Page 194 of 216 FirstFirst ... 94144184190191192193194195196197198204 ... LastLast
Results 2,896 to 2,910 of 3234
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Lol, sometimes i wonder why i'm still following Marvel even though they have been shitting on my favorite characters since 2012? (GOTG, Nova, Thanos, Thor, Captain America)
    Tell me about it. The only current books I read are Immortal Hulk and Daredevil. Loki is decent too, I suppose. If Cates makes good on his promises, I might pick up Thor again.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Tell me about it. The only current books I read are Immortal Hulk and Daredevil. Loki is decent too, I suppose. If Cates makes good on his promises, I might pick up Thor again.
    Al Ewing is a saint.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Read through Super-Villain Team-Up #14 and didn't know that Magneto was able to magnetically repel away Mjolnir.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Yeah, on her Twitter, when someone called her out. But then again, perhaps she was just saying that to save face.

She was referring to the real Thor, not Jane.
    I guess I could kind of see it. I feel like she's written Thor into guest spots a few times, but they were mostly comedic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Read through Super-Villain Team-Up #14 and didn't know that Magneto was able to magnetically repel away Mjolnir.

It was a simpler time then...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess I could kind of see it. I feel like she's written Thor into guest spots a few times, but they were mostly comedic.

It was a simpler time then...
    I miss Scarlet Witch's pink suit. Still nothing beats George Perez's costume. That midriff was dreamy.

BTW regarding Thor used by Thompson, i think Marvel has become too self-aware, especially regarding their fantasy and space characters. Cosmic characters used to be written as ominous and mysterious beings that were treated seriously by the heroes and the writers and Thor was written with a regal mannerism and larger than life dialogue. Now, because of the MCU, everything above street level characters is treated like a parody of itself.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Look what i've found!

Thor Talk needs more love.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Trailer for Cate's run:

Interview with Cates about his upcoming run: https://www.cbr.com/donny-cates-marvel-thor-interview/

Gallery of 16 of the covers for the first issue: https://www.newsarama.com/47940-thor-1-covers.html

And one cover not featured in the gallery of Sif: https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-lady-s...hor-1-variant/

And the cover and solicitation for Issue #3:

THOR #3
    DONNY CATES (W) • NIC KLEIN (A)
    Cover by OLIVIER COIPEL
    Variant cover by RYAN BROWN
    GWEN STACY VARIANT COVER BY DALE KEOWN
    THE BATTLE OF TWO STORMS!
    It’s Mjolnir versus Stormbreaker as Thor’s old ally Beta Ray Bill makes a thunderous entrance! But what has put the two
    friends at odds — and can the King of Asgard convince the Korbinite to let him continue his bloody mission to save all that is?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Still unsure about Cates upcoming run but at least it looks like he'll be using Thor's supporting cast as more than just wallpaper like Aaron did. And it looks like Volstagg is back to his normal.

That being said, what is my run about? I can't really get into overall specifics, but I will say the theme running throughout the entire thing is me steering into the “Jason” of it all. Because Jason's run ended with Thor becoming king of Asgard. So my run starts off with him looking at his new kingdom and at the culmination of his life that was Jason's run and saying, “Are all my best stories behind me?” [Laughs] Which is me leaning into walking into Jason's shadow.
    If I were Thor, I'd probably be thinking to myself "how did I end up here? It didn't really seem like the run was developing to this point. Wait, didn't I do this before?"
    No. I've always joked that what I love about Thor is that he's Superman, but he's a dick. [Laughs] He's so incredibly fallible. He's still a young god, and still makes all the mistakes that young, hot-headed guys do. Now he's been forced into this spot where he has to be king and everyone is looking to him. His friends and drinking pals all bow to him now. That makes him really uncomfortable.
    Uh...I wonder where Cates got that impression? Other then the previous run, I guess. Like, when did Thor suddenly become a tool? I don't get it. What's the point of him being a "young god" if we have young Thor? At this point he should be a fully-fledged adult. And I hope "drinking pals" doesn't mean more whining about mead.
    I was talking to my wife, Megan, about the huge plans I have for Thor with epic battles and all these other crazy things. She asked, “If he can do all that where's the drama? If he can't be hurt where's the intrigue?” I said, “The intrigue comes from thinking that he's not worthy of this title. It comes from him being able to fight all these things and being worthy of the hammer, but realizing he hates being king and is ashamed to say it.
    I don't have as much of a problem with him struggling with the confines of being a king.
    Yeah, that's a really good way of putting it. He's always looked to his father, and his father's throne as this pinnacle of what he should grow up to be and this title that he was meant to have. We readers known though that Odin is just as messed up and hasn't got it all figured out either.
    I really have a hard time believing Thor ever looked up to Odin as a pinnacle of what he should grow up to be coming off the last run. Really, it was only the last run that tried to show readers a "messed up" Odin who didn't seem to be worthy of being called an Allfather in any respect.
    I love her, Volstagg, and Balder, but There's a big difference between their relationships with Prince Thor and King Thor. That's something that Thor is learning throughout this book. Prince Thor was able to be everyone's friend. He was able to ride that line between being a nobleman and a man of the people. King Thor can't. King Thor has to think about all of Asgard and the realms. That often puts him at odds with his friends and family.
    This sounds like it could actually be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    Trailer for Cate's run:

Interview with Cates about his upcoming run: https://www.cbr.com/donny-cates-marvel-thor-interview/

Gallery of 16 of the covers for the first issue: https://www.newsarama.com/47940-thor-1-covers.html

And one cover not featured in the gallery of Sif: https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-lady-s...hor-1-variant/

THOR #3
    Cover by OLIVIER COIPEL
    It’s Mjolnir versus Stormbreaker as Thor’s old ally Beta Ray Bill makes a thunderous entrance! But what has put the two
    friends at odds — and can the King of Asgard convince the Korbinite to let him continue his bloody mission to save all that is?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Still unsure about Cates upcoming run but at least it looks like he'll be using Thor's supporting cast as more than just wallpaper like Aaron did. And it looks like Volstagg is back to his normal.
    I know people liked the beard, but Thor looks so much more like a serious Superhero now and less like blonde Hercules.

That Sif cover seems to imply she takes over for Heimdall in guiding the Bifrost...hopefully this doesn't reduce her focus any more then it already has been, but I feel like it would've been more likely to write her out had it happened during the previous era.

I'm glad Volstagg is finally back. Maybe he hasn't been replaced on the Warriors Three after all!

No. I've always joked that what I love about Thor is that he's Superman, but he's a dick. [Laughs] He's so incredibly fallible. He's still a young god, and still makes all the mistakes that young, hot-headed guys do. Now he's been forced into this spot where he has to be king and everyone is looking to him. His friends and drinking pals all bow to him now. That makes him really uncomfortable.
    Uh...I wonder where Cates got that impression? Other then the previous run, I guess. Like, when did Thor suddenly become a tool? I don't get it. What's the point of him being a "young god" if we have young Thor? At this point he should be a fully-fledged adult. And I hope "drinking pals" doesn't mean more whining about mead.
    Consider any optimism I ever had for this run crushed. I hate to sound like a stuck record, but this very much feels in line with my opinion that the majority of modern Marvel writers see any authority figure other than Captain America as bad and needing to be torn down/dirtied-up. I mean: "he's a dick"... has he read the Lee/Kirby run? Thor is supposed to be noble. He's supposed to be someone who the reader looks up to as an example. Yes, you want him to have a few flaws... but so he can overcome them. Argh... this is so frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Consider any optimism I ever had for this run crushed. I hate to sound like a stuck record, but this very much feels in line with my opinion that the majority of modern Marvel writers see any authority figure other than Captain America as bad and needing to be torn down/dirtied-up. I mean: "he's a dick"... has he read the Lee/Kirby run? Thor is supposed to be noble. He's supposed to be someone who the reader looks up to as an example. Yes, you want him to have a few flaws... but so he can overcome them. Argh... this is so frustrating.
    Cates is too much of an edgelord to write a character like Thor in the classic style.

Also, with the exception of Al Ewing, no one at Marvel seems to take fantasy characters seriously.

Ultimate Member

"He's still a young god?"

What, 'only' two thousand or so years old? Gee, that's barely out of adolescence, quick, let's write him like a drunken frat-boy who can't possibly have learned *anything* about maturity or dignity or self-worth in the last twenty centuries... Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    Trailer for Cate's run:

THOR #3
    Cover by OLIVIER COIPEL
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Thor gets his real left arm back?

If I were Thor, I'd probably be thinking to myself "how did I end up here? It didn't really seem like the run was developing to this point. Wait, didn't I do this before?"

I know people liked the beard, but Thor looks so much more like a serious Superhero now and less like blonde Hercules.
    Young god? And a "dick" too? Frak, even in terms of god years, Thor is not a "young" god.

I was looking forward to the change but now I'm not so sure.

Coipel-style Thor with no beard, a bit of a 4head, and cursed SLEEVES looks too young. Free the damn arms, at the very least.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Thor gets his real left arm back?
    Looks that way. The loop is back on Mjolnir, too (yay!).