View Poll Results: Week 40: which was your favourite Image comic?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Birthright #40

0 0%
  • COPRA (2019) #1 [series premiere]

1 14.29%
  • Dead Eyes #1 [series premiere]

2 28.57%
  • DIE #8

4 57.14%
  • Man-Eaters #12 [series finale]

0 0%
  • Manifest Destiny #37

0 0%
  • Nomen Omen #1 [series premiere]

0 0%
  • Sea of Stars #4

0 0%
  • Space Bandits #4 (of 5)

0 0%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default 2019 Image Comics poll week 40 - COPRA, Dead Eyes, Nomen Omen all debut

Hey everyone, a few housecleaning messages before we kick off the new year!
    For the past 4+ years we've been running weekly poll threads over here. The idea is very simple: it's a weekly round-up of all Image Comics releases, with an added poll where people can vote on what they read and/or liked.
    The voting is mostly window dressing though; the real value is in having a weekly place to discuss, ask questions, and recommend books to each other. We mostly focus on titles published by Image, but obviously discussion about comics published by other (indie) companies is encouraged too, if it seems relevant!

This year might be slightly different though: in order to adapt to the Image audience, I'm going to try to keep this as an ongoing thread, rather than weekly separate ones. The advantage would hopefully be that it allows people who read in trades/a few weeks or months behind to still pipe into previous discussions. Let's see how that shakes out in January - if it doesn't work, let me know and we can revert back to the previous format!

All right, enough navelgazing, let's see which comics released this week!

Creature Tech is getting a collected edition, Crowded is wrapping up its first storyline this week, Errand Boys hits its penultimate issue and will be concluding next month, Gasolina appears to make a sharp turn into 'monsters & submarines territory' this week, Savage Dragon features a Golden Age comic character you might recognise, Unnatural hits the half-way mark, and LOW is back for its final storyline. Don't worry though, it's a 7 issue arc from the looks of it, wowzers!

crowded-6_46b1b73eb5.jpg low-20_def39a17a4.jpg the-walking-dead-187_d9fc5d17e1.jpg
    Covers for Crowded, Low, and The Walking Dead

Which comic(s) will you be reading this week? Vote for your favourite! Any titles you're looking forward to in the new year?
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Default Last year's results

P.S.: For those keeping track, here's last year's results squeezed into a single pie chart once again. Every comic that won a week has at least one slice of the pie, with the ones with the most wins getting a bigger share.

Clearly Gideon Falls is the big 2018 winner, with 9 instances where it either was the top vote, or tied for most votes. That also means Gideon Falls has won more weeks than Invincible and Kill or be Killed did in 2017, when both of those won 8 times each. Monstress is 2018's second place, way up from its previous spot at number 9. With this result, Monstress has won the most weeks of all series since I started keeping track in 2015. Third place this year is a big ol' tie between long time forum-favourite Stray Bullets: Sunshine & Roses, eternal darling Saga, last year's tied top pick Kill or be Killed, returning champ Mage, the Hero Denied, newcomer Shanghai Red, and the throwback queens of Paper Girls.

Weekly winners 2018.jpg

2018 had the highest amount of winners yet, with a whopping 42 series all placing first at least once in the year. This is largely because of the continuing trend of tied polls producing more than 1 weekly winner. For reference: 2017 saw 32 individual series win, 2016 had 31, and 2015 only 25. Of course the sample size of these polls is never statistically relevant, but I guess it does signal a fragmentation of some kind.
    You could read that as a diversification of tastes/interests; more niche products are finding audiences, perhaps? There appears to be a minor trend of the biggest comics getting more votes, and more smaller ones which scrape a win here or there. The middle of the pack has thinned a little, although not by much.

Lastly, just for fun, here's the top 10 series which have won the most weeks:
    1. Monstress - 15 wins since 2015
    2. Kill or be Killed - 14 wins from 2016-2018
    3. Stray Bullets: Sunshine & Roses - 11 wins since 2015
    4. Saga - 11 wins since 2015
    5. Lazarus - 9 wins, plus 2 wins of the Lazarus X+66 series = 11 wins since 2015
    6. Invincible - 10 wins from 2015-2018
    7. East of West - 10 wins from 2015-2017
    8. Gideon Falls - 9 wins in 2018
    9. Deadly Class - 8 wins from 2015-2018
    10. The Walking Dead - 6 wins from 2016-2018

Quote Originally Posted by 2019 Winners
    Ascender #2
    Auntie Agatha's Home For Wayward Rabbits #6
    Black Science #40
    Criminal (2019) #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #8
    Coffin Bound
    DIE #3, #4, #6
    East of West #42
    Fairlady #1
    Gideon Falls #10, #11, #12, #14, #15
    Gogor #1
    Ice Cream Man #9, #12, #?
    Isola #7
    Little Bird #1
    Mage, the Hero Denied #15
    Man-Eaters #7
    Monstress #19, #20
    Port of Earth #10
    Rumble #11, #16
    The Walking Dead #187, #190, #193
    The Weatherman Vol. 2 #1

Amazing Member

My pull list from Week 1 includes Unnatural, Redneck, and Walking Dead in floppies. Low is a TPB wait, so that will be an eventual read.
    Been up to date and current with Unnatural and TWD, but I think I have 4 or more issues to catch up on with Redneck.

Unnatural has been a fun read, but I am glad its only going to be 12 books total...feels like the story is already starting to meander around, but its a fun premise and a decent read, not sure whats left to unfold, but I don't think the entire story needs 12 books.
    Walking Dead has been getting better the last few issues as we are learning more about this new community and its problems. Last book with the unexpected exit of Dwight was a good twist and nothing I saw coming. Overall though this series is suffering from rehashed ideas and stories. even with the less then fresh plot lines they continue to use it is still one of my favorites hands down.

Mighty Member

Well just Unnatural and Walking Dead i guess, although how good is Crowded so far?

Just Walking Dead for me this week.

Kind of a boring issue, but this last bit of story hasn't been my favorite. Definitely doesn't feel like the 'must read' it used to be.

LOW #20 for me. First Image book in what felt like ages.

Default 2019 Image poll week #2 - Gunning for Hits & Criminal relaunch

Week 2, and we're getting our first new(ish) series of the year!

Last week's poll was won somewhat convincingly by The Walking Dead #187, this week offers a lot more contenders though... Vote vote vote get hyped get psyched!

This week: we reach the half-way point for Auntie Aghata's Home For Wayward Rabbits (still the best series title ever), Birthright reaches the end of its current storyline and will be away for a few months, Bully Wars also ends a storyline, Doug Ten Napel's series Creature Tech is getting a full-colour re-release, Die's first issue gets reprinted alongside this week's new one, Hit-Girl wraps up a storyline, The Last Siege ends as scheduled, it looks like Rose is setting up for a final issue next month, and Sleepless is done as well after this week.

New series:
    1. Gunning for Hits, billing itself as a music thriller, is set in sketchy 80ies New York. Expect neon and artists with questionable histories in this new series, drawn by MORITAT (who you know from Hellblazer), and penned by actual music producer Jeff Rougvie who worked with David Bowie amongst others. Comes with curated Spotify playlists too. Could be neat?

2. Criminal returns this week! A real heavy-weight in the independent comics scene, Ed Brubaker & Sean Phillips are relaunching this one in monthly format, and the first issue is double-sized for good measure too. It's being billed as a good jump-on point for new readers, so if you've never been able to give Criminal a shot, this might be your year.

327480.jpg 327478.jpg
    Covers for Gunning for Hits #1 and Criminal (2019) #1

Amazing Member

My pull list for this week includes, Birthright, Curse Words, Last Siege, Oblivion Song, Rose, Sleepless, Bitter Root, Cemetery Beach, Freeze, Murder Falcon, and Outer Darkness....A lot more then a realized. I didn't get Die onto my pre order pull list but from reading others comments here and on reddit i grabbed a copy of issue 1 off the rack and really liked it. I'll be getting die 2 off the rack this week as well.
    Bitter Root has not been that engaging for me and its going to get dropped off my pull list. I liked the first 5 or 6 issues of Sleepless, but the issues have since piled up and will get read in on sitting at some point. Same thing has happened with curse words, it was a must read for a long time, but the last several issues have piled up unread.
    Last Siege has been a good series, even if the last issue had not a single work in it, looking forward to seeing it wrap up. Rose has been a good story as well, didn't realize it was wrapping up for good, but I'd rather it end strong rather then just pull along with unending story lines.
    Have not yet gotten to any of the issues of Murder falcon but looking forward to reading all of them eventually
    Not really sure where to put my vote yet, alot of interesting books to choose from.

Gunning for Hits and Criminal for me this week.

To be fair to Criminal's history, it's always been new reader friendly. Each arc has always stood on it's own, but reading along from the start gave a connective tissue to the world. Anyway, this was, as Criminal always is, great. I'm very glad it's back. Criminal has always been my favorite Phrubaker book.

Gunning for Hits was a lot of fun, and I hope people give it a shot. The art team did a great job. It's beautifully colored, and handles the few fun twists you probably won't expect with ease.

Looking forward to the second issues of both.

I bought Criminal#1 and look forward to reading it soon.

Criminal... ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    #MagnetoWasRight

Criminal #1

Edit: Maybe we should start a "Discussion" thread now that it looks like it will be an ongoing for a while?

Amazing Member

WhattheJojersays.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Criminal #1

Edit: Maybe we should start a "Discussion" thread now that it looks like it will be an ongoing for a while?
    Get on it. I just re read all the non Lawless books last night. I'll do the Lawless books next, as it felt like they should be read together as a refresher for the new series.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Good thing Stray Bullets wasn't on this week's list: Criminal'd give it a run for the money.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet