Page 42 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    This starts to sound like Civil War when Cap was on the run and he had his Secret Avengers, but after how Steve Rogers commanded the whole Galaxy in Hickman’s Infinity crossover, this little campaign seems like shelling peas, to someone like Steve. Mind you, this is after Steve was killed in Secret Wars #1, and sent into the Cosmic Cube in Standoff, so Steve finding himself back on his own two feet has been a long time coming - as far back as Dimension Z and The Nail.

Coates continues to discuss the American concept and Steve Rogers’ morality in particular, by having Steve engage Bullies in the Watchdogs, AIM, and the Power Elite. Coates choice of using the all female Daughters of Liberty to partner Rogers in this campaign may be poignant in Steve’s vulnerable position of being on the run from authority as an escaped prisoner? It certainly is underlined strongly in this issue #14, that women take a prominent role in the fight for freedom. I noticed the absence of the Invisible Woman in this engagement, and wonder if she was there, but Invisible, and jumped through the portal into Mandripoor?
    Yup. Agreed. Coates is following the grand tradition of several of the Cap writers before him. Englehart used the original Secret Empire to address Watergate and Nixon's betrayal. DeMatteis used Arnie Roth vs. Zemo to address homophobia at the peak of the AIDS crises (as the story came out in 1982), Gruenwald used John Walker to address the dangers of extreme nationalism, particularly during the Reagan era, and now Coates is using the Power Elite (and the Watchdogs, AIM and, apparently, Cheer Chadwick) to confront foreign collusion/immigrant internment/alt-right extremism. The Captain America comic, at its best, has Cap confronting America's issues.

On Twitter I've seen some fans complain that they thought Coates wrote Cap as being too harsh in his expressed contempt of the Watchdogs and their ideology. But, this is the same Steve Rogers who (rightfully) called homophobes out as being pariahs of society in 1982, the same Cap who became so upset at an acting president's actions it triggered a goth phase (Nomad), so to me Coates internal monologue for Steve was pretty dead on and it showed Coates did his research. Steve's not exactly a wilting flower, he lets his thoughts be known, and sometimes his thoughts are wonderfully and delightfully scathing. I legit cheered out loud reading Cap #14.

Last edited by capandkirby; 10-03-2019 at 07:18 AM.

Cap panels from today's Marvel Comics 1001 compared to the headline from Heritage Auctions August 2019 winning bid for Captain America #1.

...Steve, I love you, but your investment advice and ability to valuate a potential security sucks.

Also from Marvel Comics 1001...

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Yup. Agreed. Coates is following the grand tradition of several of the Cap writers before him. Englehart used the original Secret Empire to address Watergate and Nixon's betrayal. DeMatteis used Arnie Roth vs. Zemo to address homophobia at the peak of the AIDS crises (as the story came out in 1982), Gruenwald used John Walker to address the dangers of extreme nationalism, particular during the Reagan era, and now Coates is using the Power Elite (and the Watchdogs, AIM and, apparently, Cheer Chadwick) to confront foreign collusion/immigrant internment/alt-right extremism. The Captain America comic, at it's best, has Cap confronting America's issues.

On twitter I've seen some fans complain that they thought Coates wrote Cap as being too harsh in his expressed contempt of the Watchdogs and their ideology. But, this is the same Steve Rogers who (rightfully) called homophobes out as being pariahs of society in 1982, the same Cap who became so upset at an acting presidents actions it triggered a goth phase (Nomad), so to me Coates internal monologue for Steve was pretty dead on and it showed Coates did his research. Steve's not exactly a wilting flower, he lets his thoughts be known, and sometimes his thoughts are wonderfully and delightfully scathing. I legit cheered out loud reading Cap #14.

Pretty much this. I would add that Captain America at the character's and series' best has always been a dialogue between the country as it sees itself, the country as it actually is, and the country as it can or should be, questioning or discussing whose vision of what the country can or should be is ultimately the right one. Even Ed Brubaker tackled some of that in his run, and arguably foreshadowed some of our current issues with an in-universe presidential candidate who might have been in the pocket of agents of a foreign power and bringing back "50s Commie Smasher Cap" as the leader of an anti-government militia.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Cap panels from today's Marvel Comics 1001 compared to the headline from Heritage Auctions August 2019 winning bid for Captain America #1.

...Steve, I love you, but your investment advice and ability to valuate a potential security sucks.
    Wow! Marvel Comics #1001 has an appearance from Captain America. I might consider picking this up.

Marvel revitalizing their The End line for Captain America, Captain Marvel, Miles, Strange, Venom and Deadpool.

Here's the description of the Cap issue:

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE END #1
    Writer: ERIK LARSEN
    Artist: ERIK LARSEN
    THE FINAL CAPTAIN AMERICA STORY!
    Steve Rogers fights for survival in a post-apocalyptic wasteland populated by hordes of Red Skulls! Legendary writer/artist Erik Larsen (SPIDER-MAN, WOLVERINE, NOVA) returns to Marvel for an oversized last tale of Simon & Kirby’s American Hero!

Good lord a planet of Red Skull clones?! Worst post-apocalyptic world ever. I'd almost rather deal with zombies, nuclear fallout and/or live in the Matrix.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Pretty much this. I would add that Captain America at the character's and series' best has always been a dialogue between the country as it sees itself, the country as it actually is, and the country as it can or should be, questioning or discussing whose vision of what the country can or should be is ultimately the right one. Even Ed Brubaker tackled some of that in his run, and arguably foreshadowed some of our current issues with an in-universe presidential candidate who might have been in the pocket of agents of a foreign power and bringing back "50s Commie Smasher Cap" as the leader of an anti-government militia.
    Yes, this! Exactly. And you're right about Brubaker, he did a good job of covering these themes as well.

BANNED

Marvel revitalizing their The End line for Captain America, Captain Marvel, Miles, Strange, Venom and Deadpool.

Here's the description of the Cap issue:

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE END #1
    Writer: ERIK LARSEN
    Artist: ERIK LARSEN
    THE FINAL CAPTAIN AMERICA STORY!
    Steve Rogers fights for survival in a post-apocalyptic wasteland populated by hordes of Red Skulls! Legendary writer/artist Erik Larsen (SPIDER-MAN, WOLVERINE, NOVA) returns to Marvel for an oversized last tale of Simon & Kirby’s American Hero!

Good lord a planet of Red Skull clones?! Worst post-apocalyptic world ever. I'd almost rather deal with zombies, nuclear fallout and/or live in the Matrix.
    This sounds cool. I'm usually not into "The End" one-shots as they (obviously) lean towards the dreary and depressing but I have a feeling this will be a rocking story. I got a kick out of Larsen's recent story in the Spider-Man Big Time one-shot. Glad he's doing some more Marvel and that he's got a whole issue to himself this time.

Erik Larsen...?

Invaders #10 preview:

Last edited by capandkirby; 10-03-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Last edited by capandkirby; 10-03-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Steve will be a guest star in the upcoming Ravencroft series.

Summary:

“Ruins of Ravencroft: Dracula” #1
    Written by Frank Tieri
    Artist TBA
    To the men and women of the Marvel Universe, Ravencroft Institute for the Criminally Insane appeared to be a hospital devoted to the rehabilitation of society’s most violent offenders. But appearances can be deceptive, and — as Captain America learned the hard way – some secrets have teeth.

Source

Robert Quinn is doing the art for Captain America #16.

Which is cool, I'm excited, but I'm also wondering why, for these past three issues, we've had a different artist for every issue. Anyway, here's an example of Bob Q's Steve...

Last edited by capandkirby; 10-04-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Which is cool, I'm excited, but I'm also wondering why, for these past three issues, we've had a different artist for every issue. Anyway, here's an example of Bob Q's Steve...

Reminds me of Otto Schmidt, at least from that image.

BANNED

Which is cool, I'm excited, but I'm also wondering why, for these past three issues, we've had a different artist for every issue.
    Well, with the Wolverine announcement, we now know why Kubert suddenly was off of Cap - the X-Office stole him!

For that matter, I'm sure that's why Yu was off Cap so soon - he went over to the X-books too.

I know the new X-launch is a big deal and they had to get top talent on it but I hope they can get a good permanent artist on Cap soon.

With rumors of a relaunch in 2020, I wonder if Coates is going to be done after this arc and a new writer/artist team will be coming in.

I'd have mixed feelings on Coates leaving. I've really enjoyed his run so far - although I feel like it's in danger of starting to drag out.

I'm ready for Steve to stop being on the run, take the Cap mantle and shield back, and start kicking ass again.