Page 97 of 216 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107147197 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 3234

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    My concern at the time was it could have become the new Thor. For a while it was very popular and if they had chosen that route they would have ditched the past entirely. It was a touch and go time for Thor.
    I doubt that was ever in the cards at all. Not that Thor in that book was very different from standard Thor (especially compared to Aaron).
    From my perspective there were a number of issues that needed tidying up and sorting out to bring Thor back into the mainstream of the MU and I believe many of those issues have been addressed or are being addressed by Aaron. I believe he will leave Thor in a much more healthy place than he found it. He found it in a bit of a mess.
    From my perspective things just seem to be more in a mess with the mischaracterization and the shifting focus of the mythos and characters, but to each their own.

I think the franchise was much clearer and easy to grasp before Aaron and Jane Thor happened. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I doubt that was ever in the cards at all. Not that Thor in that book was very different from standard Thor (especially compared to Aaron).
    I think it is easy to forget how dead Thor was. If it wasn’t for the movie coming up we may never have got the book back. It would have been viable to maintain IP with the occasional mini and just leave him written out of continuity for as long as they wanted.

BANNED

Whether thor needed fixing or not and whether Aaron has left thor in a better place or not he certainly successfully got his version of thor to capture the eye and create a compelling narrative for much of his run before it started to get too much preachy or running out of steam. too bad he couldn't make the change more palatable for old readers and retain thor in the title in some capacity which provided at least a semblance of the old Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    Whether thor needed fixing or not and whether Aaron has left thor in a better place or not he certainly successfully got his version of thor to capture the eye and create a compelling narrative for much of his run before it started to get too much preachy or running out of steam. too bad he couldn't make the change more palatable for old readers and retain thor in the title in some capacity which provided at least a semblance of the old Thor.
    We don't actually have any idea of the demographic that are enjoying it. While it may have a wider demographic than some books, I suspect many are men over 30 or even like me men over 50. I imagine most are long term readers because that seems to be the case with most Marvel books. There is no reason to think 'old time fans' are better represented in places like this.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

I think it is easy to forget how dead Thor was. If it wasn’t for the movie coming up we may never have got the book back. It would have been viable to maintain IP with the occasional mini and just leave him written out of continuity for as long as they wanted.
    Thor’s title was already back years before the movie with JMS’ top selling run and it continued selling well under Gillen and Fraction. And the Mighty Avenger ran concurrently with the main title and came out in 2010, Thor had his book back for years at that point. Even the other mini you mention First Thunder wasn’t released during the time Thor was without a title but in 2011. Your timeline is hilariously off.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    Thor’s title was already back years before the movie with JMS’ top selling run and it continued selling well under Gillen and Fraction. And the Mighty Avenger ran concurrently with the main title and came out in 2010, Thor had his book back for years at that point. Even the other mini you mention First Thunder wasn’t released during the time Thor was without a title but in 2011. Your timeline is hilariously off.
    If you look at the timeline JMS was already writing the movie when he was hired. I am not making a comment about the timeline of the individual Thor minis, just that this was all we had for a long time.

BANNED

And I have warranted this intervention how exactly?
    By being condescending to pretty much anyone you talk to.

But you know what, forget it, many people are telling you this, if you are still in denial and don't want to listen, then go ahead, you are free to do so.

If you look at the timeline JMS was already writing the movie when he was hired. I am not making a comment about the timeline of the individual Thor minis, just that this was all we had for a long time.
    Keep shifting those goalposts.

Absolutely agree. Way back when his run moved into its second volume I remember pointing out that one of the alternatives is no Thor comic at all, because Thor is not a guaranteed seller and not that long ago we had a big gap without any Thor comics apart from some distinctly ordinary mini series produced to hopefully placate fans who demanded one. He wasn’t even in mainstream continuity. Just ignored.

Some of those mini-series were entirely nonsensical in their approach, rewriting canon entirely in an attempt to find a way to make him successful. Some were even good if not very canonical. Fans tend to forget the bad ones. Imagine if First Thunder had been a success and lasted for the good part of a decade. This very nearly happened with The Mighty Avenger. It was a very sad time to be a Thor fan.
    Almost everything you said in this quote was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    By being condescending to pretty much anyone you talk to.

But you know what, forget it, many people are telling you this, if you are still in denial and don't want to listen, then go ahead, you are free to do so.
    Indeed let's leave moderation to the moderators.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    Keep shifting those goalposts.

Almost everything you said in this quote was wrong.
    We had a period between Oct 2004 and July 2007 no ongoing Thor titles were being made. We purely had mini-series. Most of them are non-canonical. That could have continued. The preproduction of the Thor movie was notoriously long but Marvel knew it was coming. We all knew it was in pre-production because there were less secrets back then. The production that finally lead to it being made was launched in April 2006.

My reference to First thunder is based on it being a non-canonical mini of the type marvel could have continued to make if they so wished. One I personally don't care for. My reference to The Mighty Avenger was suggesting the type of non-canonical story we could have had for many years and from memory it was extended before it was cancelled. It could have been the ongoing if the main book had died a death. As this was approximately the time of Siege it wouldn't have surprised me if Thor had spluttered to a halt at that time. The 600 had been put to bed and the Siege era was really not good IMO. I know some liked it.

Spectacular Member

cool. now that people have had their say on JK (rightly or wrongly) why don't we move the thread along to Thor. You know, the blonde chap, hammers and all that. I feel neither love nor hate for Aaron and as all comic writers he is transitory and will be a footnote in a book about the history of Thor, then the next guy/lady will take over and we will all be arguing about them. That's the joy of art it is different things to different people and no one is either right or wrong

Amazing Member

Take the hint. It takes two people to have an argument. I know you don't agree with me, but I am not going to argue. It is sufficient to make my point clear and I have done that. You made your points very clear in the other thread. The discussion was closed there.
    what????

first off, you rarely made your point clear... either you just moved on to a new point or kept being vague and only responding to one or two of my lines, ignoring the rest.... such as with your statement about "story structure" and me asking you what you meant, or your points about star wars and LOTR and on and on I could go~

it's not that I don't agree with you mate, it's the fact that you are making WRONG points and people are calling you out for them. There was no argument in the war of the realms thread, it was me calling out your various statements/points/responses and you constantly either ignoring my points or deflecting the issue to "i don't want to argue"... what????

you are free to make your point(s) as I am free to respond to them since you are posting in a public forum inside DISCUSSION threads... and so, I have shown how many of your points are wrong, or at the least, I disagree with them and have presented my side... and you just want to ignore everything? there's something to be said about a person with this kind of attitude :/

why are you making posts in a forum if you are not ready to defend yourself when you're called out? and not just me, by so many people

you are legit making posts with wrong conclusions, facts, theories, assumptions and so on.... and when people are calling you out, you always seem to just ignore the criticisms and move on -_- and if it's not deflection or ignoring, you bring up other **** in attempts to move goalposts or change the topic at hand (btw, I still responded to all the new points you kept bringing up... which, of course, you also ignored)

you can't just post wrong **** and expect people to not call you out as you keep making these grand statements and are full on defending aaron (and jane as a character), acting like aaron can do no wrong and all is perfect and good with Thor comics right now in threads about thor

Panic and wall-crawler make excellent points similarly about your behaviour and attitude... Alpha to Omega pointing out more wrong **** that you keep posting as if you're an expert... sigh, i'll just stop here~
    Last edited by voidox; 06-07-2019 at 12:12 PM.

We had a period between Oct 2004 and July 2007 no ongoing Thor titles were being made. We purely had mini-series. Most of them are non-canonical. That could have continued. The preproduction of the Thor movie was notoriously long but Marvel knew it was coming. We all knew it was in pre-production because there were less secrets back then. The production that finally lead to it being made was launched in April 2006.

My reference to First thunder is based on it being a non-canonical mini of the type marvel could have continued to make if they so wished. One I personally don't care for. My reference to The Mighty Avenger was suggesting the type of non-canonical story we could have had for many years and from memory it was extended before it was cancelled. It could have been the ongoing if the main book had died a death. As this was approximately the time of Siege it wouldn't have surprised me if Thor had spluttered to a halt at that time. The 600 had been put to bed and the Siege era was really not good IMO. I know some liked it.
    There were precisely two Thor related mini-series released between 2004 and 2007, Thor: Blood Oath and Stormbreaker: The Saga of Beta Ray Bill. Three if you include Thor: Son of Asgard, which launched prior to Thor's main book ending. Hardly the numerous mini-series you claimed, and none of which twisted continuity quite as much as your beloved Aaron's work.

And Marvel was attempting to relaunch Thor as early as 2005 with Neil Gaiman writing, then when that fell through they had Mark Millar on board but he kept delaying until eventually they gave it to JMS. Marvel never planned to let Thor stay in limbo.

meh for me the story went down hill after Siege.

even Siege had some moments where I was like Ok... Balder trusts Loki and becomes allies with Doom because that makes perfect sense but the arc was fine.

but stuff with the All-Mother bullcrap, Odin's 360 character turn when he came back to life and introduction of Cul (which made many holes in Thor's canon) irked me a lot.

Gorr the God Butcher was a nice arc which got some stuff back on track but then came the Original Sin and they introduced Heven, Angels and Angela and while I like Angela, I won't ignore how many holes yet again this new discovery brought us.

then came female Thor which was an interesting concept but it went downhill pretty quickly and yet again made many holes in Thor's canon.

unfortunately, we have to accept this story as the new canon.

they won't retcon it any time soon.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    unfortunately, we have to accept this story as the new canon.

they won't retcon it any time soon.
    sigh... ya :/

but hey, here's to hoping a new writer comes along sometime soon to try and fix some stuff up~