Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Wow, that was a powerful issue. Got chills. Steve's (inner) speech was amazing. Coates went full Gruenwald/Englehart on us. Bless the man. He really is doing an incredible job on this book.

Does anyone know who spoilers:
    the woman all the way on the left is, on the last page? With the glasses and they Grey duster?
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

So I recently read Elliot S! Maggin's short story "For the Luvva Jack," which is basically a Captain America story with Jack Kirby in a supporting role. Really, really good. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by OOTCS View Post
    Does anyone know who spoilers:
    the woman all the way on the left is, on the last page? With the glasses and they Grey duster?
    end of spoilers
    ...Pretty sure that's spoilers:
    Anya Corazon
    end of spoilers.

Steve has trained her in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    So I recently read Elliot S! Maggin's short story "For the Luvva Jack," which is basically a Captain America story with Jack Kirby in a supporting role. Really, really good. Highly recommended.
    Oh I love that short, makes me tear up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Wow, that was a powerful issue. Got chills. Steve's (inner) speech was amazing. Coates went full Gruenwald/Englehart on us. Bless the man. He really is doing an incredible job on this book.
    That's one of the reasons Coates I think makes a good Captain America writer. To write Steve, you need to be able to write intelligent emotionally moving speeches. That's Steves thing. And Coates being a legit political writer knows how to press those buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    That's one of the reasons Coates I think makes a good Captain America writer. To write Steve, you need to be able to write intelligent emotionally moving speeches. That's Steves thing. And Coates being a legit political writer knows how to press those buttons.
    Absolutely, I agree. He was an excellent fit for this character in particular. And based on the interviews he's given since taking over Cap, he seems to love writing it. I was listening to one the other day while I worked (found here) and he was asked what his three favorite Marvel characters were and he answered Spider-Man, Storm, and Captain America. It's fantastic he's so invested. Books are always better when the writer is into it.

...Pretty sure that's spoilers:
    Anya Corazon
    end of spoilers.

Steve has trained her in the past.
    So I was wrong, it was spoilers:
    Annabelle Riggs
    end of spoilers. CRB did a story on the new team here.

Posted these on the Daughters of Liberty thread so might as well post them here, too.

Cap7.jpg
    Cap7(2).jpg

...damn that's some good writing.

Posted these on the Daughters of Liberty thread so might as well post them here, too.

Cap7.jpg
    Cap7(2).jpg

...damn that's some good writing.
    We could have really used some dialogue like that during Civil War.

We could have really used some dialogue like that during Civil War.
    Agreed! Civil War, as a whole, didn't present Steve's inner turmoil or his thought process as much as it should have. I mean, you had the read the tie-ins to get it. The SHRA was profiling, just like he told T'Challa in the Black Panther tie-in. The Avengers had fought tons of villains who could hack a registration list, and administrations change, so it was dangerous as well, just like he told Tony during Casualties (and was proven later when Tony had to delete his memory to prevent Osborn from getting that list). And it was very much compromising freedom (of those registered) for security (of those not). And Luke Cage was right to point out that how the SHRA was enforced was reminiscent of much darker times in American history (re:lynching), which he did in New Avengers. But it's interesting that New Avengers, Black Panther, and Casualties, and Amazing Spider-Man did more to present Steve's thought process during Civil War than the entirety of the actual Civil War book. As a Cap fan I was pretty annoyed by that.

I realize that Tony took the worst beating from Civil War, but it really didn't do Steve too many favors, either, in that at least Tony was shown expressing doubt in the main Civil War book. With Steve you had to read New Avengers to get that period, before he started fighting against registration, right after SHIELD had shot at him for refusing to arrest anyone who wouldn't sign, where Steve was doubting his place in the 21st century and wondering if his belief system was not fit for the modern world.

Coates is doing a fantastic job of presenting where, exactly, Steve's head is at... Millar? Was lousy at it.

Agreed! Civil War, as a whole, didn't present Steve's inner turmoil or his thought process as much as it should have. I mean, you had the read the tie-ins to get it. The SHRA was profiling, just like he told T'Challa in the Black Panther tie-in. The Avengers had fought tons of villains who could hack a registration list, and administrations change, so it was dangerous as well, just like he told Tony during Casualties (and was proven later when Tony had to delete his memory to prevent Osborn from getting that list). And it was very much compromising freedom (of those registered) for security (of those not). And Luke Cage was right to point out that how the SHRA was enforced was reminiscent of much darker times in American history (re:lynching), which he did in New Avengers. But it's interesting that New Avengers, Black Panther, and Casualties, and Amazing Spider-Man did more to present Steve's thought process during Civil War than the entirety of the actual Civil War book. As a Cap fan I was pretty annoyed by that.

I realize that Tony took the worst beating from Civil War, but it really didn't do Steve too many favors, either, in that at least Tony was shown expressing doubt in the main Civil War book. With Steve you had to read New Avengers to get that period, before he started fighting against registration, right after SHIELD had shot at him for refusing to arrest anyone who wouldn't sign, where Steve was doubting his place in the 21st century and wondering if his belief system was not fit for the modern world.

Coates is doing a fantastic job of presenting where, exactly, Steve's head is at... Millar? Was lousy at it.
    Yeah, the Civil War main book did a pretty bad job of conveying Steve's side of the story. Which I suppose is SORT OF fair because I think almost every book outside the main book potrayed Steve's side more sympatheticlaly that Starks. But still... the main book could have probably used a bit more humanity on both sides.

And I think Coates book captures that humanity beautifully. The Cap book needed a guy like Coates to write him.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, the Civil War main book did a pretty bad job of conveying Steve's side of the story. Which I suppose is SORT OF fair because I think almost every book outside the main book potrayed Steve's side more sympatheticlaly that Starks. But still... the main book could have probably used a bit more humanity on both sides.
    That was a problem with both CIVIL WAR series. For CWII Tony's side was put across well in the main book, but you really needed to be reading the tie-ins to see Carol's side in the proper light. The tie-ins showed all the precautions Carol was putting into place, and how she was struggling to make sure it wasn't just profiling people, etc...whereas the main book skimmed over that entirely and just made Carol look reckless and stubborn. Someone not reading the tie-ins would come away from that storyline with a very different attitude about Carol and the choices she made--whether the reader agreed with her or not.

Anyway, back to Cap...it is certainly nice to see how well Coates is getting inside his head and putting that conflict across.

BANNED

Yet another damn good issue.

The switch from Yu to Kubert is a slight bummer but Kubert does a perfectly fine job so Yu isn't missed too much and the main thing is that Coates keep killing it with his scripts.

As everyone says, he just knows how to get into Steve's head and write the perfect words for him.

Definitely hyped to see how this arc is going to play out. I've got no doubt it's gonna be a good one.

spoilers:
    BERNIE FREAKIN ROSENTHAL, god it's good to see you. I mean, I wish it were under better circumstances, but still. Sharon, jealousy is not a good look on you.
    end of spoilers
    Certainly wasn’t an issue within Brubaker’s run. Indeed the revolutionary mic drop this outing was those last two pages.