Page 130 of 216 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140180 ... LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 3234
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    I thought we were finally over discussing Thor being sidelined and the Jane hate/love stuff now that Aaron is leaving and Thor is worthy once more, but now they come up with this bs, it's like a triple kick in the nuts for Thor fans.
    They've already refuted the worst of Aaron's run (unworthy), so I don't see any real 'danger'.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    For some, sure.

On the other hand, many other Thor fans are totally estactic about this news.
    This guy right here, for one.

The stuff everyone is terrified of seeing again, all the unworthy stuff? They just did that in Endgame. They're not going to do it again. I mean, look at what we know about the movie; look at the state of Asgard, Odin, look at where Thor's character is at now. Val is looking for a queen to help rule New Asgard. None of this fits the Aaron story. This movie is not going to be Aaron. Aside from Jane picking up the hammer it's likely not going to look like Aaron's run at all, just like Civil War barely resembled Civil War and Captain Marvel didnt resemble the Kree-Skrull War at all.

If you didn't like Ragnarok you're not going to like this and you won't like it regardless of what does or doesn't happen with Thor and Jane. If you did like Ragnarok? You're probably going to like this too, even if you disliked Aaron, because this isn't Aaron.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    On the other hand, many other Thor fans are totally estactic about this news.
    I mean, I can see why a lot of Jane Foster Thor fans would be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    They've already refuted the worst of Aaron's run (unworthy), so I don't see any real 'danger'.
    I think it depends on how Aaron ends his run and what the next writer does.

I mean, even past the "Unworthy" stuff, if Thor is still a blustering oaf obsessed with mead and his hammer...well, I feel we're out of luck.

If I thought kingship would change that, some of what I've seen in Avengers doesn't convince me.

And I am still miffed he's missing an eye and an arm. May as well just throw out his entire design at this point because they just don't jive with the other future Thor elements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

The stuff everyone is terrified of seeing again, all the unworthy stuff? They just did that in Endgame. They're not going to do it again. I mean, look at what we know about the movie; look at the state of Asgard, Odin, look at where Thor's character is at now. Val is looking for a queen to help rule New Asgard. None of this fits the Aaron story. This movie is not going to be Aaron. Aside from Jane picking up the hammer it's likely not going to look like Aaron's run at all, just like Civil War barely resembled Civil War and Captain Marvel didnt resemble the Kree-Skrull War at all.

If you didn't like Ragnarok you're not going to like this and you won't like it regardless of what does or doesn't happen with Thor and Jane. If you did like Ragnarok? You're probably going to like this too, even if you disliked Aaron, because this isn't Aaron.
    For me, it's my issues with Ragnarok's depiction of Thor coupled with the idea of bringing more Aaron concepts into the movies.

I think the MCU version of Jane-Thor will be okay. I trust Portman and Waititi...as long as Aaron isn't consulting.

Ultimate Member

Considering how they took Civil War, and story that I despise in the comics, and made it into a really good film, I'm fairly confident that they can take the good ideas from Aaron's run and make them fit the films whole ironing out some of the problems that the comic had.

Also I seriously doubt that they went through the trouble of resigning Hemsworth just to sideline him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    I thought we were finally over discussing Thor being sidelined and the Jane hate/love stuff now that Aaron is leaving and Thor is worthy once more, but now they come up with this bs, it's like a triple kick in the nuts for Thor fans.
    Can anyone tell me what Thor did that specifically made him worthy again? Please!

Well it’s an acid test really. Were people really that bothered about the unworthy story or was it mostly the average resistance to change and a preference for old fashioned stories that just wouldn’t be commercial in the current market?
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-22-2019 at 01:44 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Can anyone tell me what Thor did that specifically made him worthy again? Please!

You are just baiting now, surely? I will only nibble not bite, because otherwise it’s just the same old argument with new clothes.

He didn’t do anything!

You will recall many of us were insisting he didn’t need to ‘do’ anything because he didn’t ‘do’ anything to become unworthy. Instead he needed insight into his role and what made him capable of meeting the worthiness enchantment in the first place, struggling to be worthy. It was never going to be an action, or a quest, or a proof. The story was not just about him as a character and the conclusion wasn’t going to focus on that either. The story was always about the idea of Thor, the underlying assumptions of Thor, and the comics with his name on them.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-22-2019 at 01:24 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Ultimate Member

How long was Jane Thor, anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    How long was Jane Thor, anyways?
    The core issues run from Oct 2014 to April 2018, so three and a half years of publishing plus a few appearances elsewhere including in the WotR books. 40 out of a total single issue run of 102 issues so far if you count Thor & Loki, Thors, Generations & At the Gates of Valhalla, Unworthy Thor and WotR.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-22-2019 at 04:14 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    You are just baiting now, surely? I will only nibble not bite, because otherwise it’s just the same old argument with new clothes.

He didn’t do anything!

You will recall many of us were insisting he didn’t need to ‘do’ anything because he didn’t ‘do’ anything to become unworthy. Instead he needed insight into his role and what made him capable of meeting the worthiness enchantment in the first place, struggling to be worthy. It was never going to be an action, or a quest, or a proof. The story was not just about him as a character and the conclusion wasn’t going to focus on that either. The story was always about the idea of Thor, the underlying assumptions of Thor, and the comics with his name on them.
    Not at all, I haven't read wotr properly so was curious

Thanks for your exposition

And honestly, the Unworthy stuff could have been done better on the big screen that it did in the comics anyway.

I'm not worried too much about any of it. Mostly worried about Natalies capacity to phone it in (TDW) and her acting ability than anything.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Not at all, I haven't read wotr properly so was curious

Thanks for your exposition
    Fair enough. For further context he gains insight via his hanging on the tree, and his current status quo is as the King but he is refusing the call of a greater title. He wants to rebuild Old Asgard and Mjolnir is described as having a remnant of the Mother of Storms in it and as such still ‘alive’. Not had a chance to read the last couple of weeks of comics properly yet myself. Just a quick first read through not the usual deep dive, so my memory may not be exact on the wording.

One thing that stands out is the Thor and Avengers books have Thor described as worthy when the last WotR issue described him less clearly and implied he kind of wasn’t. In Avengers he is shown to still have the old doubts, but I imagine that’s mostly the outworking of recent stress. It fits in that story because everyone’s inner fears are expressed in thought balloons. I doubt that is how he will be portrayed in the final issue of Thor or the upcoming mini.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-22-2019 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    And honestly, the Unworthy stuff could have been done better on the big screen that it did in the comics anyway.

I'm not worried too much about any of it. Mostly worried about Natalies capacity to phone it in (TDW) and her acting ability than anything.
    That's a fair point - she's an actress who can be good.... when the material she has to work with is good. She was good in that wonderful Alex Garland movie, Annihilation, for example. But if the material she has to work with is underwhelming? Yea, verily, she can suck.

So far as this film is concerned, though, judging from the rather marvellous Odin scene inRagnarok, I'll join in with the chorus of people who are confident that the film-makers will do an excellent job

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    That's a fair point - she's an actress who can be good.... when the material she has to work with is good. She was good in that wonderful Alex Garland movie, Annihilation, for example. But if the material she has to work with is underwhelming? Yea, verily, she can suck.
    She was good in that yes. Not actually a fan of the movie however. In general she has developed greatly as an actor over the years. Plus there’s the Oscar.

She does appear to respond well to good directors who know how to get the most out of her. Even though her role in the first Thor movie was really quite slight, Branagh, with his stage background, was able to do this. TDW was clearly not the happiest of productions yet she is still good in places.

So far as this film is concerned, though, judging from the rather marvellous Odin scene inRagnarok, I'll join in with the chorus of people who are confident that the film-makers will do an excellent job
    On that, it would seem we will get even more emphasis on gods being more than just high powered, long lived, aliens. You can hardly have a movie about a mortal becoming a goddess without exploring the idea of what a god is. This is good news IMO. The biggest misstep with Thor was to de-emphasise the deity.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-22-2019 at 06:17 AM.