Page 151 of 216 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161201 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 3234
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I agree, the first Thor film, I believe, it was directly influenced by JMS's run where Thor was supremely godly.

Unfortunately, the MCU learned a bit too late what to do with Thor; they realized they couldn't keep him OP because it would negate the rest of the heroes similarly to the comics.

In Thor's solo series he is usually depicted as very capable, but in team books he tends to be portrayed underpowered or the rest of the heroes are portrayed as more powerful then usual (which of course leads to the same conclusion).

I really wish JMS's run went on a bit longer and wasn't cut short by editorial mandate, I would have loved to see the godly version of Thor interact more with the rest of the Marvel Universe.

Thor basically has the same problem as Superman, their power fluctuates depending on the situation.

Similarly to what JohnnyMorales stated above, it can happen with the same writer, you have Thor swimming through the sun at one moment and in another moment he is being held down by frost giants and he gets his arm chopped off.

We just saw the Punisher kill a number of frost giants, a human man killing frost giants.

*PS: I wonder why didn't Unworthy Thor call down lighting to save him*
    Regards the lightning, in the unworthy mini he could not, then he regained this ability prior to being worthy again and was seen to go so in the pheonix and mangog arcs

It's this internal logic flip flopping that I feel defined the lack of real internal logic in the Aaron work

Or at least it betrays a lack of clear exposition imo

DONNY CATES:
    https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/1072407063970701312
    https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/1131798158319718400
    https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/1114411641830084608

ALSO DONNY CATES (AT 19:00)

"My next new Marvel book is being announced next month. When I got to Marvel, there were two books that I wanted more than anything else, and that was Venom, and something else that I can't tell you because I just got it, been working on it for a while now. So, it's like a big deal, that one."

ALSO ALSO DONNY CATES (In multiple places but most in that SyFy Wire interview): jason aaron is my god and thor is the best goddamn comic ever (PARAPHRASED)

Haven't slept all night and now I'm Bleeding Cool without ads. *Sigh*
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    DONNY CATES:

"My next new Marvel book is being announced next month. When I got to Marvel, there were two books that I wanted more than anything else, and that was Venom, and something else that I can't tell you because I just got it, been working on it for a while now. So, it's like a big deal, that one."

ALSO ALSO DONNY CATES (In multiple places but most in that SyFy Wire interview): jason aaron is my god and thor is the best goddamn comic ever (PARAPHRASED)

It would be a great choice, he already added to Aaron's mythos with Knull and the All-Black

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    DONNY CATES:

It's probably soon that they'll be announcing the new Thor writer with Aaron wrapping up with the King Thor stuff, so I would say there's a good chance for it.

I haven't really read much of Cates' work (I wasn't too impressed with his Venom), but hopefully he can bring his A-game and improve upon Aaron's work or do his own thing if he does end up taking over.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I thought you all might appreciate this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's probably soon that they'll be announcing the new Thor writer with Aaron wrapping up with the King Thor stuff, so I would say there's a good chance for it.

I haven't really read much of Cates' work (I wasn't too impressed with his Venom), but hopefully he can bring his A-game and improve upon Aaron's work or do his own thing if he does end up taking over.
    I'm 50/50 on Cates. I either seem ot love or hate what he is writing
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

“Behold the book no comics fan should miss – the celebration of the end of a truly Marvelous era.”

HILARIOUS description. Should be: “Behold the book no comics fan should miss – the HOPEFUL celebration of the end of a truly HORRENDOUS era for THOR.”

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    That is a tendency (film and tv influencing original creations) that I understand, but sometimes narks me.

The one that really does my nut is Bernard Cornwall’s series of Sharpe historical fiction novels where Sharrpe in early books is a dark haired Londoner...but who in later books is described much more like Sean Bean, who plays him in TV series.

Nothing wrong with Sean’s performance...it was excellent as always...but absolutely no reason (in my view) to alter way Sharpe is described in the books.
    "Does my nut".. Never heard that expression. I like it! Do you remember where you picked it up? You had another expression I decided to steal a while back but now I can't remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Oh man!!! I love Cates!! I would definitely read Thor if he was on the title.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

I was just re-reading Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers run and it reminded me of two things. First, Hickman wrote a damn good Thor and I would kill to see him get a run on the book. Second, yet another disappointment in the mountain of them I have with Aaron's writing is that Hyperion and his friendship with Thor were never mentioned when Hickman built it up so well.

Of course, come to think of it Aaron's Thor never really had friends or much of a supporting cast that weren't either family members, created by Aaron or reduced to wallpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    "Does my nut".. Never heard that expression. I like it! Do you remember where you picked it up? You had another expression I decided to steal a while back but now I can't remember it.
    Idiom more common in England 20 years ago..back then in my part of Derbyshire it was used fairly often, usually including “in”: “That does my nut in”.

In Derbyshire I think most people used phrase to suggest “This is something that really irritates me, even though I know it shouldn’t”...in other areas of England it can simply mean “This makes me really angry”.

(When my sister moved to Nottingham..only 25 miles away...I was surprised how much idiom had different overtones in the two areas, even that short distance made a substantial difference.)
    Last edited by JackDaw; 08-19-2019 at 11:55 PM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Cates on Thor be cool.
    Clearly the guy wants Knull to be a universe-spanning threat and he just might be able to pull it off if he keeps writing in different corners of the MU.

If Cates thinks that highly of Aaron's run, then I think we'll get more of the same. Which is exactly what I predicted would happen. Bad times ahead, I suspect.

Cates on Reddit last year-

Question: What current series are you enjoying, if you're reading any?
    Answer: Southern Bastards, Thor, (Anything by Jason Aaron really) Mister miracle, Batman, Captain America, Punisher. I read A LOT of comics!

Question: What do you think is a Marvel title right now you'd kill to write?
    Answer: Thor

Question: What are your favorite current series?
    Answer: probably Thor. It's just so good.

It does feel quite likely he will be the next writer. He isn’t my first choice for Thor, but I won’t prejudge him.

This is slightly contra-indicative-

Question: What are your top 3 characters from Marvel?
    Answer: Spider-Man, Thor and Cap.

So who knows, he could be given Captain America.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-20-2019 at 03:40 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Astonishing Member

I liked that Odin and the Destroyer were in the History of the Marvel Universe#1 in the ancient past of the Marvel Universe.
    And this limited series mentions some Thor stories and Avengers stories as well.So was interesting to see those characters from the Thor stories,that even without Thor in the first issue,just by those Odin apearences was cool.