Page 53 of 65 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

I'd welcome him. Tales of Suspense was incredible. Punisher was insanely good. I can't wait for his Hawkeye mini series.

I'm in no rush, however, for the current run to end.

aaron aaron aaron give it to aaron aaron aaron gee now would be a swell time to give it to aaron oh god please aaron
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    aaron aaron aaron give it to aaron aaron aaron gee now would be a swell time to give it to aaron oh god please aaron
    Jason Aaron. I did like his Ultimate Captain America, given that it had Steve taking on the Captain America of the Vietnam War and reckoning with what his country had done there.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I'd be very in favor of this. Aaron indicated in his latest newsletter that he already has his next Marvel assignment, post-Thor. Cap is as good a possibility as any.

All-New Member

I loved Coates' run when it was starting out. But it's been pretty slow going. The Dryad reveal left a sour taste, and I kinda have to fear the worse re obvious developments., if Coates is leaving.

No idea about who should take cap on next.could do a lot worse than Aaron.

What does Rucka do these days?
    Last edited by IvanSkavisnky; 11-27-2019 at 01:54 AM.

Rosenberg did Steve dirty in his Uncanny X-Men run (Kirby and Simon are probably turning over in their graves) and I'd hate to see his horrible take on Steve Rogers revisited for an entire run. But yes, Tales of Suspense was good. I'm by no means claiming Rosenberg is a horrible writer, he does a great Clint, he's a good fit for Clint, what I am claiming that he is not a good fit for Steve. Though I admit freely there is a bias here as Steve is my favorite character and I'm rather protective of him, do my man dirty once and I struggle with being forgiving.

Aaron would be good. Wouldn't mind Zdarsky either, he did a great job with Steve in Invaders, especially that last issue. He's got Steve's amazing speech making abilities down pat. The ultimate dream would be Ewing, but I realize that's not a possibility as Ewing's plate is rather full and I'm not even sure he's interested, though he wrote Steve very sympathetically at the beginning of Immortal Hulk, since Steve was the only Avenger to express empathy and hesitancy over "killing" the Hulk. But my main reasoning is that I love what Ewing is doing with Hulk, and the fact that that book is very political and not subtle about it is why I think he'd write a great Cap.

One of these days I'd like to see a Cap run handed to a female writer. It's never been done before. My choice would be Tini Howard, who did an excellent job with the Cap annual last year.

Lots of intriguing possibilities. But I echo the sentiment that I'm not in a great hurry to see Coates go, I've enjoyed his run thus far.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Rosenberg did Steve dirty in his Uncanny X-Men run (Kirby and Simon are probably turning over in their graves) and I'd hate to see his horrible take on Steve Rogers revisited for an entire run. But yes, Tales of Suspense was good. I'm by no means claiming Rosenberg is a horrible writer, he does a great Clint, he's a good fit for Clint, what I am claiming that he is not a good fit for Steve. Though I admit freely there is a bias here as Steve is my favorite character and I'm rather protective of him, do my man dirty once and I struggle with being forgiving.
    I don't remember Rosenberg doing Steve dirty in his Uncanny run.

In fact, wasn't it revealed that who they thought was Steve was actually Mystique or something?

I forget.

While Rosenberg wouldn't be my first choice for Cap, I also wouldn't automatically be worried about it either.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I don't remember Rosenberg doing Steve dirty in his Uncanny run.

In fact, wasn't it revealed that who they thought was Steve was actually Mystique or something?

I forget.

While Rosenberg wouldn't be my first choice for Cap, I also wouldn't automatically be worried about it either.
    I think capandkirby might be referring to how the Steve Rogers that was trying to help the X-Men on the down low was really Mystique setting them up, while the real Steve Rogers just gave lame excuses for why he wasn't doing anything about the state-sanctioned medical genocide of mutants and only intervened in the beating an incognito Cyclops was getting from some anti-mutant rallygoers when Cyclops got his glasses knocked off, giving the impression (to some, mostly determined to believe the worst of any nonmutant hero vis-à-vis the long-suffering X-Men) that he didn't care until he saw something or someone that he perceived as a threat to normal humans, even though that someone was on the receiving end of a gang-beating.

All that said, I blame Marvel more for distancing the X-Men corner from the rest of the Marvel Universe and perhaps encouraging or fomenting a certain tribalism regarding them vs. the rest of the MU than I blame the characters, as going by Civil War and other past stories, an in-character Captain America would have gladly taken up the fight for mutant rights or at least made his sympathies and allegiances clearly known to anyone in the government or law enforcement that thought they could use their authority to oppress others, regardless of who (or what) they were.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Frank Miller's characterization for Steve makes me wonder what it would have been like if Frank had been writing an ongoing for him (Daredevil #233, 1986).

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Frank Miller's characterization for Steve makes me wonder what it would have been like if Frank had been writing an ongoing for him (Daredevil #233, 1986).

This was one of the best portrayals of Steve outside of his own book. Too many ties writers portray him as some two-dimensional, flag-waving gov't stooge.

I really hate when they do that(X-Men!).

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    This was one of the best portrayals of Steve outside of his own book. Too many ties writers portray him as some two-dimensional, flag-waving gov't stooge.

I really hate when they do that(X-Men!).
    Roger Stern did a great character exploration as well like for Avengers #277 (1987).

Roger Stern did a great character exploration as well like for Avengers #277 (1987).

Agreed, Electricmastro. One of my all-time favorites.

And capandkirby's favorite as well:
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ion-2019/page2

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed, Electricmastro. One of my all-time favorites.

And capandkirby's favorite as well:
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ion-2019/page2
    Stern’s Avengers run is one of my favorite runs.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

I got the TPB. Stern’s Acengers run is one of my favorites. The way he portrayed Cap in it, I thought was really good.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by tg1982 View Post
    I got the TPB. Stern’s Acengers run is one of my favorites. The way he portrayed Cap in it, I thought was really good.
    Agreed. It's still the best. Under Siege had many highlights, but Cap's moments were the most memorable.