was willing to skirt the law and go on an unauthorized flight, it really made no sense for him to be supporting Tony Stark's side, even with the retcon of "psychohistory" telling Reed that it was the only way to not get the entire world blown up in the wake of the increasing devastation of superpowered conflicts. That said, given the classic origin of Iron Man, Tony still fighting the Vietnam War on the side of the Americans makes plenty of sense also, though I'm tempted to say it's more about personal vengeance on account of the circumstances of how he became Iron Man as opposed to genuine (though misplaced) patriotism. Oh, and Hank Pym being in on it, too . . . well, his first wife was abducted and murdered by Communist forces in his classic origin, so again, personal vendetta speaking rather than genuine patriotism, even misplaced. Still, I wonder what's gonna happen if or when they all confront each other in Vietnam.
    Actually, it would make sense for Reed to support stronger regulations because he screwed up in the past.

That being said the storyline directly contradicts his portrayal during the "Acts of Vengeance" story arc where he voted against tighter regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Actually, it would make sense for Reed to support stronger regulations because he screwed up in the past.

That being said the storyline directly contradicts his portrayal during the "Acts of Vengeance" story arc where he voted against tighter regulations.
    Yeah, but he also ended up doing a lot of good in the process, and the problem with a lot of these proposed regulations is that they're (almost) always in bad faith, with the suffering and death of innocent people exploited for political gain and to excuse repressing a select portion of the population just because they're different.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, but he also ended up doing a lot of good in the process, and the problem with a lot of these proposed regulations is that they're (almost) always in bad faith, with the suffering and death of innocent people exploited for political gain and to excuse repressing a select portion of the population just because they're different.
    I don’t know how I feel about that. Rules are made in place of trust, not because of it. That’s why I both understood Civil War as a whole AND thought it was stupid.

I don’t know how any of the heroes can trust anybody.

Astonishing Member

CapLife2-1.jpg

It’s interesting how Zdarsky’s framing this.

In this one page, he’s implying that Peter’s developed a distaste for Cap because he believes that Caps involvement escalated and stretched out the war, thus killing Flash who he never got the the chance to properly patch things up with.

Whether or not Steve was right in his involvement is something I’m not touching however.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It’s interesting how Zdarsky’s framing this.

In this one page, he’s implying that Peter’s developed a distaste for Cap because he believes that Caps involvement escalated and stretched out the war, thus killing Flash who he never got the the chance to properly patch things up with.
    As an emotional response, it's valid, and important to give a sense as to why not everyone would be entirely on Cap's side. But Reed points out correctly that it's BS. Cap is saving people on both sides, acting as a one man relief organization while Iron Man is escalating the war and prolonging it, and has now roped Hank Pym in.

I love Reed's reaction. It boils down to "Ugh...Hank Pym" or "Great, that's just what we need, all Vietnam needed was Hank Pym to fix things, that guy who can f--k up a cup of coffee." (I Know there are Hank Pym fans in the house, but work with me on this).