Page 9 of 65 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Allow me to add myself to the chorus of voices wishing you a happy birthday, capandkirby!
    Thanks Huntsman Spider!

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The thing is that crosses only work if you believe in tbe symbol. So Steve, while not necessarily relgious in a practicing sense, apparently is a man of faith. Otherwise the cross would ne useless.
    Steve Rogers being Irish, you’d think he was deeply Catholic religious, wouldn’t he? We never see this in the books, but if you had to answer where his ethics come from, and why he said “Watch that potty mouth” in Civil War #1, you’d have to say it was his catholic background?

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Speaking of Steve Rogers appreciation, this was what my desk looked like when I came to work this morning (it's my birthday). This is what you get when discussing comics with the guys at work, lol (who, fortunately, also read comics). I have a Cap!desk!

Attachment 78528Attachment 78529
    Your birthday is on Valentine's Day? That is so awesome.

Nevertheless, happy belated birthday!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Thanks Huntsman Spider!
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Steve Rogers being Irish, you’d think he was deeply Catholic religious, wouldn’t he? We never see this in the books, but if you had to answer where his ethics come from, and why he said “Watch that potty mouth” in Civil War #1, you’d have to say it was his catholic background?
    I'd say he could have a good chat with fellow Irish-American hero Matt Murdock/Daredevil about how their faith informs or even conflicts with their actions as superheroes and how they cope with the depths of madness and evil they've both seen and fought against.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I'd say he could have a good chat with fellow Irish-American hero Matt Murdock/Daredevil about how their faith informs or even conflicts with their actions as superheroes and how they cope with the depths of madness and evil they've both seen and fought against.
    I would be very interested in reading that.

This Alex Ross cover for Captain America #11 (from the May solicitations) is freakin' amazing. Even by Alex Ross' usually extraordinary standards. Love it.

CapCover.jpg

Also, thank you K7P5V for the birthday wishes. I went on a mini vacation this past weekend so I'm only getting back in the swing of things now, thus the late reply. Appreciate it!

Alex Ross's style matches the old school flair of Captain America so well.

Saladin Ahmed writes one hell of a Steve Rogers. After Coates' hopefully long and immensely successful reign on the book, I hope they give Ahmed a crack at the Cap title. And he writes a great Miles, too, of course, but that one goes without saying. The dynamic between the two was fantastic.

capandmiles1.jpg
    steveandmiles.jpg
    steveandrhino.jpg

I like how Cap is drawn there, too. That's Miles' book?

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I like how Cap is drawn there, too. That's Miles' book?
    Yes. Issue #3. It’s a great - lots of heart and fantastic character interaction, you’ll love it. And I agree the art is fantastic.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Rereading Brubaker Cap recently, and I can't stop thinking about this panel from Steve Rogers: Super Soldier:

Steve has a way with words!

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    Rereading Brubaker Cap recently, and I can't stop thinking about this panel from Steve Rogers: Super Soldier:

Steve has a way with words!
    LOL, well, Steve's not wrong.

I love that little mini series. Probably my favorite thing by Brubaker.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I do too! I think Winter Kills is still my favorite singular thing out of his run, because it felt like the purest expression of his obsession with Bucky Barnes.

But I'm picking up on a lot more stuff that Coates is pulling from Brubaker. I started this to refresh myself on what Lukin's whole deal was, but it's kind of cool noticing how similar in tone the current run is. Also I was eyeing the complete collection of Velvet at my LCS yesterday and I noticed that Coates has a pull-quote on the back where he gushes about how much of a Brubaker/Epting stan he is. Taste won!

Well, here’s the preview for next week’s Cap *sigh*. Looks like we’re getting Hydra!Cap on the loose. Alexa ogling Stevil leaves me wanting about 10 showers. Poor real!Steve, the guy doesn’t get a single second of happiness. Didn’t think his situation could possibly get worse, but there you go.

Captain America #8 preview

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Well, here’s the preview for next week’s Cap *sigh*. Looks like we’re getting Hydra!Cap on the loose. Alexa ogling Stevil leaves me wanting about 10 showers. Poor real!Steve, the guy doesn’t get a single second of happiness. Didn’t think his situation could possibly get worse, but there you go.

Captain America #8 preview
    I see HYDRA-Cap's escape as a necessary evil, and something that had been building since his and Steve's philosophical confrontation in Secret Empire Omega. After all, the whole point of Ta-Nehisi Coates's run on Captain America thus far has been about whether America is defined by its loftiest ideals, as represented by Steve himself, or by its darkest realities, as represented by HYDRA-Cap. The symbolic tug-o'-war between what America desires to be in its greatest moments and what America may actually be in its lowest moments is the entire crux of Captain America's modern stories, especially this one currently being told by Coates and so personified by the two Captain Americas. In the end, I'm pretty sure it'll come to a satisfying conclusion that'll say something very profound, heartfelt, and hard-hitting about what America is and what America can be . . . if it chooses to be.
    The spider is always on the hunt.