Page 9 of 216 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Although not everyone enjoys the depiction of Thor in the comics, I believe this is not the case when it comes to the character's depiction in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
    that's because Chris is great as a dork.

they had to destroy everything just to achieve that which speaks volume how bad it's "mythology" was.

otherwise, it's a complete bastardization of Thor's myths.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I am a newer fan. I came in on the tail end of JWS's run.

Aaron's Thor has been my Thor and I have been happy with it. The fact is, you older fans need to accept that we newer fans are just as important to the medium as you are. We may not have the same memories of these characters, but we new fans are building those memories and how we interpret and remember the characters has as much validity as what older fans experience.
    Sorry if I sounded like you newer readers don't count, of course you do, you're purchasing just the same as older fans, hell, I am a "new" fan as well if we count in time, but what I actually meant, more than time, is knowledge on past history/runs/character traits from Thor and his supporting characters, including worldbuilding over the course of his history, things that have been massively changed to accomodate to the story Aaron wants to tell, and I think that if you need to fundamentally change a character and all the things that define him and surround him, then you just shouldn't be writing that character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    that's because Chris is great as a dork.

they had to destroy everything just to achieve that which speaks volume how bad it's "mythology" was.

otherwise, it's a complete bastardization of Thor's myths.
    Infinity War has been his best portrayal of Thor, and he wasn't a dork there, they should stick with the way he was portrayed there from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Infinity War has been his best portrayal of Thor, and he wasn't a dork there, they should stick with the way he was portrayed there from now on.
    True but 90% of people just talk about ugh them feats and how badass he was at the end.

The part in the beginning with Rocket and Gamora where they talk about loses they suffered is rarely mentioned but that stuff won't last.

Amazing Member

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...inkId=63619104
    Here's some cool links from the war of the realms event thread

Quote Originally Posted by marge_23 View Post
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...inkId=63619104
    Here's some cool links from the war of the realms event thread
    Honestly, this WotR will be more about reducing Thor than anything else.

Oh and Odin being as useless as ever.

Also, Lightning Carol???
    Last edited by GodThor; 02-14-2019 at 09:16 PM.

Honestly, this WofR will be more about reducing Thof than anything else.

Oh and being as useless as ever.
    I guess that is the double-edged sword of making this a Marvel event and not just a Thor one where everyone has to contribute or be involved, potentially lessening the impact and role of the main character in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess that is the double-edged sword of making this a Marvel event and not just a Thor one where everyone has to contribute or be involved, potentially lessening the impact and role of the main character in the story.
    I was trying to say rescuing Thor but autocorrect put reducing which is still fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I'm not even remotely surprised

I've said before I think someone's issues are being worked through

Of course I could be wrong and opinions vary

But it's same old same old I feel
    Or he is just a terrible Thor writer.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Sorry if I sounded like you newer readers don't count, of course you do, you're purchasing just the same as older fans, hell, I am a "new" fan as well if we count in time, but what I actually meant, more than time, is knowledge on past history/runs/character traits from Thor and his supporting characters, including worldbuilding over the course of his history, things that have been massively changed to accomodate to the story Aaron wants to tell, and I think that if you need to fundamentally change a character and all the things that define him and surround him, then you just shouldn't be writing that character.
    And I respect that, but Aaron is building on previous runs and what we have seen before. The more extreme parts of Odin's character, yes, but those were there.

Odin did cheat on his wife, Odin did ignore his other children, Odin did manipulate Thor and not respect his decisions, Odin did abandon Bor to get power for himself.

And while the alcohol thing is new, it's not exactly new to show Asgard as being a Viking pleasure palace that served tons of alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    And I respect that, but Aaron is building on previous runs and what we have seen before. The more extreme parts of Odin's character, yes, but those were there.

Odin did cheat on his wife, Odin did ignore his other children, Odin did manipulate Thor and not respect his decisions, Odin did abandon Bor to get power for himself.

And while the alcohol thing is new, it's not exactly new to show Asgard as being a Viking pleasure palace that served tons of alcohol.
    Wasn't most of that stuff retroactively added to modern Odin? Aside from manipulating Thor.

I'm not even for a "perfect" Odin, but at least one that feels like he deserves the rank of All-Father and lord of Asgard, which I don't feel like Aaron's Odin has ever believably portrayed.

I get that it's probably realistic for gods, especially norse gods, to partake in the pleasure of alcohol but I don't think we need so much dialogue and page space dedicated to it. Especially with Thor himself. It's like he can't shut up about mead.

Thor is like a drug addict with hammers.

It's like when a son is asking his father or mother to give him a loan so that he can sate his insatiable addiction for drugs.

In this case, hammers.

Very sad.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wasn't most of that stuff retroactively added to modern Odin? Aside from manipulating Thor.

I'm not even for a "perfect" Odin, but at least one that feels like he deserves the rank of All-Father and lord of Asgard, which I don't feel like Aaron's Odin has ever believably portrayed.

I get that it's probably realistic for gods, especially norse gods, to partake in the pleasure of alcohol but I don't think we need so much dialogue and page space dedicated to it. Especially with Thor himself. It's like he can't shut up about mead.
    Well, his being a horn dog with Gaea has been around for a while. And he did ignore Baldur and Tyre and Sif was introduced into comics because Odin was trying to get Thor away from Jane. And he did tell Loki repeatedly that he was his less favored son. Repeatedly.
    Thor is like a drug addict with hammers.

It's like when a son is asking his father or mother to give him a loan so that he can sate his insatiable addiction for drugs.

In this case, hammers.

Very sad.
    Don't do hammers, kids.

my homie odin "sealed away an entire species as punishment and by the time i freed them i created the eternal punishment of the gods from their rage and also i can't stop exiling and punishing my kids and also humans are worthless ants pass the mead" borson
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

True but 90% of people just talk about ugh them feats and how badass he was at the end.

The part in the beginning with Rocket and Gamora where they talk about loses they suffered is rarely mentioned but that stuff won't last.
    The vibe I'm getting from Thor in the Endgame trailers, it doesn't look like he will be joking. He seems dark, focused and depressed but pushing on in anger and self hate.