Page 191 of 216 FirstFirst ... 91141181187188189190191192193194195201 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,865 of 3234

Goddesses of Thunder to the Rescue in King Thor #3

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11...hor-3-preview/

King Thor 4 preview

https://www.newsarama.com/47890-king...irst-look.html

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Goddesses of Thunder to the Rescue in King Thor #3

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11...hor-3-preview/

King Thor 4 preview

https://www.newsarama.com/47890-king...irst-look.html
    I hope Gorr doesn't make another appearance after this. He's a one trick pony villain who ran out of things to say.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I hope Gorr doesn't make another appearance after this. He's a one trick pony villain who ran out of things to say.
    Totally agree, I find him very dull

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    The real problem is that almost nobody tries to follow Starlin's Thanos voice. Starlin seemed to be more concerned about continuity and characterisation than being annoyed at Thanos getting pwned by a Tarzan wannabe and Thor. There's a nice bit in Abyss where Gamora mocks a Thanosi speech to a crowd of nihilist cultists, saying that he can't be the Thanos she knows as he moved away from that.

Also Thanos' character development and his interactions with Adam Warlock is what sets him apart from other villainous characters. That and the metaphysical stuff.

If someone writes Emma Frost as a homicidal maniac people would be calling shenanigans and rightly so.

I prefer Thanos to be smart and morally ambiguos thank you very much.

If i spent many years developing a character with a particular voice and arc in mind only to turn around and seeing that character falling into flanderisation at the hands of other careless writers, i would retcon those flanderized versions without mercy.

Thanos should have stopped being used after Gauntlet imo. I don't think he works as a mainstream villain as well as Doom. Because in order to make a multifaceted niche character mainstream you have to flanderize him and erase his more unique and compelling facets while expanding and exagerating the more standard (or banal) facets. There are reasons why they turned MCU Thanos into Space Ra's Al Ghul. Although MCU Thanos is written much better than Bendis' Thanos, or Aaron's Thanos or Hickman's Thanos.

Bottom line, if we can complain about Thor's character derailment, why can't i complain about Thanos' character derailment?
    I don't think it was particularly embarrassing for Thanos to be tested in a fight by Thor. The characterization aspect I sort of understand because Marvel did away with continuity quite some time ago. Look at Aaron's farewell letter about Thor. Replete with how he wants his god of thunder to question his worthiness everyday and accept that he's majorly flawed. So, in essence, Thor always has to prove he's worthy of Mjolnir? It's not just Thor either. Every character literally goes through the same personal journey and arc over and over. It's why I more or less gave up on the superhero genre and simply read my own back issues.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    I don't think it was particularly embarrassing for Thanos to be tested in a fight by Thor. The characterization aspect I sort of understand because Marvel did away with continuity quite some time ago. Look at Aaron's farewell letter about Thor. Replete with how he wants his god of thunder to question his worthiness everyday and accept that he's majorly flawed. So, in essence, Thor always has to prove he's worthy of Mjolnir? It's not just Thor either. Every character literally goes through the same personal journey and arc over and over. It's why I more or less gave up on the superhero genre and simply read my own back issues.
    Peter David kinda fixed that in his Captain Marvel run with Thanos saying he only wanted to test Thor to see if he's good enough to help him defeat Walker. Those two issues were also drawn by Starlin.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    Are you Thor god of jobbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Kathryn Immonnen's JiM made me fall in love with Sif, it hurts that she's so underutilized.
    You are not alone my friend.

Sif needs more love.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Certainly I've found marvel writers far too reliant on the deconstruction of the hero and far too much of the questioning themselves as hero's in recent years and to me it's felt like too many characters have been depowered to prove them worthy of their power and mantle

It's nice then and now but for me its felt too commonplace

Or too many of their characters have felt as though I'm reading a different character entirely to fit with the theme the writer wants to shoe horn them into

Even if I'm technically wrong there, it's still how it's felt to me

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    An excerpt of Aaron's farewell letter was published on Newsarama:

https://www.newsarama.com/47889-jaso...ng-thor-4.html

It's pretty touching, the fact that a writer can stay on a single title for so long in this day and age it's quite miraculous.

I'm happy that such an amazing lengthy run of my favorite superhero came about when I was able to truly appreciate it.

I'll be sad when it finally ends, but at least Aaron was able to end it on his terms and was able to leave his mark on a character that has become a household name.
    For better or worse I think this message from Aaron pretty well encapsulates how he viewed Thor as a character and why he made the characterization choices with him that he did.

I disagree with some of it, and some of it ended up making him feel more like Hercules, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    For better or worse I think this message from Aaron pretty well encapsulates how he viewed Thor as a character and why he made the characterization choices with him that he did.

I disagree with some of it, and some of it ended up making him feel more like Hercules, but that's just me.
    I'm avoiding reading it because i don't wanna die of bile overdose. I bet he says ''the character was dumb so i fixed it lol!''

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Certainly I've found marvel writers far too reliant on the deconstruction of the hero and far too much of the questioning themselves as hero's in recent years and to me it's felt like too many characters have been depowered to prove them worthy of their power and mantle

It's nice then and now but for me its felt too commonplace

Or too many of their characters have felt as though I'm reading a different character entirely to fit with the theme the writer wants to shoe horn them into

Even if I'm technically wrong there, it's still how it's felt to me

My feelings toward this run are complicated. I liked Jane as Thor, but I feel like she didn't do anything OG Thor wouldn't. I also had a problem with the way Thor and Odin were depicted, someone on here called them a couple of rednecks, which is a very apt description. Just a couple of good ol' gods, drinking, partying, and messing around with women. Same stuff that Hercules did before he quit drinking.

Reading the excerpt from Aaron's letter makes it seem like his Thor was a bit too human, in the worst way. A guy who overindulges but still tries despite doubting himself. Why is it, that in order to make a character more relatable, their negative traits have to be over emphasized? Spider-Man has guilt and under Slott, immaturity, Hulk has anger, and now Thor has this crippling insecurity, that he never worked through or got over. He didn't feel like himself again until he got the hammer back and declared himself the "God of the Unworthy" If Aaron was trying to tell a story about Toxic Masculinity through Thor, he blew it.

This run is almost over, Cates will come along, and everything will be fine... till Love and Thunder comes out, then the debates will start again.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 11-18-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    My feelings toward this run are complicated. I liked Jane as Thor, but I feel like she didn't do anything OG Thor wouldn't. I also had a problem with the way Thor and Odin were depicted, someone on here called them a couple of rednecks, which is a very apt description. Just a couple of good ol' gods, drinking, partying, and messing around with women. Same stuff that Hercules did before he quit drinking.

Reading the excerpt from Aaron's letter makes it seem like his Thor was a bit too human, in the worst way. A guy who overindulges but still tries despite doubting himself. Why is it, that in order to make a character more relatable, their negative traits have to be over emphasized? Spider-Man has guilt and under Slott, immaturity, Hulk has anger, and now Thor has this crippling insecurity, that he never worked through or got over. He didn't feel like himself again until he got the hammer back and declared himself the "God of the Unworthy" If Aaron was trying to tell a story about Toxic Masculinity through Thor, he blew it.

This run is almost over, Cates will come along, and everything will be fine... till Love and Thunder comes out, then the debates will start again.
    That's one of the issues i had with his ''Thanos Rising''. He wrote the Titanian Eternals like average humans and wrote Thanos like the villain of a grounded psychological thriller. Like a bad remake of My Friend Dahner with a Sci-fi setting.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Jen Bartel's variant for Cate's first issue:

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    Jen Bartel's variant for Cate's first issue:

That serious expression! That glorious mane of hair! The God of Thunder is here !

That serious expression! That glorious mane of hair! The God of Thunder is here !
    It looks FABULOUS!