Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default What should the new Picard Star Trek series be about?

As you may know, Patrick Stewart is going to appear again as Captain Picard in a new Star Trek show in less than a year:

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a...picard-series/

So what do you think this new Picard series should be about?

I have my preference: what I suggest is bringing back the Romulans because they never got a pay off to all the story elements from the TNG era. The Romulans have been antagonizing the Federation throughout the TNG era, though there was a peace movement on Romulus that wanted to unify with the Vulcans, they were allies in the Dominion war (though they were tricked into the war by Sikso and Garak) and the end of Nemesis suggested there be a peace between the 2 civilizations, then Romulus is destroyed in Star Trek 09.

Why not have a series where Picard's skill as a diplomat is put to the test, while the Romulan Empire was devasted by the destruction of Romulus, the remainder of the Empire broke into 2 factions, a hardline faction that wants to rebuild the Empire and conquers pre-warp planets to get the resources they want and a peaceful faction that wants to be resettled on Vulcan and thinks the Romulans should change after Romulus was destroyed. So you still have a villain in the form of the hardline faction, but the peaceful faction lets the Federation show compansion, taking in people who lost their home, maybe even having to deal with Vulcans who oppose this. It allows for a rich story that has everything, action, adventure and exploring the human condition by being kind to former enemies that are now in need of help.

probably Picard?

Just him running the vineyard and various members of his old crew show up, they drink, get drunk and talk about old times...

(I do like the Picard as diplomat premise though)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Just him running the vineyard and various members of his old crew show up, they drink, get drunk and talk about old times...

(I do like the Picard as diplomat premise though)
    So less of an adventure/sci-fi show and more Sideways in the future?

If I was writing the show, I'd have it truly be The West Wing in Space. Have Picard be one of the top diplomats (or maybe even President) of the Federation and have the rest of the cast be his advisors and staff. Focus on strong writing, great/layered characters, and interesting moral dilemmas. CBS seems to be trying to go for broke with Star Trek and since it's going to be here to stay, they should attempt to do different things with the various shows. I definitely don't want another Star Trek show like Discovery. And I like Discovery.

It'll probably examine some elements of his backstory as well; maybe deal a bit with his archaeology hobby a bit.

What's interesting is also that in real time it's pretty much the time of the "All Good things" future (although that was sort of a possible future).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Since Pine is out as Kirk, it'd be the perfect opportunity for Q and Picard to find a way to restore the Trekverse back to the Prime Timeline
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 01-04-2019 at 10:22 AM.

The prime timeline still exists-"Discovery" is set in it.

Although certain events did happen in the Prime timeline that created the Kelvin timeline (Romulus's destruction, Nero and Spock going through some kind of time vortex).

I'm wondering if he'll still be Captain of the Enterprise-E as well. That's pretty much where NEMESIS left off, with a lot of his senior staff apart from Worf and Geordi leaving (or in Data's case, dead).

It'd be interesting to see if he took Kirk's words to heart:

" Don’t let them promote you. Don’t let them transfer you. Don’t let them do *anything* that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you’re there… you can make a difference."

(Of course all those thing only made Kirk kind of miserable, and was kind of a recurring theme in the TOS movies and Generations).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

His alternate reality life as Prof. X.

Fantastic Member

Primarily I'd like to see a focus on the fallout from the Dominion War (maybe 10-20 years down the line):

-The Federation and Romulans vying for influence and control over the remains of the Cardassian Empire
    -The Klingon Empire rebuilding and attempting to reform itself under Martok
    -The cultural effects of a now militarized Star Fleet

Outside of that I suppose:

-No Borg present (except maybe when referenced in passing statements)
    -No more than one Q episode every other season.
    -Hold back on the technobabble as much as possible
    -Keep space battles limited to no more than one or two per season

What ever it is about I hope they have Crusher on there as his wife. When does this show start?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I hope they have Crusher on there as his wife.
    No, please don't bring back Wesley.

BANNED

Picard or Patrick Stewart is not the salvation of Star Trek. Personally I hope it's a one-season series about the Federation mothballing all its ships and going into hibernation for 20 years until someone remembers what Star Trek is.

My great fear is that it will be Star Trek: Logan where Picard is old, frail, and dying when he realizes the Federation's ideals weren't worth a damn and everything comes crashing down. That's the kind of show I'd expect from the people who brought me Discovery season 1.

The only thing keeping me hopeful about this is that Stewart himself has said that he wants the show to be true to what Picard means to fans, and he's had significant time in the writers' room since the earliest days.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

shouldn't Jean Luc be an admiral or a commodore at this point? Wouldn't he be an executive administrator at star fleet academy by now?