Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

I think Thanos helped Mephisto escape in exchange for information about Hela's wedding in Niffleheim (hint in Thanos Legacy). Just my theory.

Mephisto also appeared in Defenders: The Best Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Blackheart would make a lot of sense there.

Escape seems a tad weird if we believe in a cohesive editorial direction for Mephisto - while it's certainly possible that the main point of Damnation was to dethrone Mephisto for the purpose of putting him on the run/needing to regain power, usually these types of stories involve actual time passing between capture and escape, more than the 5-6 months between the end of Damnation and his appearance in Scarlet Spider.
    That's a good theory, I can't imagine Blacheart being happy Johnny's king of hell, so maybe it's part of a plan to usurp the crown.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarvelJean View Post
    I think Thanos helped Mephisto escape in exchange for information about Hela's wedding in Niffleheim (hint in Thanos Legacy). Just my theory.

Mephisto also appeared in Defenders: The Best Defense.
    Thank you, that's the other appearance I was thinking about. Anyway three separate occasions seems like a bit much for it to just be a mistake on the part of the writers. If it was just once or if it was all by one writer I'd just call it a mistake, but this seems a bit too coincidental. Maybe that's why the end of Spider-Geddon seems to have retconned Ben's deal, with his book being over there'd be nowhere for to deal with that storyline, or maybe they just wanted to use a different spider. No way to tell at the moment so we just have to wait and see. What I do know is whether this actually is Mephisto or some other demonic entity taking on someone like this usually requires the involvement of someone with some experience in dealing with powerful magical entities which at the moment the Champions don't have.

I notice this story seems to go into at least March and the next month begins the War of the Realms event which the Champions are involved in, but Miles is in Journey Into Mystery so who knows how this gets resolved.

I don't see Miles making any deals with demons. I would seriously question that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    That's a good theory, I can't imagine Blacheart being happy Johnny's king of hell, so maybe it's part of a plan to usurp the crown.

Thank you, that's the other appearance I was thinking about. Anyway three separate occasions seems like a bit much for it to just be a mistake on the part of the writers. If it was just once or if it was all by one writer I'd just call it a mistake, but this seems a bit too coincidental. Maybe that's why the end of Spider-Geddon seems to have retconned Ben's deal, with his book being over there'd be nowhere for to deal with that storyline, or maybe they just wanted to use a different spider. No way to tell at the moment so we just have to wait and see. What I do know is whether this actually is Mephisto or some other demonic entity taking on someone like this usually requires the involvement of someone with some experience in dealing with powerful magical entities which at the moment the Champions don't have.

I notice this story seems to go into at least March and the next month begins the War of the Realms event which the Champions are involved in, but Miles is in Journey Into Mystery so who knows how this gets resolved.
    Yeah, even with the expanded roster, and even with the reserves, they still have no mage. Snowguard is the team's most mystical character, but her powers are about eskimo spirits (Sila) and animal channeling, not spellcasting. Kamala still has some recruiting to do.

As for Miles, I suspect Miles will end up taking a leave of absence. Silk can both sub in (similar powers) and be involved in persuading him to come back. I don't think he'll leave for good, but a temporary absence wouldn't be surprising. After all, how can he be in two places at once?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I don't see Miles making any deals with demons. I would seriously question that.
    I could only see it if it's under the assumption that it would save his friends or innocent lives, which seems like this is that kind of situation. But you're right other than that I just don't see anything else Mephisto could even offer him to make a deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, even with the expanded roster, and even with the reserves, they still have no mage. Snowguard is the team's most mystical character, but her powers are about eskimo spirits (Sila) and animal channeling, not spellcasting. Kamala still has some recruiting to do.

As for Miles, I suspect Miles will end up taking a leave of absence. Silk can both sub in (similar powers) and be involved in persuading him to come back. I don't think he'll leave for good, but a temporary absence wouldn't be surprising. After all, how can he be in two places at once?
    Which is going to be a bit of a challenge as most of the young magic users in Marvel are spoken for in terms of teams. I know Silk is a reserve member, but her situation is rather unique and Zub said there won't be many adults joining the team so I don't see another being revealed very soon.

Yeah. Wiccan comes to mind, but if Young Avengers comes back, he is indeed spoken for.

There was another teen mage - time displaced Beast - but he's just merged with his adult counterpart.

Someone who isn't a teenager, but is still younger than Silk, is Magik. Kamala's former Secret Warriors teammate. But Uncanny X-Men has her spoken for.

Is there somebody obscure, from the 50 States Initiative era, maybe?

Yeah, Silk's situation is unique. She was on the Protectors with both Kamala and Amadeus, and knows Miles from Spider-Verse and Spider-Geddon as well as him working with the Protectors in Amadeus's last solo arc. That's why Kamala called her in, she's their friend. There's only one other character that age who would make sense as a member of the team, and that's Cyclops, as the adult version now has the time displaced one's memories.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Censorship Sucks

For it really to mean something, that would require a degree of foreshadowing. Marvel doesn't do this anymore. You would have better luck Mephisto showing up as a muslim transgender woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah. Wiccan comes to mind, but if Young Avengers comes back, he is indeed spoken for.

There was another teen mage - time displaced Beast - but he's just merged with his adult counterpart.

Someone who isn't a teenager, but is still younger than Silk, is Magik. Kamala's former Secret Warriors teammate. But Uncanny X-Men has her spoken for.

Is there somebody obscure, from the 50 States Initiative era, maybe?

Yeah, Silk's situation is unique. She was on the Protectors with both Kamala and Amadeus, and knows Miles from Spider-Verse and Spider-Geddon as well as him working with the Protectors in Amadeus's last solo arc. That's why Kamala called her in, she's their friend. There's only one other character that age who would make sense as a member of the team, and that's Cyclops, as the adult version now has the time displaced one's memories.
    I can't think of anyone that would be the right fit for the job. There really aren't that many spell casters available and a new one wouldn't have the experience needed to be of much help. So this might just be something that gets managed instead of fixed because I'm not sure how to undo the deal without the damage it repaired being restored as well and I can't imagine that being a favorable option.
    Last edited by Dragonick; 01-09-2019 at 08:07 PM.

BANNED

Champions#2

spoilers:
    Kamala and Viv both die, Mephisto offers to roll the clock back to before the mission starts, Miles accepts the deal...and this time we actually get reactions to the time shift from Doctor Strange and others
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Champions#2

spoilers:
    Kamala and Viv both die, Mephisto offers to roll the clock back to before the mission starts, Miles accepts the deal...and this time we actually get reactions to the time shift from Doctor Strange and others
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Is you know who involved with this too ?
    end of spoilers

uhh... wow. pretty horrible. we'll see what the consequences end up being. you know there will be plenty.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    uhh... wow. pretty horrible. we'll see what the consequences end up being. you know there will be plenty.
    spoilers:
    Oh yeah like the consequences Peter “suffered” for making a deal with Mephisto
    end of spoilers

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    spoilers:
    Oh yeah like the consequences Peter “suffered” for making a deal with Mephisto
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    He should have, but since the point of One More Day was to get him more in line with how certain higher-ups at Marvel envisioned him, namely "unmarried and forever young," he didn't.
    end of spoilers
    The spider is always on the hunt.

It went about how I expected and overall it was the right thing to do. He couldn't just let Kamala and Viv die not to mention more lives were likely saved because they could take down Zzzax immediately than having to wait for Amadeus to calibrate the containment unit. Mephisto is definitely up to something though and it could be linked to spoilers:
    the woman Miles originally saved that ended up dying.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Is it wrong that I think using a deal to revive Ms. Marvel and Viv was a better move then reviving Aunt May ?
    end of spoilers