Page 212 of 216 FirstFirst ... 112162202208209210211212213214215216 LastLast
Results 3,166 to 3,180 of 3234

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Sure, that makes perfect sense. Welcome back the writer who not only told everyone openly he didn’t really care about Thor, but the one who took the job on short notice and completely threw away all the great work JMS did. Heaven forbid! Luckily Fraction seemes to have totally burnt his bridges with Marvel.
    Aaron isn't really better.

Oh my favorite Thor is Jane.

I don't care about fans.

I am an atheist and I translate that here in Thor book.

Amazing Member

Sure, that makes perfect sense. Welcome back the writer who not only told everyone openly he didn’t really care about Thor, but the one who took the job on short notice and completely threw away all the great work JMS did. Heaven forbid! Luckily Fraction seemes to have totally burnt his bridges with Marvel.
    Okay so he doesn't care about Thor. So what? He has still done more right by Thor than a writer and a supposed fan who thinks constantly taking him down several pegs, making him an insecure wreck who uses his hammer as a crutch or stripping him off his birthright for his pet character, is doing right by him. Again, this is just my opinion obviously.

What work of JMS did he throw away?

BANNED

Yeah, Fraction was very hit or miss on his Marvel stuff. When he was clicking on a book it was great but when he wasn't, it wasn't just average it was abysmal.

Not sorry that his time at Marvel is done for good.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post

While I doubt Aaron actually said that, one couldn't blame him for having special affection for a character he ushered into the world and that resonated so strongly with fans.

I mean, Jane Foster Thor is going to be part of the MCU soon. That's got to feel pretty good, knowing that you've left that kind of mark.

I don't care about fans.
    Not letting a small group of disgruntled fans dictate what kind of stories you should tell and how you should feel about your own work isn't "not caring about fans."

What does being an atheist have to do with anything in regards to Thor? Is there anyone who's ever written Thor who believed that the Norse Gods were real?

Whether someone is a Christian, a Buddhist, Jewish, agnostic or an atheist, the mythology that Thor is a part of is still just fantasy.

I don't know about Donny Cates' religious leanings and I don't care - it doesn't weigh on his qualifications to write Thor.

Speaking of Cates, thanks to my LCS owner, I checked out next week's Thor and I'll be very interested to hear the reactions.

He's definitely coming out swinging and does not seem daunted by the challenge ahead.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 12-27-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

I don't care about fans.

Oh look how i love having Thor as a drunken oaf who gets wrecked in every battle and doesn't have any of his classic powers.

Oh, look how i make Jane an invincible badass who can defeat even the Minotaur as a normal human with a sword.

My biggest fear for Love and Thunder is having Jane portayed as more powerful and competent than Thor. Dooming him to be seen by general audiences as a second rate joke character.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 12-27-2019 at 08:41 AM.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Okay so he doesn't care about Thor. So what? He has still done more right by Thor than a writer and a supposed fan who thinks constantly taking him down several pegs, making him an insecure wreck who uses his hammer as a crutch or stripping him off his birthright for his pet character, is doing right by him. Again, this is just my opinion obviously.

What work of JMS did he throw away?
    BTW a bit off topic, i'm glad Richard Rider got a scene in the Incoming one-shot.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    BTW a bit off topic, i'm glad Richard Rider got a scene in the Incoming one-shot.
    Yeah, that was nice.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    What does being an atheist have to do with anything in regards to Thor? Is there anyone who's ever written Thor who believed that the Norse Gods were real?

Whether someone is a Christian, a Buddhist, Jewish, agnostic or an atheist, the mythology that Thor is a part of is still just fantasy.

I don't know about Donny Cates' religious leanings and I don't care - it doesn't weigh on his qualifications to write Thor.

Speaking of Cates, thanks to my LCS owner, I checked out next week's Thor and I'll be very interested to hear the reactions.

He's definitely coming out swinging and does not seem daunted by the challenge ahead.
    The problem is that Aaron used Thor as a basic atheist strawman. Hell, that's what Gorr basically was, and Thor's underwhelming fall was a result of that

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    The problem is that Aaron used Thor as a basic atheist strawman. Hell, that's what Gorr basically was, and Thor's underwhelming fall was a result of that
    Wasn't Dan Jurgens' Desak the Godslayer the inspiration for Gorr?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Wasn't Dan Jurgens' Desak the Godslayer the inspiration for Gorr?
    I rather doubt it. Thor writers seemed more inclined to cut off their own ears than acknowledge Jurgens or any writer than Walt.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I rather doubt it. Thor writers seemed more inclined to cut off their own ears than acknowledge Jurgens or any writer than Walt.
    And yet everyone ignores Thor's Battle Armor and Mejingjord the belt of strenght.

To say nothing of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's stuff.

I would really love a cosmic story where Thor teams up with Adam Warlock to stop the Man-Beast.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 12-27-2019 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    While I doubt Aaron actually said that, one couldn't blame him for having special affection for a character he ushered into the world and that resonated so strongly with fans.

I mean, Jane Foster Thor is going to be part of the MCU soon. That's got to feel pretty good, knowing that you've left that kind of mark.
    I think he outright said it was Jane at a convention or in an interview.

I have no issue with Aaron feeling affection for Jane. It's not surprising at all. What I have issue with is how he handled her character in relation to Thor Odinson and the Thor mythos.

I definitely think it effected Aaron's run in terms of his depiction or perspective on Gods and their role. Or the lack of actually writing them as feeling like Gods.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think he outright said it was Jane at a convention or in an interview.

I have no issue with Aaron feeling affection for Jane. It's not surprising at all. What I have issue with is how he handled her character in relation to Thor Odinson and the Thor mythos.

I definitely think it effected Aaron's run in terms of his depiction or perspective on Gods and their role. Or the lack of actually writing them as feeling like Gods.
    Re the marvel god's

I think you are totally correct, imo his work on Thor was heavily affected by his own beliefs

He did say in an interview that he would need to work on that in some way iirc though I don't recall where I saw that

Now his own beliefs are entirely his right, as are anyone's, and I support people having that freedom

I do think it affected his work on Thor, in my opinion negatively because the Asgard characters came across all too human and normal for me most of the time

And there was a lot of god's being rubbish, humans being as good, god's not being worthy, heck gorr is entirely about this

That's okay, I'm just not going to pretend it's not a key point to the work, because it really was

Imo

Again I stress, this is not a comment on anyone's beliefs, I support the right to have as you will,

It is a comment on whether I think the writers beliefs directly impacted on the work, which I feel they did

The positive or negative of that is really in the reader