Page 158 of 216 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168208 ... LastLast
Results 2,356 to 2,370 of 3234
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I'm not denying that it happened, I'm denying that it should have.

Think about it for a moment. The hammer basically legitimized his depression, his own opinion that he was worthless.

Is that really a good message for any story, that how you feel when depressed, is what you are actually worth?

That's setting aside the fact that Gorr's opinion amounts to racism (against an entirely fictional people who aren't a metaphor for anything, so not exactly super terrible) being legitimized.
    Well wasn’t the story more ultimately Thor realising he is worth more than that? It just took him the long way round to get there.

I see what you’re saying, of course. But it’s the story Aaron had and he told it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Well wasn’t the story more ultimately Thor realising he is worth more than that? It just took him the long way round to get there.

I see what you’re saying, of course. But it’s the story Aaron had and he told it.
    To each their own. But I don't care about a redemptive arc that's little than a character giving the opinion of a bigot weight (again, bigot against a fictional construct). Especially when the internal logic is so overwhelmingly on his side.

Gorr: Gods suck!

Thor: I've saved creation several times, founded a team that saved it several more times. My Dad, a bit of a jerk, has also saved billions of mortal lives. So shove it.

To each their own. But I don't care about a redemptive arc that's little than a character giving the opinion of a bigot weight (again, bigot against a fictional construct). Especially when the internal logic is so overwhelmingly on his side.

Gorr: Gods suck!

Thor: I've saved creation several times, founded a team that saved it several more times. My Dad, a bit of a jerk, has also saved billions of mortal lives. So shove it.
    I think I sort of took it that Thor believed he could/should be doing more.
    When he became worthy again, he realised as long as tries to do more he is still worthuZ

BANNED

When he became worthy again, he realised as long as tries to do more he is still worthuZ
    That was A LOT of crap and nonsensical convenient plot points pulled out of a certain writer’s rectum for THOR to go through just to achieve such a dumb and unnecessary “conclusion”. No GLORIOUS return. No EPIC battle. No establishment that he is the ONE AND ONLY TRUE THOR.

Worse still, no answer to the question that only AARON had in his mind: “what is Thor?”
    No character growth. No new aspects to Thor other than he’s a hopeless alcoholic and an idiot since he had all his powers this whole time!

We’re left with a status quo that’s been done and seen. Nothing else. Nothing but a weakened and mentally worthless Thor is what we’ve received in conclusion. One who is “ALL-FATHER” by title only but nowhere near a real one. Why? Because Aaron intended all of us to love Foster and accept her. If the sales of her tenure were as good and as popular as some say they were she’d still be stealing Thunder. But she isn’t. And her new book isn’t lighting up the charts. So worthless Jane Foster was only interesting when she cosplayed as Thor and took his name because there is nothing interesting about her otherwise???!

Good to know.
    Last edited by THORPERION; 08-25-2019 at 04:13 PM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

This is my interpretation also, that he should be doing even more than he is already doing because he is a god.

What are gods if not all powerful, all knowing, and all good; so to allow even one iota of bad is failure in the eyes of Thor (especially after Gorr had his way with him).

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post

What are gods if not all powerful, all knowing, and all good; so to allow even one iota of bad is failure in the eyes of Thor (especially after Gorr had his way with him).
    That seems to me to be a very Christian interpretation of the one god.

It is nothing like anything Thor should have believed......as one of the Nordic gods and as part of the Marvel verse where he knows there are other “smaller” gods

Gorr...maybe Aaron’s own point of view...have a beef with notion of an all powerful benevolent God.

Thor...logically...should have shrugged his shoulders, thought “that’s nothing to do with me”...and carried on fighting valiantly to try to help out in an obviously imperfect world. Like he always had done before this run...

He’s never been portrayed as the creator, never been portrayed as all powerful. Gorr’r charges should have been irrelevant.

A lot of Aaron’s run does seem to be based on attacking (or using?) Christianity, rather than reflecting an understanding of Nordic mythology, and how it might operate in Marvel-verse.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 08-25-2019 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by THORPERION View Post
    That was A LOT of crap and nonsensical convenient plot points pulled out of a certain writer’s rectum for THOR to go through just to achieve such a dumb and unnecessary “conclusion”. No GLORIOUS return. No EPIC battle. No establishment that he is the ONE AND ONLY TRUE THOR.

Worse still, no answer to the question that only AARON had in his mind: “what is Thor?”
    No character growth. No new aspects to Thor other than he’s a hopeless alcoholic and an idiot since he had all his powers this whole time!

We’re left with a status quo that’s been done and seen. Nothing else. Nothing but a weakened and mentally worthless Thor is what we’ve received in conclusion. One who is “ALL-FATHER” by title only but nowhere near a real one. Why? Because Aaron intended all of us to love Foster and accept her. If the sales of her tenure were as good and as popular as some say they were she’d still be stealing Thunder. But she isn’t. And her new book isn’t lighting up the charts. So worthless Jane Foster was only interesting when she cosplayed as Thor and took his name because there is nothing interesting about her otherwise???!

Good to know.
    I actually don’t think it has anything to do with Jane. She had her time and I always saw it as she was putting hope/inspiration back into Thor for his long journey back into worthiness.

However, I do agree that we didn’t get what we should’ve got when it came to Thor finally bring worhty again. I’ve said it before on this thread, but I feel like Gorrs big return should’ve been the big “end” for Aaron’s current Thor. I feel seeing Thor stare down what he fears the most and actually pick up that hammer again to prove Gorr wrong is what we needed to see.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

It is nothing like anything Thor should have believed......as one of the Nordic gods and as part of the Marvel verse where he knows there are other “smaller” gods

Gorr...maybe Aaron’s own point of view...have a beef with notion of an all powerful benevolent God.

Thor...logically...should have shrugged his shoulders, thought “that’s nothing to do with me”...and carried on fighting valiantly to try to help out in an obviously imperfect world. Like he always had done before this run...

He’s never been portrayed as the creator, never been portrayed as all powerful. Gorr’r charges should have been irrelevant.

A lot of Aaron’s run does seem to be based on attacking (or using?) Christianity, rather than reflecting an understanding of Nordic mythology, and how it might operate in Marvel-verse.
    I do think you make some sound points here, there is much in the run that I found to essentially be about Aaron expounding his views

Which he even mentioned in an interview saying wtteo ratifying his own world view with the work as I recall

That's not a judgement on those views, each to their own, but I do think it heavily biased the product, in my opinion very negativly

Ultimate Member

Yeah, a perfect, infallible God is very much a Christian thing. It's been a while since I researched it, but I always thought that Norse Gods were different in that they could actually die in combat

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I do think you make some sound points here, there is much in the run that I found to essentially be about Aaron expounding his views

Which he even mentioned in an interview saying wtteo ratifying his own world view with the work as I recall

That's not a judgement on those views, each to their own, but I do think it heavily biased the product, in my opinion very negativly
    Yeah, a perfect, infallible God is very much a Christian thing. It's been a while since I researched it, but I always thought that Norse Gods were different in that they could actually die in combat
    I totally agree with you all, but I do believe this is the interpretation of "God" that Aaron is working with because of how he writes King Thor.

King Thor gave life again to Earth with his version of Adam & Eve and even behaves like the the Christian God (Yahweh) by giving the new humans divine protection a la fighting Galactus, God Doom, etc.

However, he isn't perfect but neither is Yahweh e.g. with the smiting, killing of first borns and all of that.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Much like the rest of Aaron's run, it ends not with a bang or a whimper but a wet fart:

spoilers:
    Thor only shows up on three pages, one of which is in the preview. The other two are him using Mjolnir to deliver a heart transplant 4,000 miles away and him feeding those Dark Elf children Cul saved. The rest of the issue is barely worth mentioning except that Aaron makes Black Panther the new Senator for Midgard, Dario Agger gets away with everything because we obviously need more of the guy who makes Captain Planet villains look like deep and interesting characters and as one last act of shitting on Odin, Aaron has Freyja reveal to Gaea that he apparently has Alzheimer's. And he's apparently not the only one since everybody seems to have forgotten that Thor has been All-Father and king before.
    end of spoilers

I love Thor because he made it possible for out-of-shape dad bod lugs like me to walk around like a champ this Halloween with the Fat Thor costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    Much like the rest of Aaron's run, it ends not with a bang or a whimper but a wet fart:

spoilers:
    Thor only shows up on three pages, one of which is in the preview. The other two are him using Mjolnir to deliver a heart transplant 4,000 miles away and him feeding those Dark Elf children Cul saved. The rest of the issue is barely worth mentioning except that Aaron makes Black Panther the new Senator for Midgard, Dario Agger gets away with everything because we obviously need more of the guy who makes Captain Planet villains look like deep and interesting characters and as one last act of shitting on Odin, Aaron has Freyja reveal to Gaea that he apparently has Alzheimer's. And he's apparently not the only one since everybody seems to have forgotten that Thor has been All-Father and king before.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    That would certainly explain a lot about Odin's behavior over the course of Aaron's run, but I thought Asgardians were immune from diseases, or at least ones humans can get.
    end of spoilers

DARIO AGGER WINS and will probably be in Avengers later, thankfully.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    fam, I really don't care what Aaron wrote in his final issue of present Thor.

the only thing I care about is the word final.