Page 200 of 216 FirstFirst ... 100150190196197198199200201202203204210 ... LastLast
Results 2,986 to 3,000 of 3234
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    I watched that video before. I actually have my own theory that the reason that all of a sudden and out of nowhere sometime in 2014 IIRC Thor was now a woman, Hulk was now an asian kid, Captain America was a black dude, Iron man was a black girl, etc... was some higher up from Disney picking up the phone calling Marvel editors and telling them to change all these characters genders and races because they want to keep making Marvel movies for DECADES to come and they can't do it with the same characters, they want to keep constantly changing them. Some characters worked, some did not. Which is why Natalie Portman(who plays Jane Foster) is now going to be Thor just like in the comics, Sam Wilson is taking over the mantle of Captain America from Steve Rogers, but characters that failed like Cho Hulk and Riri Williams are probably not gonna get their cinematic debut any time soon.
    Now the casual MCU fans will think Jane Is the most competent and badass Thor ever while Odinson is a second rate buffoon who yells at kids playing Fortnite.

The MCU has been a Monkey's Paw. Sure people now know that the Marvel universe Is bigger than just Spider-Man and X-MEN, but alot of characters in the comics got screwed over because of sinergy.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 12-07-2019 at 12:56 PM.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Astonishing Member

Thor:The Worthy was a great special edition comic book of Thor stories.
    I liked all the three stories in it,but those first two stories were cool.
    Dunno which of the first two stories i liked more,the Thunderstrike was more action packed that the Beta Ray Bill story.But the art in the Beta Ray Bill by Mike Hawthorne was so detailed having being inked by Sal Buscema.So yeah,talk about being a tough choice to say which of the first two stories was better.
    I liked the third story as well,but just not as much of the first two stories.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I miss the Code Blue team.
    Agreed. They were a great supporting cast.

Also, it was nice that Superman is considered among the WORTHY (even after what happened at the end of JLA/Avengers).

Ragnarok has been playing on TBS this weekend. Enjoyable. Good rapport between Hemsworth and the supporting characters. I hope that the Grandmaster shows up elsewhere, maybe the next Guardians movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Ragnarok has been playing on TBS this weekend. Enjoyable. Good rapport between Hemsworth and the supporting characters. I hope that the Grandmaster shows up elsewhere, maybe the next Guardians movie.
    That being said, Thor has been completely destroyed by the MCU. Thor's characterization was pretty good during Thor 1, 2, and the first two Avengers films. The only problem was he didn't get enough to do during team films and for solo films, Jane and her Scooby Gang stole his screen time. But, his speech pattern and characterization was solid.

So, of course, with Ragnarok they decided to "fix" Thor by...changing his characterization. He is now a frat bro basically, and a bit of a neckbeard for good measure.

Ragnarok is a Thor film for people who hate Thor. It doesn't take itself seriously at all and is deeply devoted to making fun of the character and the entire concept of Asgard. For example, the Bifrost being introduced in the film by a guy using a shakeweight. And by the end it is all destroyed...Asgard, Odin, The Warriors 3 are all gone. Even Mjolnir is broke into a thousand pieces.

The only reason the film was a success is that most people didn't really care about Thor. He wasn't that popular, definitely less popular than Cap and Tony and Hulk. The MCU had never really showed off the potential of the character, so when he was destroyed people didn't really care.

But imagine if Thor had actually gotten the films he deserved. He's supposed to have stories like LOTR or the Walt Simonson run. But that was too difficult for Marvel, so after two weak attempts, they just gave up. They gave up as said "let's just hire a comedy director and make Ragnarok like a rip-off of Guardians of the Galaxy." And that's exactly what they did.

By the end of Ragnarok, GotG and Thor had become indistinguishable beyond the surface level:

At the end of the movie, the whole team is together on one ship, as they head off into a new adventure

Thor is the lovable, but arrogant and simple-minded fratboy with the power of a god (just like Quill)

Valkyrie is the tough, reliable second-in-command who is a bit too good for that guy (just like Gamora, they even both use blades)

Korg is the muscle that provides comic relief through inappropriate commentary and is less intelligent than his comic counterpart (Drax)

Miek is the silent, but deadly creature feature (Groot)

Loki is the wildcard, powerful but only really there at the mercy of their sibling (Nebula)

Hulk is the "smart guy" with anger management issues (Rocket)

The MCU fell back on a formula that had worked, rather than portraying Thor as the unique character he actually is.

I'm not talking about tone necessarily ("melodrama") I was referring more to aesthetics and the complexity of the lore. There should be a lot more action, and it should feel weighty and brutal. The action in Ragnarok was pathetic, and completely inadequate for something titling itself "Thor." The Hulk fight in particular felt like a fight between two cartoon balloon animals. Ragnarok also had the bare minimum of viking fantasy in its costuming and locations.

The trilogy overall failed to capture the breadth of the lore, so I won't blame Ragnarok alone for that. But I will say it destroyed any chance of that lore in the future by killing everyone and blowing up Asgard etc.

I would have accepted the difference in tone perhaps if it had at least gotten the rest right. The movie Your Highness is a great example of what that might look like (although there it's also helped by the humor actually being funny, rather than Ragnarok's limp improv and meta references.) It's not like Thor 1 or 2 were unfunny.

Instead Ragnarok failed to be a Thor film on every level, including tone (which was campy only on rare occasions.)
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed. They were a great supporting cast.

Also, it was nice that Superman is considered among the WORTHY (even after what happened at the end of JLA/Avengers).
    Superman is arguably the most noble and empathetic hero of the DCU so i agree he's worthy.

As for Code Blue, i think they would fit better in a Captain America or Spider-Man book. Being able to give trouble to Thor villains is a bit much imo. Although they do help make Thor feel like Marvel's Superman when he's in a metropolitan setting.

BANNED

Just read Avengers #27, Aaron is obsessed with showing Jen as superior to Thor, having her handle hordes of Brood, while he falls under their control............smh

Not to mention Aaron just can't seem to get his mojo for The Avengers book, he hasn't delivered a single noteworthy arc in 27 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Just read Avengers #27, Aaron is obsessed with showing Jen as superior to Thor, having her handle hordes of Brood, while he falls under their control............smh

Not to mention Aaron just can't seem to get his mojo for The Avengers book, he hasn't delivered a single noteworthy arc in 27 issues.
    Has Thor done a single noteworthy thing in this run other then get beat up or just stand around?

Maybe throw his hammer around once, but that's it.

I think this might be the worst showing Thor has ever had in an Avengers run to be honest. Or at least in the last decade.

Aaron's gonna Aaron.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post

Ragnarok is a Thor film for people who hate Thor. It doesn't take itself seriously at all and is deeply devoted to making fun of the character and the entire concept of Asgard. For example, the Bifrost being introduced in the film by a guy using a shakeweight. And by the end it is all destroyed...Asgard, Odin, The Warriors 3 are all gone. Even Mjolnir is broke into a thousand pieces.
    What a strange comment. I like Thor and I think Ragnarok is a great film.

BANNED

Talking Happy Thor's Day!

Thor #171 Dec 1969
    "The Wrath of the Wrecker!"
    Thor hears that civil rights leader Pedro Luis Lopez has been shot
    by a would-be assassin and goes to operate on him as Dr. Don Blake.

Elsewhere, the Wrecker overcomes the constant sedation under which he is kept, escapes a prison hospital,

travels to Manhattan and goes on a rampage. When shockwaves from the
    Wrecker's attacks shake the hospital, Blake excuses himself and becomes Thor.

Thor and the Wrecker battle, with Thor passionately arguing that
    the Wrecker should find compassion and use his power for good.

When they crash through the sidewalk onto a subway track,

Thor tosses the Wrecker onto the train rail, then runs his hammer's energies through it,
    apparently drawing the Norn power out of his foe and knocking him unconscious.

Blake returns to the hospital in time to save Lopez but a colleague
    wonders how he can be so unfeeling about briefly abandoning his patient.

Script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Bill Everett

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Has Thor done a single noteworthy thing in this run other then get beat up or just stand around?

Maybe throw his hammer around once, but that's it.

I think this might be the worst showing Thor has ever had in an Avengers run to be honest. Or at least in the last decade.
    Aaron's needs to go. People who says that this is the best Thor since Simonsons needs to do better research.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Thor #171 Dec 1969
    "The Wrath of the Wrecker!"
    Thor hears that civil rights leader Pedro Luis Lopez has been shot
    by a would-be assassin and goes to operate on him as Dr. Don Blake.

Elsewhere, the Wrecker overcomes the constant sedation under which he is kept, escapes a prison hospital,

travels to Manhattan and goes on a rampage. When shockwaves from the
    Wrecker's attacks shake the hospital, Blake excuses himself and becomes Thor.

Thor and the Wrecker battle, with Thor passionately arguing that
    the Wrecker should find compassion and use his power for good.

When they crash through the sidewalk onto a subway track,

Thor tosses the Wrecker onto the train rail, then runs his hammer's energies through it,
    apparently drawing the Norn power out of his foe and knocking him unconscious.

Blake returns to the hospital in time to save Lopez but a colleague
    wonders how he can be so unfeeling about briefly abandoning his patient.

Script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Bill Everett
    By Odin's Beard i miss this Thor and Wrecker.

Hi people..
    I’ve posted a few threads here in the distant pass.
    I’ve been lurking here for years. I thought I’d reacquaint myself with the forum again. :-)

Welcome to our happy band.