Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 307
  1. #16
    Better than YOU! Alan2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,146

    Default

    Is it just me or is Marvel trying to build up a Major Spider-man themed event that will FINALLY END THE OMD mess
    One More Day has already ended.

    The story is over. The loose plots have all been resolved. Maybe it didn't end the way you wanted it to, but that happens sometimes.

  2. #17
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Public Letter to Marvel Comics:

    Dear Marvel,

    You seem to be under the impression that readers need to be reminded of Mephisto and his connection to Spider-Man. In theory I can understand. This is an allusion to a storyline that ended 11 years ago. Your corporate philosophy of "the illusion of change" takes for granted that readers have the attention span of goldfish. However increasingly it becomes apparent that perhaps it's you who need to be reminded of a few realities since the thought-destroying cliche of the ''illusion of change'' has ultimately revealed that it's the House of Ideas that's run by goldfish:

    1) The Internet was invented between the 1970s to 2007-2008, it continues to operate 10 years since. Any story published before the late '90s or before Social Media, sure, you can assume fans are sheep. The fact that the Spider-Marriage was an editorial stunt, totally forgotten and unknown to all but the paltry few comics fans until Joe Q and others came out of the woodwork, is proof of the powers of oblivion and embalming bliss of ignorance. One More Day was published in the internet era and as of 2019 Spider-Man and One More Day generated 403,000 results in 0.54 seconds.

    2) One More Day is widely considered to be the all-time worst Spider-Man story, one which has tainted the Spider-Man reading experience going forward.

    3) It was the demonstrable intent and corporate interest of the artist and editor Joe Quesada that we forget and move past this story, as well as that of other writers who worked on Spider-Man after this storyline.

    Do you see the problem here Marvel? Doing (3) proved impossible with the existence of (1) and (2). But the fact of (3) also leaves you in a bind, because since you wanted everyone to forget and move past this, you never bothered to have an actual story/idea/answer to give readers for the proverbial moment of reckoning. Instead what we have are a bunch of teases and promotional ideas, which as (1) and (2) show are unnecessary, which at this point have reduced Mephisto, whose mystique is a central part of Roger Stern-Mignola's classic Triumph and Torment into an annoying and banal D-list sorcerer in a story and setting that the recently departed co-creator Steve Ditko once explicitly said would never fully tolerate incursions of supernatural because, and I quote, "A mythological demon made the entire Peter Parker/Spider-Man world a place where nothing is metaphysically impossible."

    So at this point, Marvel please stop with the teases. None of us have forgotten this story. You don't need to remind us of the story that made your former EIC and current Chief Creative Officer the laughing stock of the comics fandom. Give us the story when you are ready. Either way, none of us will forget and get past OMD. Many of us will never forgive it.
    Dear Revolutionary Jack,

    You seem to be under the impression that OMD is anything more at this point than a sore point to a few disgruntled fans.

    Most fans have moved on. As controversial as OMD was, and as butt hurt as some fans still choose to be about it, Marvel and Spider-Man are doing just fine.

    He's still their top selling character, his merchandise sells in the billion dollar range each year, and he thrives in live action movies and in animation.

    OMD hasn't tainted the character for anyone except a few who choose to be hung up over a decade-old story.

    Also, to Ditko's quote about a mythological demon making "the entire Peter Parker/Spider-Man world a place where nothing is metaphysically impossible," we have to keep in mind that even in Ditko's run, Spider-Man already crossed paths with Doctor Strange. While demons aren't a regular part of his rogue gallery, Peter already lives in a world where nothing is metaphysically impossible. It's called the Marvel Universe, and every manner of supernatural and metaphysical being resides in it, right along side Peter.

    Quote Originally Posted by VGCinema View Post
    Right now I'm treating this as a Champions story and nothing else. I'm sure Zub chose Miles specifically for the Spider-Man connection, but I don't think it really has anything to do either Spider-Men specifically outside of this book.
    Clearly Zub is being cheeky by having Miles and Mephisto together. It's a wink to readers who recognize the connection.

    But I agree that this isn't going to be any kind of actual revisiting of OMD and that it will be Miles-specific and not relate to Peter.

  3. #18
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    12,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    One More Day has already ended.
    Quesada said there was a third part to the trilogy, so you're wrong.

    The story is over. The loose plots have all been resolved.
    No they haven't, as evident by the fact Mephisto is haunting Spider-Characters again and Peter and MJ's love has brought them back together again as MJ promised Peter it would at the end of OMD, do you seriously think that's going to go unnoticed?

    Face it, the only reason you're so resistant to OMD being revisited/resolved is because you don't like the marriage and want it to stay gone.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 01-04-2019 at 06:16 AM.

  4. #19
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    12,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Most fans have moved on. As controversial as OMD was, and as butt hurt as some fans still choose to be about it, Marvel and Spider-Man are doing just fine.
    The Spider-Marriage has been introduced to a whole new generation though, and you cannot deny that. Renew Your Vows gave us the Spider-Fam and the last Spidey movie had some focus the ups and downs of his being married and the responsibilities it brings.

    OMD isn't a big deal anymore because it frankly didn't achieve anything. It hasn't stopped married Spider-Man stories from being told. MJ remains the definitive endgame. What's the point in getting mad at a FAILED mission statement?

    But I agree that this isn't going to be any kind of actual revisiting of OMD and that it will be Miles-specific and not relate to Peter.
    We shall see. I will laugh when we finally do get the inevitable Mephisto and Spider-Verse showdown. Again, I think the only reason you are resistant to this is because you don't want OMD reversed/revisited and are in denial regarding each instance of Marvel using elements from it, refusing to believe in the long game and that it is leading somewhere.

    Keep in mind that even Slott has said Peter can be allowed to have a reckoning with Mephisto, just that the marriage may not necessarily return even if that happens.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 01-04-2019 at 06:23 AM.

  5. #20
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    The Spider-Marriage has been introduced to a whole new generation though, and you cannot deny that. Renew Your Vows gave us the Spider-Fam and the last Spidey movie had some focus the ups and downs of his being married and the responsibilities it brings.

    OMD isn't a big deal anymore because it frankly didn't achieve anything. It hasn't stopped married Spider-Man stories from being told. MJ remains the definitive endgame. What's the point in getting mad at a FAILED mission statement?
    No one has anything against the idea that Peter and MJ will end up together one day - whether it be in marriage or in a committed relationship or whatever.

    I imagine it's exactly what most every fan wants and expects.

    The issue is that if they're married now, it locks the book into a certain type of story.

    OMD was successful in that it unmarried Peter and MJ. That was the whole point of it. It wasn't about keeping them apart forever, it was about allowing for romantic ups and downs in Peter's life again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    We shall see. I will laugh when we finally do get the inevitable Mephisto and Spider-Verse showdown. Again, I think the only reason you are resistant to this is because you don't want OMD reversed/revisited and are in denial regarding each instance of Marvel using elements from it, refusing to believe in the long game and that it is leading somewhere.

    Keep in mind that even Slott has said Peter can be allowed to have a reckoning with Mephisto, just that the marriage may not necessarily return even if that happens.
    I'm not resistant to the idea of OMD being revisited. I just don't think it's going to happen in The Champions. I think Zub is just having a bit of fun in having another Spider character get tangled up with Mephisto.

    OMD may well be revisited in AMS. I wouldn't doubt that Spencer could have a storyline planned for that. For all we know, he's already been planting the seeds for it.

  6. #21
    Mighty Member LordUltimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,535

    Default

    For a company that insists we should move on from this story, they sure keep bringing it up again.

  7. #22
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    12,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    For a company that insists we should move on from this story, they sure keep bringing it up again.
    Just as they constantly bring up Gwen's death, even making it a multiversial constant that contributes to Ghost Spider's mythology.

    Marvel aren't in the business of letting things slide, events from the past are rehashed constantly by them for a modern audience, and to reward long-term investment from those who have stuck around.

    Why deny people creative speculation? Why deny the company a creative opportunity? They don't have to bring back the marriage to resolve OMD, they don't need to, the marriage is always going to be around in some form or fashion anyway in spite of the current continuity, so just go nuts.

    The only reason the pro-OMD side don't want OMD explored for a second time is because they've got it into their heads a resolution means nothing hinders Peter and MJ from being married again, and that, to them, is itself a hindrance to their enjoyment of the current direction.

    But just look at the box office success of Spider-Verse, I'm not in agreement with the portrayal of Spider-Verse Peter, but he's proof the marriage isn't a hidrance, but a great help to character advancement, even when it's portrayed in an unhealthy way, it is a powerful narrative tool.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 01-04-2019 at 07:24 AM.

  8. #23
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Just as they constantly bring up Gwen's death, even making it a multiversial constant that contributes to Ghost Spider's mythology.

    Marvel aren't in the business of letting things slide, events from the past are rehashed constantly by them for a modern audience, and to reward long-term investment from those who have stuck around.

    Why deny people creative speculation? Why deny the company a creative opportunity? They don't have to bring back the marriage to resolve OMD, they don't need to, the marriage is always going to be around in some form or fashion anyway in spite of the current continuity, so just go nuts.

    The only reason the pro-OMD side don't want OMD explored for a second time is because they've got it into their heads a resolution means nothing hinders Peter and MJ from being married again, and that, to them, is itself a hindrance to their enjoyment of the current direction.
    No, no one's worried about Peter and MJ being married again in the main books.

    Marvel's invested too much in getting them unmarried for that to be an issue again.

    The main hesitation about revisiting OMD is that unless there's a GREAT story involved, you're better off leaving well enough alone.

    It's ok to reference it, or allude to it, but if you're going to do a full blown storyline that revisits OMD, be sure that it's not going to just create a whole new set of issues. That's where the reluctance lies, not in any fear of "oh no, they're going to let them get married again!"

    I do think that some writer could come up with an inventive way to revisit OMD and address some of the lingering issues that some fans are bothered by without restoring the actual marriage. Whether that ever happens or not, who knows? I think it presents an intriguing creative challenge. But whether it's worth putting the effort into as opposed to just continuing to move forward would be the question.

  9. #24
    Astonishing Member UltimateTy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,876

    Default

    Thanks for spoiling Champions #1 in the thread title
    We need better comics

  10. #25
    Spider-Fan Since '95 WebSlingWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    689

    Default

    Why is this every single thread?? Every single time, someone's gotta mention OMD. It's been ten years!! Jesus!
    The Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational Web-Slinger!

  11. #26
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    12,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Why is this every single thread?? Every single time, someone's gotta mention OMD. It's been ten years!! Jesus!
    If Marvel thought the same, they'd keep Mephisto well away from Spidey comics.

  12. #27
    Y'know. Pav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Why is this every single thread?? Every single time, someone's gotta mention OMD. It's been ten years!! Jesus!
    OMD was not a story I enjoyed, but at least it doesn't force itself into my eyeballs. If only this message board was the same way.

    -Pav, who can't imagine being so hung up...
    2019 Marvel Monthly Buys: Superior Spider-Man Runaways Absolute Carnage: Lethal Protectors Silver Surfer: Black Death's Head

    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my middle school students! DM for details

  13. #28
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    12,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    OMD was not a story I enjoyed, but at least it doesn't force itself into my eyeballs. If only this message board was the same way.

    -Pav, who can't imagine being so hung up...
    This forum is IN YOUR FACE

  14. #29
    Spider-Fan Since '95 WebSlingWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    OMD was not a story I enjoyed, but at least it doesn't force itself into my eyeballs. If only this message board was the same way.

    -Pav, who can't imagine being so hung up...
    Thank you! I just don't get it. Like, I don't like the story. But I've enjoyed Spider-Man now more than I have before (not because of OMD, in spite of it). I question why so many people can't do the same? It's not like he's the only character to have terrible stories in his longtime history, but I don't people claiming "Parallax" ruined Hal Jordan or Avengers #200 ruined Carol Danvers.
    The Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational Web-Slinger!

  15. #30
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    12,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Avengers #200 ruined Carol Danvers.
    Current year writing ruined Carol Danvers
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 01-04-2019 at 08:22 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •