Page 140 of 216 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150190 ... LastLast
Results 2,086 to 2,100 of 3234
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    See, to me I would expect people coming into it would have a very different perspective since they wouldn't have a proper Thor to compare OG!Thor too other then, I guess, Jane. So I'm not sure if they could really appreciate the struggle without really knowing what he was like before, and Aaron writes him very differently from how he used to be portrayed.

I would think they like their Supermans and Odinsons who are like that to a certain extent considering Jane's prowess, but is that being tempered by the cancer aspect a deciding factor?

I'm not sure how I feel about Thor and Jane anymore. I used to like and appreciate it but now I feel the relationship only serves to make Thor look bad. Makes me miss Sif more.
    I can understand that expectation..In some ways his struggles are very relatable in the broad sense (the burden of expectations, distant and demanding parents, self doubt, etc) but the specifics of the premise might not connect as well without knowing what he was like before. Maybe it's enough to know he's undergoing a crisis of conscience and is questioning things he has always taken for granted?
    I do think Jane being sick humanized Jane in a way that balanced her high flying exploits. I think that detail made people who wouldn't regularly care about another all powerful hero take notice and become invested. As far as specific prowess... I think that's WAY more of a message board thing than a real life thing. In my experience, whether Jane was a better fighter or wielded thunder better or whatever rarely if ever comes up anywhere other than in the online fringes of fandom. In other places it doesn't enter into conversations on the run in my experience.
    The main and most important general takeaway to a new reader, I am guessing, is that Odinson has always been a god and doesn't sacrifice anything to be a hero, whereas Jane knows what it's like to be human and is sacrificing her life to be a hero. Even if you don't know anything about the comics, that basic difference of "god, risking little" vs "human, sacrificing her life" is easily understood and provides enough of a comparison to get the story started imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    I can understand that expectation..In some ways his struggles are very relatable in the broad sense (the burden of expectations, distant and demanding parents, self doubt, etc) but the specifics of the premise might not connect as well without knowing what he was like before. Maybe it's enough to know he's undergoing a crisis of conscience and is questioning things he has always taken for granted?
    I do think Jane being sick humanized Jane in a way that balanced her high flying exploits. I think that detail made people who wouldn't regularly care about another all powerful hero take notice and become invested. As far as specific prowess... I think that's WAY more of a message board thing than a real life thing. In my experience, whether Jane was a better fighter or wielded thunder better or whatever rarely if ever comes up anywhere other than in the online fringes of fandom. In other places it doesn't enter into conversations on the run in my experience.
    The main and most important general takeaway to a new reader, I am guessing, is that Odinson has always been a god and doesn't sacrifice anything to be a hero, whereas Jane knows what it's like to be human and is sacrificing her life to be a hero. Even if you don't know anything about the comics, that basic difference of "god, risking little" vs "human, sacrificing her life" is easily understood and provides enough of a comparison to get the story started imo.
    I don't know if I think it's a thing just for message boards, because I think the power fantasy element is an inherent part of the appeal of Superheroes. Maybe people don't compare her to Thor but I think her capability as Thor was part of her appeal for readers.

I think it is enough. For some it clearly wasn’t.

How much time can be taken up with a plotline that by its very nature has to be paused for the story to work? Yes this necessitated a much loved character take a backseat, and indeed be entirely absent for long periods.

The flip side to that is that it takes a buy-in from the reader, which is a given anyway for any story. In this case one needs to buy into the idea that Jane’s story is still a Thor story. If one doesn’t do that then it’s going to feel very different. Identical to the problem of not buying into the ideas behind Secret Empire or Superior Spider-Man. They are all self referential stories. Thor had the advantage that it was still a heroic story but for some that’s not enough.

I think that’s very true. To take it further, why would it? Someone who has bought into the idea doesn’t need it. The whole argument is born from resistance to the story.

The main and most important general takeaway to a new reader, I am guessing, is that Odinson has always been a god and doesn't sacrifice anything to be a hero, whereas Jane knows what it's like to be human and is sacrificing her life to be a hero.

Even if you don't know anything about the comics, that basic difference of "god, risking little" vs "human, sacrificing her life" is easily understood and provides enough of a comparison to get the story started imo.
    Yes, Jane is making a huge sacrifice, and that ‘duty first’ outlook seems to be the very thing that makes her worthy. I am not sure that this in and of itself tells us much about Odinson, or who he is supposed to be. I guess on one level it does remind us that once things were much simpler for Odinson. That the books were much simpler too.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Ultimate Member

Except that Thor doesn't really risk 'little'. Like Superman, his life is in danger from the enemies he faces despite his great power. To say nothing of the backlash he always gets from Dad.

Honestly, I found Jane's time as Thor, and it's themes, to be a mashed mess. The cancer could be seen as humanizing yes, but her willingness to kill herself was accepted a little to easy, IMO. And the way she threw herself into battle seems to conflict with the whole 'There must always be a Thor'

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I think it is enough. For some it clearly wasn’t.

How much time can be taken up with a plotline that by its very nature has to be paused for the story to work? Yes this necessitated a much loved character take a backseat, and indeed be entirely absent for long periods.

The flip side to that is that it takes a buy-in from the reader, which is a given anyway for any story. In this case one needs to buy into the idea that Jane’s story is still a Thor story. If one doesn’t do that then it’s going to feel very different. Identical to the problem of not buying into the ideas behind Secret Empire or Superior Spider-Man. They are all self referential stories. Thor had the advantage that it was still a heroic story but for some that’s not enough.
    It was still a heroic story even if the characterization and depiction of Thor himself took a hit because of it, in my opinion.

That even when the "much-loved" character "came back" he was still depicted that way, it just didn't do it for me. Or when he was bouncing off Jane.
    I think that’s very true. To take it further, why would it? Someone who has bought into the idea doesn’t need it. The whole argument is born from resistance to the story.
    Or just not liking how it was handled.
    Yes, Jane is making a huge sacrifice, and that ‘duty first’ outlook seems to be the very thing that makes her worthy. I am not sure that this in and of itself tells us much about Odinson, or who he is supposed to be. I guess on one level it does remind us that once things were much simpler for Odinson. That the books were much simpler too.
    I mean, I think there were plenty of subtle meanings, themes, and the like in past Thor stuff as there is in Aaron's work.

BANNED

Wow! Can you believe this? Has their blindness in favor of the IMPOSTHOR reached a new level??? “He’s a god so he risks very little???” Are you kidding me?

It just so happens that him being a god makes him risk that much more because he takes on things the ENTIRE AVENGERS roster wouldn’t be able to handle on his own most of the time. So Nefaria, Kang, Thanos, Ultron, Surtur, the Infinites, etc etc etc are no threat to him??? The Celestials and Galactus surely are nothing? Korvac? A once human threat that basically killed the Avengers?

How much of that was necessary for him to battle? He could just stay back and save himself. He’s powerful enough. Yet he risks when he doesn’t have to! Imposthor risked what she had because she had nothing to lose anyway! Not to mention that she benefited from it because if she stayed in Imposthor form, she’d be good forever! Staying a “god” all the time? Wow! What a sacrifice!!!! I mean she has no son (she abandoned him and thus precipitated his death) and nothing else as far as a life is concerned. Her mother had cancer so it couldn’t have been THAT much of shock as opposed to other people. What did she really risk? Nothing.

Meanwhile, Thor has “nothing to risk” because he’s a god yet thanks to your precious Aaron, a D-list villain chops off his arm haphazardly, while some pathetic frost giants Thor normally pummels with a single punch are holding him down?! Apparently Aaron shows Thor has a lot to risk. I mean he “burns” in the sun’s corona now where once he could have conversations with Atum in its core for extended periods of time and not break a sweat!

He cries and whines over a hammer that he’s lost like six or seven times previously and which has been shattered to bits before yet, no “Mother of Storms” ever exited it? Isn’t that funny? I guess someone's “due diligence” isn’t as thorough as it should be especially for a writer who has a “passion” and “great respect” for Thor. Guess they meant he has a passion for FosThor.

Thor nearly got beaten to death by the REAL destroyer and not the Fosthor Destroyer who just plays paddy cake and is beaten by the likes of “girl power” and Manshegog. Yeah. Manshegog. Jeez. Don’t even throw in that he’s this and that to the gods. Manshegog, and even Mangog before it, could never hurt Galactus on his best day. PERIOD! But wait! The real destroyer and even Thor could actually inflict some pain on or at least cause Galactus to pause once upon a time! Yet they just got pummeled by a lesser foe that.....??! Hmmm. I though A + B should = C???

Guess not!

My mistake! The carpet was rolled out for the PET so she can have her cake and eat it to! (Smh) Later!
    Last edited by THORPERION; 07-30-2019 at 11:20 AM.

Sorry I didn't read the thread but has anyone mentioned if Thor's surname should be spelt Odinsson instead of Odinson since it has Scandinavian roots? Thor Odinsson looks more legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    Sorry I didn't read the thread but has anyone mentioned if Thor's surname should be spelt Odinsson instead of Odinson since it has Scandinavian roots? Thor Odinsson looks more legit.
    The Swedish (and Icelandic, I think) surnames sometimes use the double "s" when attaching the "son" suffix, but sometimes not: Albinsson and Albinson, Albrecktsson and Albrecktson etc. The Danish and the Norwegian use "sen" with only one "s" as far as I can see. I think the double "s" would cause English speakers to stress the "ss" too much, but I don't know.

I should add I'm no expert on these things, this is just going by looking up Scandinavian surnames on-line.

To be honest, it's hard for me to type out "Odinson" now. Feels like that name has so much baggage attached to it now...

I posted this question in the Thor 4 movie thread, but I wanted to get more opinions. If Jaimie Alexander comes back to play Lady Sif, how would you explain her absence? How about she was charged by Odin to look for Balder with a small band of gods? With Loki "dead" Thor could play off a different type of brotherly relationship while Sif and Valkyrie gets close.
    I just want Balder in the damn MCU. He's so underappreciated. I wouldn't even mind if Chris' brother Liam plays him.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    I posted this question in the Thor 4 movie thread, but I wanted to get more opinions. If Jaimie Alexander comes back to play Lady Sif, how would you explain her absence? How about she was charged by Odin to look for Balder with a small band of gods? With Loki "dead" Thor could play off a different type of brotherly relationship while Sif and Valkyrie gets close.
    I just want Balder in the damn MCU. He's so underappreciated. I wouldn't even mind if Chris' brother Liam plays him.
    I think the "canon" reason is Loki had Sif working missions outside of Asgard so he didn't figure him out as Odin (which, given how he acted, was super-obvious to anyone with eyes).

I hope Balder shows up, but I'm not sure I want to see Waititi revamp Balder.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest, it's hard for me to type out "Odinson" now. Feels like that name has so much baggage attached to it now...
    Not sure why anybody bothers. His name’s Thor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    I think she just answered you! She just volunteered to be Valkyrie’s “Queen”. Is that as “close” as you wanted them? Lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

Quick and to the point! Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    c'mon man, he isn't worthy of his own name /rolls eyes