Page 162 of 216 FirstFirst ... 62112152158159160161162163164165166172212 ... LastLast
Results 2,416 to 2,430 of 3234

I have a hard time seeing Dan Jurgens getting any work at Marvel nowadays, beyond maybe a story in an anthology or a one-shot. Marvel doesn't seem interested in his generation of creators, and he hasn't done anything for them in over 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Probably October since that is when the solicits for the January issues will come out.

Unless they want to give Aaron's run some time to breath, I remember after Ragnarok it was close to 3-4 years before we got the JMS Thor run.
    From what I understand, the 3-4 year gap before JMS was because they were trying to save the character for Neil Gaiman but it ended up falling through.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I have a hard time seeing Dan Jurgens getting any work at Marvel nowadays, beyond maybe a story in an anthology or a one-shot. Marvel doesn't seem interested in his generation of creators, and he hasn't done anything for them in over 15 years.

From what I understand, the 3-4 year gap before JMS was because they were trying to save the character for Neil Gaiman but it ended up falling through.
    I never heard that, that would have been amazing having Gaiman on Thor. Do you know what some of his plans may have been?

Yeah, he's currently writing for DC.
    Considering how he revamped the Eternals and his own history with Asgardian deities, I would've been down for Gaiman's take on Thor.

https://www.cbr.com/jms-details-his-thor-history/

Thor was kind of the unwanted step-child at the time; he had been off the grid for quite a while, and it seemed like nobody wanted to tackle him except me. The common wisdom was that it's really hard, if not impossible to do much interesting or new with the character. They offered him to Neil Gaiman, who would've been a dynamite choice, but Neil wasn't able to take on a monthly book. I said, "I'm here, I'll do it!" Instead they offered the book to Mark Millar, who ran screaming out into the night. Finally, there was just nobody left standing but me, the guy who wanted it from the start, because I knew what to do with the character.
    It's pretty hard to search for Gaiman and Thor without just turning up either Angela or his Norse Mythology book. I remember seeing more about this somewhere else, but this is the best I can find.

https://www.cbr.com/jms-details-his-thor-history/

It's pretty hard to search for Gaiman and Thor without just turning up either Angela or his Norse Mythology book. I remember seeing more about this somewhere else, but this is the best I can find.
    No worries, thanks for this enticing alternate timeline.

Maybe Gaiman's "Norse Mythology" book is the closest we'll get or maybe in the future we can get a OGN.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Part of why it's so hard is because some of the main sources of comic news back then were offline like Wizard Magazine and others were forums like Comi-Xfan that are no longer available. I did find this a copy of the article from Wizard Magazine #160 from late '04 where Millar and Greg Land talk about the planned relaunch:

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard Magazine
    The Thor Relaunch

Thunder strikes a second time for the gods of Asgard, thanks to the combined efforts of three of comics' top writers in May 2005.
    That's when Ultimates writer Mark Millar and X-Men: Phoenix - Endsong artist Greg Land launch a brand new take on the mighty Thor, seven months after the Michael Avon Oeming-penned "Ragnarok," in which Asgard was destroyed and Thor prevailed before meeting his glorious end.
    "The old Thor is dead and gone," confirms Millar. "We get a chance to start all over again and create a whole new batch of characters, and that's quite tantalizing."
    It all started with a pitch by legendary scribe Neil Gaiman. While Gaiman's novel-writing schedule prevented him from actually writing the new series, he gave Marvel Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada permission to take his idea to an editorial summit attended by Marvel's top writers. Amazing Spider-Man scribe J. Michael Straczynski came up with a new spin that Mark Millar - who previously had zero interest in the character - fell in love with and jumped at the chance to write.
    "Gaiman's idea was so nice, and JMS' spin on it was absolutely brilliant," raves Millar. "I went back to my hotel, and while I was in the bath, I became obsessed with the idea, and I was so excited that I actually phoned Joe naked from the bath and said, 'Don't let anyone else do that Thor idea, because I must do it!'"
    In the aftermath of "Ragnarok," pieces of Asgard begin falling to Earth in the form of powerful artifacts. An evil corporation sets out to collect these artifacts, building a base around an immovable hammer - the legendary Mjolnir - in the middle of a field in Iowa. A group of teens gather the remaining artifacts at this site, which becomes ground zero for their transformation into Thor, Loki and the gods of Asgard.
    "Thor never quite seemed to fit in with the rest of the Marvel Universe," explains the writer. "There was always something weird about this Asgardian god hanging around super-soldiers and billionaire industrialists. This idea is a bit more real, in the sense that it's a group of kids who inherit what's left of that world."

A brief interview with Greg Land

In 2005, Greg Land goes from girls to gods.
    Early next year, the rising star artist with a flair for the female form will pair with mega-popular scribe Mark Millar to relaunch one of Marvel's mightiest males, the Norse god Thor.
    The move to Thor vaults Land to the big leagues and lets him strut his stuff on some of Marvel's most popular characters, but it won't be without its hurdles. "It's going to be a challenge," Land admits. "To take something a lot of people have liked and change it. But with Mark doing it, it'll have that big, box office feel."
    Though the project is in the early stages, the creators feel a concept overhaul is necessary. "All the main characters will be there, but they'll be handles differently. Don Blake won't be Thor, that kind of thing." says Land.
    The new series' first arc will deal with people's reaction to a startling development - all the gods' weapons have fallen to Earth. "They've been found, and they're being treated like treasures," explains Land. "Thor's hammer has been discovered, but no one on Earth can lift it. So they've created a scientific community around it to determine what the heck it is."
    Land won't be ignoring his bread and butter, though. The artist promises fans they'll have plenty of beautiful babes to ogle in the pages of Thor. "That's the one thing I asked for," says Land. "I know the fans enjoy my renditions of the ladies."
    And this page from March 2005 where Brevoort was still positive that Millar would be doing the relaunch:

Quote Originally Posted by Comics Bulletin
    Chasing Mjolnir

For several months now, the future of Thor at Marvel has been less than clear. With Neil Gaiman, J. Michael Straczynski and Mark Millar each rumored to be writing Thor at different times. Of the three, Millar was most recently linked to the relaunch until he opted for Ultimate Fantastic Four with Greg Land. However, in a new interview at ComiX-fan, Marvel editor Tom Brevoort revealed that the Millar Thor run might be back on:

CXF: Can you give fans the update on the Thor relaunch and where that stands now that Millar has backed away to do other things?

TB: As I understand it, Millar hasn't backed away from it, merely put it aside for the moment in order to focus on his Ultimate FF run. But he's still going to be writing the new Thor series.

This Has A “Thunder God” Factor of Seven Out of Ten

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    Part of why it's so hard is because some of the main sources of comic news back then were offline like Wizard Magazine and others were forums like Comi-Xfan that are no longer available. I did find this a copy of the article from Wizard Magazine #160 from late '04 where Millar and Greg Land talk about the planned relaunch:

And this page from March 2005 where Brevoort was still positive that Millar would be doing the relaunch:
    Awesome thanks!

I cannot even imagine how "edgy" Thor would have been if Millar would have penned it.

So JMS's run got it's structure from Gaiman, that's pretty rad.

Gods, I still lament the fact that JMS's run was completely derailed by Bendis' penchant for crossovers.

The seed was there for a legendary run, but it was cut short because of Siege.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Awesome thanks!

I cannot even imagine how "edgy" Thor would have been if Millar would have penned it.

So JMS's run got it's structure from Gaiman, that's pretty rad.

Gods, I still lament the fact that JMS's run was completely derailed by Bendis' penchant for crossovers.

The seed was there for a legendary run, but it was cut short because of Siege.
    I feel like we dodged a bullet with Millar there.

JMS did at least get enough material out that he's considered to have an iconic take on the character. Just ended up being more in the vein of a Warren Ellis short and sweet run than a years long epic.

I enjoyed Siege well enough on it's own terms, and it did eventually lead to Journey into Mystery, which is probably my all-time favorite Asgard-line book. Even if it wasn't about Thor.

Mighty Member

I don't think it will be Jurgens, but Marvel is giving writers around his generation and older some work. Gerry Conway, Claremont, Macchio, Roy Thomas... Peter David and Mark Waid get regular work (although they might be a bit younger, I'm not really sure)... There's rumors of Byrne doing some work.

JMS did at least get enough material out that he's considered to have an iconic take on the character. Just ended up being more in the vein of a Warren Ellis short and sweet run than a years long epic.

I enjoyed Siege well enough on it's own terms, and it did eventually lead to Journey into Mystery, which is probably my all-time favorite Asgard-line book. Even if it wasn't about Thor.
    Yeah, I don't think Millar would've been a good choice.

Is this just to reference the Old King Thor story or is this actually what Thor is going to look like now?

Agree, but JMS to me will always be the best, it was the run that got me into Thor. JMS made him so mythic and noble which is so rare in comicbooks; Thor was genuinely good and only circumstances (like Loki) got his throne snatched from him.

Which is great because these are the Shakespearean style stories that fit Thor so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Is this just to reference the Old King Thor story or is this actually what Thor is going to look like now?
    I hope he's not going to look like that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I hope he's not going to look like that now.
    Same. I hope it's just referencing the Old King Thor story but it's weird that he's the only character with such a different look.

I've said before I worry that Aaron will put him in the Odin role. When he showed old King Thor in the God-Butcher arc and mentioned all these things supposedly in the far-off future it was fun; however since then he seems determined to have them come about sooner rather than later, despite whether it makes sense. I don't like it at all.