View Poll Results: Week 40: which was your favourite Image comic?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Birthright #40

0 0%
  • COPRA (2019) #1 [series premiere]

1 14.29%
  • Dead Eyes #1 [series premiere]

2 28.57%
  • DIE #8

4 57.14%
  • Man-Eaters #12 [series finale]

0 0%
  • Manifest Destiny #37

0 0%
  • Nomen Omen #1 [series premiere]

0 0%
  • Sea of Stars #4

0 0%
  • Space Bandits #4 (of 5)

0 0%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Default 2019 Image comic poll week #15 - Well, put her in the dustbin!

Week 15 baby, 2019's flying by!
    Last time around the poll was won by The Walking Dead #190, marking the second time the series has won this year.

This week's releases include a reprint of Die #4, the start of a new storyline in Infinite Dark, and the end of a storyline in Outer Darkness (it's a dark week I guess). Prodigy is reaching its penultimate issue, and Savage Dragon features the first solo adventure of Amy Dragon!

New this week:
    1. Fairlady poses a simple question: "Every fantasy epic ends with a war. But what happens when the war is over?" The oversized debut of this series is billed as something of a mixture between Magnum P.I., Fables and maybe Rat Queens. Artwork looks the part, certainly!

2. Speaking of which, Rat Queens Special: Swamp Romp is also out this week. The newest one-shot in the hit fantasy/comedy will soon transition to a new creative team, with Ryan Ferrier writing and Priscille Petraites on art - this is your first chance to see whether the new direction will strike your fancy, in a who-dun-it story with a unicorn victim.

335308.jpg 335316.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Wish i'd known about little bird. Pages i have seen look crazy.
    If you're still looking for this book, you're in luck this week. Issue 1 is being reprinted!
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Default 2019 Image Comics poll #16 - whole lotta new storylines

Bit of a light week again just like last time, when newcomer Fairlady won our poll... By securing 2 out of 5 votes haha. Oh well, a win's a win!

This week's highlights include: the FIFTH reprint of Die #1 - if by now you're still not convinced this is Image's biggest new series of the year, I'm not sure what will do it. (I'm not counting Criminal als new, guys). Speaking of reprints, last month's debut for Assassin Nation is also getting one alongside issue 2 this week. Furthermore, Auntie Agatha's Home for Wayward Rabbits concludes this week as scheduled, and Evolution begins its 3-parter finale this week.
    New storylines begin for readers of Witchblade, Gideon Falls, Port of Earth, Rumble and Kick-Ass, while Middlewest and Outpost Zero both end their current storylines this week.

335375.jpg 327526.jpg 335367.jpg
    Covers for Rumble #11, East of West #42, and the alternate cover for Port of Earth #9

What have y'all been up to? I'm a tad behind on my comics to be honest, it's a busy time unfortunately.

Farmhand and Gideon Falls for me this week. Farmhand seems to come up against another Image book I'm enjoying that week, so it doesn't always get my vote unfortunately, but it's been a really good series so far. It's a really nice comic to read with the quality of the paper, the art, colouring etc. Good amount of comedy in it too. Despite all of this, I'm expecting Gideon Falls to win my vote this week because it's THAT good lol.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

East of West.

I fell off Gideon Falls. Not sure why, but it kind of lost me. This newest issue seems to have taken a drastic turn in a new direction.

Default 2019 Image Comics poll #17 - ASCENDER takes flight!

Finally a bigger week again! Last time around got very few votes, meaning the win is split between Auntie Agatha's Home For Wayward Rabbits, East of West, Gideon Falls, and Rumble.

This week: Joe Casey's neon-noir superhero deconstruction SEX returns after a long refractory period, and for good measure they're no longer doing single issues. It's a trade paperback collection right away. Criminal does a one-shot this week, Hardcore wraps up the series entirely, a new storyline begins in the pages of Redneck. Same for The Warning which also starts a new storyline, and Spawn gets a new arc going too, just in time for the 300th issue this Summer.

New this week:
    1. Ascender is the fantasy style sequel to Jeff Lemire & Dustin Nguyen's gorgeous previous series Descender, which saw more of a sci-fi slant. This one's all-new and accessible for people who haven't read Descender, or fell off the wagon along the way. Longtime readers may find a lot of fun background clues about what transpired between the series, however. Art looks phenomenal too - I'm assuming this will be one of the biggest hits in Image's portfolio for this year.

2. Little Girls is a slightly creepy, mysterious story starring two young kids in Ethiopia. Mostly a coming-of-age tale with social tensions, cliques, condescending adults and feeling alienated, there might be some more serious reasons for otherness beneath the surface...

335306.jpg 335307.jpg

Default 2019 Image Comics poll week #18 - Gogor lurks under the surface

Bit of a lighter week this time, following last poll's win by Criminal #4 - the fourth sequential win in a row for the relaunched classic!

This week: Eclipse is releasing its penultimate issue this week, setting up for next month's finale. Also in the category of impending endings, Paper Girls #28 is setting up for the series finale scheduled 2 months from now. Had enough endings? Nah, Self Made is wrapping up entirely this week with a climactic showdown. We done now with endings? Nope, even The Walking Dead has an issued called The Last Stand this week.
    Of course a week in 2019 wouldn't be complete with an issue of Die getting reprinted. This time it's #5 that gets the treatment.

New this week is Gogor from Ken Garing (of Planetoid). This is about a giant creature called Gogor who slumbers deep underground in the land of Altara. A young student is sent to find and wake Gogor however, to fulfill the creature's duty as protector of the land when a threat emerges. I think this one could be good!

337741.jpg

Default 2019 Image Comics poll week #19 - aim for Excellence

After the minor week last time, which saw Gogor's debut issue win the poll with just 2 votes, let's see how this week shakes out.

Hit series Curse Words begins its final storyline this week, 5 months from now the ride's over! Speaking of endings, Gunning For Hits will release its penultimate issue this week and end next month. Hit-Girl Season Two wraps up its first storyline this week, before heading to Hong Kong next month. Ice Cream Man also wraps up its current storyline and will be back soon for the next. Not coming back though is Murder Falcon, which puts a cork in the series after issue 8. Same for Vindication, which ends as scheduled with issue 4 this week.

New this week is Excellence which will hopefully be, well, excellent. Created by Khary Randolph (Tech Jacket) and Brandon Thomas (Horizon, Voltron), this series is about a world of hidden dark magicians. Think Harry Potter, but less benign. Protagonist Spencer is poised to take over a leading role from his father (who needs democratically elected leaders right?), but isn't so sure he wants to keep the system intact the way it is...

337740.jpg

Default 2019 Image Comics poll week #20 - a quiet week

The last poll was won by Ice Cream Man, taking its second victory this year.

This week: Fairlady's debut issue gets reprinted alongside the second one, and literally nothing else of note occurs. All Image comics releasing this week are in the middle of storylines, sooooo yeah!
    What have y'all been reading lately? I feel like it's a pretty quiet time for Image right now, but maybe I'm just a bit out of the loop?

337772.jpg 337774.jpg 337794.jpg
    Covers for Farmhand #8, Gideon Falls #13, and Port of Earth #10

I’m not reading much at all these days, so I can’t really say it’s Image, so much as just comics in general.

Gideon Falls and Farmhand for me this week. I haven't read the previous issue of Gideon Falls yet, so I'll most likely get to Farmhand first. I'm still really enjoying that.

There hasn't been a huge amount coming from Image lately that's caught my eye. Infinite Dark is ending at issue #8 apparently, so I might look to replace that with another Image title but we'll see.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I'm still getting 8-12 titles a week... just..not so many Image comics any more. I got Little Bird 3, but haven't read it, as the first two issues were not engaging for me.
    otherwise, I got American Carnage, Firefly, Hulk, Bond007, Lucifer, Naomi, Pearl, Sabrina, and... AOC!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

From Image this week I picked up Oblivion Song, Farmhand, Little Bird and the masterpiece that is Gideon Falls!!

With regards to great stuff from other publishers at the moment...
    Most Marvel is pretty bad at the moment, but Immortal Hulk and Daredevil are both fantastic and worth reading.
    From Dark Horse there’s She Could Fly (probably my favourite series right now along with Gideon Falls and Die) and Black Hammer.
    The Empty Man from Boom! is ending soon but definitely worth checking out (I’d advise reading the mini from a few years ago first though). Boom! also have Faithless, which has the second issue due next week.
    I also really enjoy the Archie Horror stuff which is pure fun, currently there’s Blossoms 666 and Jughead The Hunger Vs Vampironica. But those are more for the fun element of Archie characters mixed with classic horror stuff rather than outstanding comics like the rest I’ve mentioned.
    Most other comics I’m reading are from Image.
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

Recent Favourites: Coffin Bound, Faithless, Gideon Falls and She Could Fly

They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by LooneyKoala View Post
    From Dark Horse there’s She Could Fly (probably my favourite series right now along with Gideon Falls and Die) and Black Hammer.
    I'll have to look into She Could Fly then. Saw the ad on the back of Invisible Kingdom #2 recently as well. Black Hammer I've personally bounced off, but I can really see the appeal. It's a pretty clever deconstruction without losing sight of sincerity, which you often see when parody gets involved.

Invisible Kingdom is one I would cautiously recommend to the typical Image crowd too. Christian Ward does the artwork, so everyone who misses ODY-C (hi!) can get their fix at Dark Horse now. It's being written by G. Willow Wilson, who launched Ms. Marvel so successfully a while back. The series isn't at all what I was expecting, being about some kind of space monastery and these guys who are basically Interplanetary Fed-Ex, but it's not bad so far.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    I'll have to look into She Could Fly then. Saw the ad on the back of Invisible Kingdom #2 recently as well. Black Hammer I've personally bounced off, but I can really see the appeal. It's a pretty clever deconstruction without losing sight of sincerity, which you often see when parody gets involved.

Invisible Kingdom is one I would cautiously recommend to the typical Image crowd too. Christian Ward does the artwork, so everyone who misses ODY-C (hi!) can get their fix at Dark Horse now. It's being written by G. Willow Wilson, who launched Ms. Marvel so successfully a while back. The series isn't at all what I was expecting, being about some kind of space monastery and these guys who are basically Interplanetary Fed-Ex, but it's not bad so far.
    I agree with Invisible Kingdom. Still early days but I'm liking it. The art is what pulled me in initially but I'm liking the plot too.

I looked at the August solicits for Image and literally 2 books. Criminal and The Walking Dead. That's it.

I'm not getting much else from other publishers either, but I was pretty surprised it was only 2 books.
    But I look through that there just isn't anything grabbing me in those solicits.

(Follow up post to my last about how little Image I was buying.)