Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
He wasn’t comparing Jane to a depowered Odinson, so your objections are not addressing my point. He could equally have chosen to use Kincaid as his choice for his comparison. Indeed we know Jane wasn’t chosen specifically, because there were other candidates in his mind when he was drafting his story. The story is about a mortal lifting the hammer and how that relates to Thor. In a way that was not explored when mortals have lifted the hammer before.
I just personally don't think it relates in a way positive to Thor Odinson, at least in the way Aaron went about it.
Simonson’s solution is just not as interesting as Aaron’s for me. I like dysfunctional father Odin. Toxic masculinity was not as big a topic back in Simonson’s day, and comics reflect the real world and its issues. This is why many people drift away from comics. Sometimes they just want everything to stay the same, but the world changes and so do the comics that reflect it.
I don't need a nicety-nice Allfather Odin but I prefer an Odin who has more of a mystique and grandeur to him, with flaws but someone who's heart and feelings for those around him is clearly in the right place and conflicts with his status as Allfather.

Aaron's...is just kind of too "normal" for me, which is why I just don't find him interesting. All he is is bluster and flaws, not the stuff I find intriguing and interesting about Odin and not consistent with the position and role he has in the mythos.

In my opinion of course.