Page 107 of 216 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157207 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 3234

Aaron has clearly given Thor some major identity issues, his youthful obsession with lifting Mjolnir (thus gaining his father's approval which is what he craves), connecting it solely to possession of Mjolnir, relinquishing his own name to Jane when she out-Thored him with it, and becoming a one-armed shirtless drunk without it, it would have been funny if he went by a symbol like Prince did and just called himself "The thunder god." Aaron probably wanted to explore these issues more in depth in the Unworthy Thor mini, but didn't because he was having fun with Jane.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    Don't take the last piece of Mjolnir! It's all that makes me Thor!

Really, Aaron? Really? Really?!
    I have to wonder if Aaron 'gets' that Thor...is simply Thor. He has no alternate ID, like Superman. Hell, he's not even like Cap, who puts on a uniform. Thor is Thor, and is always Thor. It's not just his name, it's who he is, down to his bones

PHYSICIAN/PSYCHIATRIST WAKANDA FOREVER!'s Avatar

Sigh, dude's Thor's just...sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Aaron has clearly given Thor some major identity issues, his youthful obsession with lifting Mjolnir (thus gaining his father's approval which is what he craves), connecting it solely to possession of Mjolnir, relinquishing his own name to Jane when she out-Thored him with it, and becoming a one-armed shirtless drunk without it, it would have been funny if he went by a symbol like Prince did and just called himself "The thunder god." Aaron probably wanted to explore these issues more in depth in the Unworthy Thor mini, but didn't because he was having fun with Jane.
    I think even Aaron has identity issues when it comes to Thor given how inconsistently he's written him over the course of his run.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I have to wonder if Aaron 'gets' that Thor...is simply Thor. He has no alternate ID, like Superman. Hell, he's not even like Cap, who puts on a uniform. Thor is Thor, and is always Thor. It's not just his name, it's who he is, down to his bones
    I think if Aaron really thought that, at least like other fans do, the whole Jane run would never have happened.

If people have some mature criticism of Aaron's Thor that's fine, but if I see anymore memes, unflattering Photoshopped images, or suggestions that he should be harassed on social media, there's a ban in your future (and perhaps a permanent one).

Now, back to "appreciation."
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think even Aaron has identity issues when it comes to Thor given how inconsistently he's written him over the course of his run.

I think if Aaron really thought that, at least like other fans do, the whole Jane run would never have happened.
    I think that's the whole point of his run, is Thor merely one who wields the Hammer or is Thor The GOD of THUNDER? I truly feel like that was/and is his thesis for his entire run.

What makes a god a God? Is it merely their trappings, their worship, or is their something more?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I think that's the whole point of his run, is Thor merely one who wields the Hammer or is Thor The GOD of THUNDER? I truly feel like that was/and is his thesis for his entire run.

What makes a god a God? Is it merely their trappings, their worship, or is their something more?
    That's definitely been in it, and I think at the start it was done well, in all honesty I think he's took it for too long a journey and has lost its focus

But I do think it was a nice idea to begin with

My issue is that I feel he isn't really exploring this question - he's altered things to make it clear that you can be all the positive things that make up Thor if you pick up the hammer. All of Thor's thousands of years worth of experience is apparently worthless, and the hammer can duplicate all of Thor's powers except better. It's a very biased exploration of the question, imo, and doesn't do Thor justice.

It does kind of remind me of the Superman/Shazam story where Sivana siphons off Captain Marvel's powers, leaving him with the dregs:

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    That's definitely been in it, and I think at the start it was done well, in all honesty I think he's took it for too long a journey and has lost its focus

I completely agree, the best example of this is the current Thor title and War of The Realms. Now, I love Aaron I've been a big fan of his ever since Wolvie and the X-Men; but I always was under the impression that War of The Realms was supposed to be his magnum opus on godliness, yet it feels like a book with amazing art but scant storytelling. I feel like the promised story has been shunted to King Thor.

I think Aaron really enjoyed writing Jane Thor so much so that he kinda lost literal plot for Thor. The first arc of the current Thor doesn't even feel like the same Thor from God Butcher, now I understand that he is no longer worthy, but that wouldn't change the tone of the character. This is where I think we had editorial meddling to make Thor more like the MCU Thor.

Nevertheless, I look forward to see how Aaron wraps his run up. I can't even remember a Thor run that lasted this long and a run that brought Thor to the forefront.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    My issue is that I feel he isn't really exploring this question - he's altered things to make it clear that you can be all the positive things that make up Thor if you pick up the hammer. All of Thor's thousands of years worth of experience is apparently worthless, and the hammer can duplicate all of Thor's powers except better. It's a very biased exploration of the question, imo, and doesn't do Thor justice.

It does kind of remind me of the Superman/Shazam story where Sivana siphons off Captain Marvel's powers, leaving him with the dregs:
    I agree, I think the focus should always be Thor in his own book, and for too long it hadn't been ( not just other weilders but too much distraction from others aspects of the realms) Thor has been a side character in his own book

Now that's redressed recently but it feels like he's itching to write about something else not Thor, I fel it's well passed time he left the book

That said, there are some good ideas in there, volstagg had a hammer, that was fun for a bit if a bit tragic at the end, the Shi ar arc was good and I did think James story had some excellent parts, though toward the end with the approach of mangog I felt it quickly deteriorated, I also liked the idea of roxxon, a bit anyways

But I won't miss this writer at all tbh

Of course clearly some have loved it, which is fair enough

I honestly wouldn't even mind exploring that in a Thor book if it didn't seem like Aaron was grafting on an obsession with hammers onto Thor in order to convey it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I honestly wouldn't even mind exploring that in a Thor book if it didn't seem like Aaron was grafting on an obsession with hammers onto Thor in order to convey it.
    Seriously. I had hoped that what Fury had whispered would have been something meaningful. Aaron's run, IMO is wasted potential

Am I right in thinking that the tree wants the last piece of Mjolnir because it is putting it back together?

Quote Originally Posted by WaxHawk View Post
    Am I right in thinking that the tree wants the last piece of Mjolnir because it is putting it back together?
    Apart from my timeloop theory I have also wondered if the future of Mjölnir will be based on Yggdrasil. I first considered it when we saw the sap of the tree represented as golden, at the same time as being introduced to a golden hammer. This got a little clouded by the Avengers Thor wielding a golden hammer, something he has rarely done in his own book.

Thematically it could work, because it would define his character as connected to all of the realms. A champion and protector of the Ten Realms perhaps. For a few years now that outcome has felt logical as an end point. A hammer that reflects this makes sense.

This ties in with a confusion over the title after WotR. Initially it was suggested that Thor would continue into a new arc with a new status quo in Thor #15, then #16 says he has ‘disappeared’, and there is no #17 solicited and instead we have the King Thor solicitation. Now it is entirely possible that this title has replaced the main one, but I am not so sure. We will have to wait and see I guess, but it seems strange we would have a four issue mini and not the main title. Perhaps the book is being relaunched under a new writer earlier than hinted, and will overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post

The other way of looking at that is that you were not as interested in that thesis as some of us were, or as Aaron was. For me it never lost focus, because the book has stayed on that wider idea for the entire run and continued to explore it. If it had lost focus then the story would have moved on or meandered but it hasn’t. The main themes are continually addressed in every arc.