Page 6 of 65 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    Certainly wasnÂ’t an issue within BrubakerÂ’s run. Indeed the revolutionary mic drop this outing was those last two pages.
    Never said it was an issue when Brubaker had Bernie defending Bucky but feel obligated to point out:

A) it’s been a decade since Cap vol. 5, being happy to see Bernie again when she, herself, was a Cap staple for years (and through multiple writers) is not unwarranted. Doesn’t matter who one “ships” Steve with currently, Bernie, Rachel AND Sharon have each played an important part in his life, to deny that is a willful blindness I choose to not want to engage in personally (I hate the entire concept of “shipping” for this reason, which is why I go with the flow, Steve’s happy, whoever he’s with, then I’m happy). Spencer’s Sam Wilson run let us catch up with D-Man and Rachel, but there hasn’t been a mention of Bernie since Brubaker. Glad to see her.

B) Sharon herself admitted she was being ridiculous and apologized right after (and it’s a credit to her for doing so). It’s not coming down on Sharon to point out something the narrative, itself, pointed out. And honestly I made that post before reading the issue to the last two pages, flush with excitement at seeing an old friend again.

C) never said the last two pages weren’t amazing. Like everyone else I hope it means a new team book. I’d subscribe in a second. But this is a Steve Rogers appreciation thread specifically. Which is why we’re all on here talking about Steve’s role as a revolutionary, past and present.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 01-30-2019 at 09:05 PM.

Point taken well said.

Admittedly I enjoyed that Brubaker brought back Bernie and avoided the tripe romance entanglement. It truly felt Bernie was there for her legal skills and as a friend to Steve. I believe Sharon was written unfazed by her involvement as well. Just good writing.

Had to google the daughters of liberty ... I liked the historical relevance. Be interesting to see how Coates writes this group.

Admittedly I enjoyed that Brubaker brought back Bernie and avoided the tripe romance entanglement. It truly felt Bernie was there for her legal skills and as a friend to Steve. I believe Sharon was written unfazed by her involvement as well. Just good writing.
    I agree with you. Triangles, even hints at one, are annoying as a trope and never makes any of the characters involved look good. I'm not sure why Coates wrote that interplay between Bernie and Sharon, but I have a feeling he's sort of leading about to something with Sharon and Selene regarding the issue of age. There have been other hints towards that end as well, like Sharon's monologue to Steve in the first issue. I'm not sure how it will play out, I'm only guessing, here, but maybe something like Selene trying to play with Sharon's insecurity by offering to restore her youth and Sharon taking a power moment and telling her no or if Selene will try and turn Sharon against her will. Who knows, but the undercurrent of Sharon feeling her age and suddenly being threatened by Bernie when she doesn't have a history of that has to be leading to some kind of point. I honestly don't think it's a coincidence that Coates would bring in Selene of all characters into this book for nothing.

Could be. I’d like someone in the room to address Sharon’s age. Maybe Coates will.

I read that interplay completely different ... Sharon’s response less of a “he’s my man and was with me” thing and more of “he’s not guilty being with me”. I see what you were referring to now.

Selene may be just the macguffin Sharon needs.

Steve Rogers has always got a plan. One of the really strong ones, is he always gets himself captured. It’s the hallmark of his strategy, and the reason he does it, is because the enemy (in this case the Power Elite) can’t help themselves, but they have to make this big show of destroying Captain America in a large propaganda event, and it’s this need by the enemy that Cap always gets them in. Steve Rogers does it again here. I’m not sure why hiding the shield is part of his plan, because it’s the evidence to show it was Caps shield that killed General Ross, so the enemy is going to do something to fabricate the shield, and that’s when Steve will get them.

I can’t say I’ve ever heard of the Daughters of Liberty, and why Sharon Carter is one of them, but it sounds like a female Illuminati to me. And what is the Latin phrase, and the reference to this serpent Dryad? It feels like we’ve come in at the middle of a movie. And isn’t it fortunate that Sue Richards just turned up to join them at this particular moment, because she’s been away the whole time ANAD was in existence. Come to think of it, if Sharon Carter was SHIELD, were all those Liberty ladies previous SHIELD as well? The fact they are in some club, makes me think they are the shield maidens of Captain America, somehow. And then Sharon says the magic words, and hey presto, teleporter activates and coincidentally all the ladies are in one place to get teleported.

Also, I wonder what role Nick Fury junior is holding in this series because he is interrogating Steve Rogers, when there is no SHIELD?
    Last edited by jackolover; 02-04-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    We could have really used some dialogue like that during Civil War.
    I liked the reference to Civil War mentioning the registration act, as well as being Nomad and the Captain. It tells me Steve Rogers is referencing his separation from government and his responsibility to a higher calling than just obeying authority. It’s a very strong responsibility Rogers undertakes and he’s the embodiment of that ideal, so he has to take his role seriously, resisting the temptation to just fall in line and not resist, when he’s personally attacked. I find Steve’s referencing his previous challenges as something that defines his mission, and this challenge, “Captain of Nothing”, is just another one the country HAS to see him overcome. If the country doesn’t see Captain America confront the attack on him, it will mean as he states in that scene in the conference hall - “that charlatans had claimed the dream”, and Steve was not going to let that happen.

I was glad Coates made the point Steve Rogers saying Steve was for freedom, because Steve’s mother Sarah made the point, strongly to Steve, in Remenders series, that the family came to America (from repression in Britain) because of the freedom of America, and she told Steve he has to fight to uphold it. I think that was the whole point of Captain America’s mission all along.
    Last edited by jackolover; 01-31-2019 at 04:22 PM.

The Capsongs Project by Jessica Best.

It's a collection of five faux folk songs, "set in a universe in which Steve Rogers lived, fought for justice, and disappeared under the ocean in 1945": "Take Up Your Shield, Steve Rogers", "Let Him Sleep", "For the Crows", "The Restless of New York", and "Theme to Howling Commandos". She calls it "a handy soundtrack for those nights where you just wanna curl up and have a lot of feelings about history and protest music and Steve Rogers".

She also has written lyrics and context for the songs in the Cap universe.

Little Steve Rogers never had the knack
    of running from a fight ‘fore it was done
    stood up to any bully even when they’d knock him flat
    he’d rush in to defend 'most anyone

So take up your shield, Steve Rogers
    Take up your shield tonight
    Take up your shield, Steve Rogers
    There’s wrongs out there that need some settin’ right

1942 saw Hitler’s army on the march
    Steve said, “I’ll do anything I can”
    So they fixed his body up strong enough to match his heart
    and called him the star-spangled man

The captain went and found all the bravest men around
    the Howling Commandos was their name
    And no matter their color or the place of their hometown,
    each man in that crew was paid the same

Now the star-spangled man is lyin’ somewhere far away
    but children, don’t you weep
    If he could see the things we’re doin’ in his name today
    I think that boy would rather stay asleep

So lay down your shield, Steve Rogers
    Lay down your shield, we’ve reached the end
    Lay down your shield, Steve Rogers
    And we’ll pray somebody picks it up again

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    The Capsongs Project by Jessica Best.

It's a collection of five faux folk songs, "set in a universe in which Steve Rogers lived, fought for justice, and disappeared under the ocean in 1945": "Take Up Your Shield, Steve Rogers", "Let Him Sleep", "For the Crows", "The Restless of New York", and "Theme to Howling Commandos". She calls it "a handy soundtrack for those nights where you just wanna curl up and have a lot of feelings about history and protest music and Steve Rogers".

She also has written lyrics and context for the songs in the Cap universe.
    Wow, these are amazing! So cool!

Steve was in Miles Morales: Spider-Man #2...

miles.jpg
    RCO023_w.jpg

Looks like he'll be in the next one, too. Which is great, love the way Saladin Ahmed writes him. Steve appeared in his Black Bolt run, too. Plus, after Secret Empire, it's great to see Miles interact with the real Steve.

As excited and happy as I am to see Steve pop up in so many books (no complaints there, none, I will take all the cameos I can get, my wallet is waiting Marvel) the timeline of everything is giving me a bit of a headache. In Steve's book he's in jail, in Invaders he left the Avengers to go find out what is up with Namor, and next week he's apparently fighting Vampires in the Avengers book. I'm assuming that Coates' run takes place before the new Avengers team formed, time-line-wise. But for the rest of it, I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Steve was in Miles Morales: Spider-Man #2...

miles.jpg
    RCO023_w.jpg

Looks like he'll be in the next one, too. Which is great, love the way Saladin Ahmed writes him. Steve appeared in his Black Bolt run, too. Plus, after Secret Empire, it's great to see Miles interact with the real Steve.
    Any context on how Steve got pulled into this one? I'm guessing he didn't just show up for no reason.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Any context on how Steve got pulled into this one? I'm guessing he didn't just show up for no reason.
    Having read the book, I'm guessing it has to do with those children being kidnapped and brainwashed into child soldiers for a criminal enterprise. Miles got mixed up in it because his high school girlfriend's little cousin was one of those children, and the Rhino was in it because he was looking out for his dead wife's family and said dead wife's niece was one of those abducted children as well. So far, they're working together to rescue the kids, and that's where I think Captain America is going to be joining in.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Was looking for an Avengers appreciation thread but none to be found, then I thought what a great example of Cap here from Thomas’ Avengers #80, intro to Red Wolf. I love these moments with the Avengers hanging out arguing with each other. Furthermore, as events continue to be the norm rather than exception at Marvel, I thought Cap’s words and the Panther’s objections were apropos .... TS Eliot’s words from The Hollow Men.
    BDC9904E-0EA0-4014-9A3B-AF69633C03FE.jpg

Love Thomas’ writing here ... and if this isn’t classic Cap I don’t know what is.
    A434FF91-3412-4326-8314-266BC5F9DFF8.jpg

Was looking for an Avengers appreciation thread but none to be found, then I thought what a great example of Cap here from Thomas’ Avengers #80, intro to Red Wolf. I love these moments with the Avengers hanging out arguing with each other. Furthermore, as events continue to be the norm rather than exception at Marvel, I thought Cap’s words and the Panther’s objections were apropos .... TS Eliot’s words from The Hollow Men.
    BDC9904E-0EA0-4014-9A3B-AF69633C03FE.jpg
    Its funny how much the Avrngers argued back in the day. Honestly I don't think there would be an Avengers without Steve. Especially in the early years, he was the glue that held them together.