Page 31 of 65 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Actually, it would make sense for Reed to support stronger regulations because he screwed up in the past.

That being said the storyline directly contradicts his portrayal during the "Acts of Vengeance" story arc where he voted against tighter regulations.
    BOTH Stark and Reed were actually against registration at one point. But once they saw that it was inevitable, they decided that if it's going to happen they might as well run the dam thing. So you can sort of see their point. But it's entirely different mentality than Steve.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    BOTH Stark and Reed were actually against registration at one point. But once they saw that it was inevitable, they decided that if it's going to happen they might as well run the dam thing. So you can sort of see their point. But it's entirely different mentality than Steve.
    It's an entirely different mentality from most normal people. Just because you see something or anticipate something bad from happening, you don't hunker down and go "I for one welcome our new insect overlords" and that's more or less what Stark and Reed did in Civil War. The present day scientific response to climate change isn't "let's destroy the coasts and forests because that will make it easier for humanity when climate change destroys them later".

During that, Reed claimed some smart computer that told him this was the best way, but then Hickman in Dark Reign: Fantastic Four, in his "Solve Everything" story (that ultimately started a story that didn't end until Secret Wars 2015), Reed looks at various alternate universes and find this isn't the case and he stops relying on alternate world hypotheses or tries to at any rate as the run continues. And the entire point of Hickman's New Avengers run is that the trolley problem isn't meant for superheroes to tackle. Especially since none of that worked in the end.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    It's an entirely different mentality from most normal people. Just because you see something or anticipate something bad from happening, you don't hunker down and go "I for one welcome our new insect overlords" and that's more or less what Stark and Reed did in Civil War. The present day scientific response to climate change isn't "let's destroy the coasts and forests because that will make it easier for humanity when climate change destroys them later".

During that, Reed claimed some smart computer that told him this was the best way, but then Hickman in Dark Reign: Fantastic Four, in his "Solve Everything" story (that ultimately started a story that didn't end until Secret Wars 2015), Reed looks at various alternate universes and find this isn't the case and he stops relying on alternate world hypotheses or tries to at any rate as the run continues. And the entire point of Hickman's New Avengers run is that the trolley problem isn't meant for superheroes to tackle. Especially since none of that worked in the end.
    But it’s exactly the mentality of normal people to give up when the somethings become inevitable. They knew they couldn’t win so they settled for being in charge. The stupid thing they did was was cloning Thor. Otherwise, they acted like completely normal fascist people.

Sometimes, there’s just nothing you can do, so you just let yourself die. In many cultures, it’s seen as a sign of maturity.

BANNED

But it’s exactly the mentality of normal people to give up when the somethings become inevitable.
    So if you are about to be chased out of your home because you can't pay the rent, then it's normal or common for people to give up and start sleeping on floors and hallways to prep up for living in the streets? I think people would raise eyebrows or consider you close to depression or suffering from some kind of psychological hangup if you don't do all you can to solve your problems and present situation. There are certain everyday things that are inevitable which normal people stave off by doing stuff like working a job they don't like, borrowing from friends and banks, or relatives, constantly job hunting and hustling, working second jobs and so on. It's not normal to lay over and die when something appears "inevitable". People in real life move mountains and do crazy stuff, to stave off the little inevitabilities in their real world.

And in any case, superheroism is all about doing the impossible, and saying "f--k you" to necessity and inevitability. And that's true of Marvel too. Sure superheroes can lose and suffer setbacks, and so on, but they don't roll over and die when Dr. Doom or Kang the Conqueror says "resistance is futile". When Galactus came to swallow earth, Reed Richards didn't roll over and help Galactus eat the planet to make the last days comfortable. He did all he could to stop it.

Astonishing Member

So if you are about to be chased out of your home because you can't pay the rent, then it's normal or common for people to give up and start sleeping on floors and hallways to prep up for living in the streets? I think people would raise eyebrows or consider you close to depression or suffering from some kind of psychological hangup if you don't do all you can to solve your problems and present situation. There are certain everyday things that are inevitable which normal people stave off by doing stuff like working a job they don't like, borrowing from friends and banks, or relatives, constantly job hunting and hustling, working second jobs and so on. It's not normal to lay over and die when something appears "inevitable". People in real life move mountains and do crazy stuff, to stave off the little inevitabilities in their real world.

And in any case, superheroism is all about doing the impossible, and saying "f--k you" to necessity and inevitability. And that's true of Marvel too. Sure superheroes can lose and suffer setbacks, and so on, but they don't roll over and die when Dr. Doom or Kang the Conqueror says "resistance is futile". When Galactus came to swallow earth, Reed Richards didn't roll over and help Galactus eat the planet to make the last days comfortable. He did all he could to stop it.
    They sell their marriages to the devil too.

It's just annoying that you have accept certain aspects about comics yet have to reject others.

BANNED

It's just annoying that you have accept certain aspects about comics yet have to reject others.
    It's legitimate on the part of readers to demand and expect that writers/editors respect continuity, play fair with pre-established stuff, and they use it to tell a good story and do something meaningful. CIVIL WAR didn't do that. Comics is like law you have to respect and honor precedent, and you have to honor norms and established standards, and you don't break precedent unless you have a good reason to do so.

In theory, Reed Richards and Tony Stark could have good reasons to support Super Hero Registration. We didn't get that.

For comparison, T'Challa in Bendis' run thought that the Illuminati was a bad idea and would collapse eventually. In Hickman's run he joined the Illuminati and most readers agreed with the situation that led T'Challa to support it. The reason is that Hickman acknowledged T'Challa's earlier opposition, he provided a very compelling rational and emotional reason to move him there, and shows T'Challa going in with doubts and making a big personal sacrifice in doing so, i.e. making it clear that this is the absolute last thing he would want to do, and shows him reluctant and regretful throughout.

We didn't get any of that for Reed and Tony supporting the superhero registration. There was no rational and emotional reaction that showed us how the characters we knew went from opposing this to enforcing and advocating this. And even then Reed and Tony don't have any regrets about stuff like N-Zone Gulag and Clone Thor and everything else.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I could initially buy Reed & Stark's Reasoning for supporting the act itself. It was just damn near everything else they did to enforce it that ruined it for me.

Astonishing Member

It's legitimate on the part of readers to demand and expect that writers/editors respect continuity, play fair with pre-established stuff, and they use it to tell a good story and do something meaningful. CIVIL WAR didn't do that. Comics is like law you have to respect and honor precedent, and you have to honor norms and established standards, and you don't break precedent unless you have a good reason to do so.

In theory, Reed Richards and Tony Stark could have good reasons to support Super Hero Registration. We didn't get that.

For comparison, T'Challa in Bendis' run thought that the Illuminati was a bad idea and would collapse eventually. In Hickman's run he joined the Illuminati and most readers agreed with the situation that led T'Challa to support it. The reason is that Hickman acknowledged T'Challa's earlier opposition, he provided a very compelling rational and emotional reason to move him there, and shows T'Challa going in with doubts and making a big personal sacrifice in doing so, i.e. making it clear that this is the absolute last thing he would want to do, and shows him reluctant and regretful throughout.

We didn't get any of that for Reed and Tony supporting the superhero registration. There was no rational and emotional reaction that showed us how the characters we knew went from opposing this to enforcing and advocating this. And even then Reed and Tony don't have any regrets about stuff like N-Zone Gulag and Clone Thor and everything else.
    It's kinda funny that you mentioned that.

Looking back, I'm reading a lot of comics where Steve was clearly going to side with the mutants against organizations like SHIELD, yet he ended up only doing half. (He ended up doing the other half, eventually but that's a whole other thing.)

It always bothered me that somehow in a universe where there are like a million characters with advanced longevity and magic powers, suddenly somethings are impossible. It just goes to show why establishing how your ability system works is really important to do. (We can talk about it more in the Spider-Man threads.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    I could initially buy Reed & Stark's Reasoning for supporting the act itself. It was just damn near everything else they did to enforce it that ruined it for me.
    The same with Cap. As pointed out, it shouldn't have turned into a literal war, but apparently the event was written by Michael Bay.

asgardiansteve.jpg

Asgardian variant for Captain America #10 by Dave Johnson

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    asgardiansteve.jpg

Asgardian variant for Captain America #10 by Dave Johnson
    Anyone here can translate those runes? Or is that just effect?

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

AHHHHHHH. MORE INVADERS. This is a great year to be an Invaders fan. Link

Marvel Comics announces a new series, Captain America & The Invaders: The Bahamas Triangle, with issue #1 dropping this July. The book is written by Will Eisner Comic Book Hall of Famer Roy Thomas, with art by Inkpot Award-winning Jerry Ordway, and multiple variant covers by Ron Lim and Patch Zircher.

No one has a greater love for The Invaders than Thomas; he created the original team with artist Sal Buscema in The Avengers #71 (December 1969).

About the issue:
    March 1941. Assigned to safeguard President Roosevelt during a fishing trip in the Bahamas, the newly commissioned Cap endures his baptism under fire — while a German U-boat (carrying the Nazi super-soldier called Der Wunderkrieger (or Wonder Warrior) heads for the island chain’s capital! His mission: to kidnap England’s once-king, the Duke of Windsor, and sit him on the throne of a defeated Britain! But others happen to be in that part of the Atlantic as well — the once-bitter rivals the Sub-Mariner and the Human Torch!

Ordway has contributed to some of the biggest books in the industry during his career, and now we get to see what he comes up with working on vintage characters from Marvel’s early days.

This will be the second Invaders series out currently, joining the series by Chip Zdarsky, Carlos Magno, Butch Guice, Alex Guimaraes, and Travis Lanham.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    AHHHHHHH. MORE INVADERS. This is a great year to be an Invaders fan. Link

Saw this on twitter last night! I'm so excited. I can't believe they got Roy Thomas back. I'm still wondering HOW they got Roy Thomas back. That's incredible.

I disagree, Tony Stark had his doubts and was “hoping” that he was doing the right thing. What made Tony Stark change his thoughts on registration was the mother who accused him and blamed him for her child’s death. Tony felt guilty and one of Tony’s core character traits is accountability, So he decided to take extreme measures to enforce the pro-reg. Tony Stark pushing pro-registration was literally for the people and the innocents. He was trying to cut down the chaos and collateral damages from happening.

Now, what the writers should’ve explained was Tonys change of heart when it came to trusting the government lel. I do think, Tony wanted to be in charge instead giving the government FULL POWER over superheroes. Him being in charge could ease the whole process.

The only **** up was cloning Thor.

BANNED

Zdarsky's cover for Spider-Man Life Story #5 (which is going to be a retelling of CIVIL WAR) is a doozy:

Here's the cover:Attachment 81419

Peter pushing up the Star is like the Master Planner homage inside it.

And the overall tone can't help but bring to mind this song

Now I'm calling all citizens from all over the world
    This is captain America calling
    I bailed you out when you were down on your knees
    So will you catch me now I'm falling
    - Ray Davies, The Kinks