Page 104 of 216 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 3234

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    Point is, I find it funny when you don't like some portrayals like Mangog but then defend how Thor and Odin are portrayed when we say their portrayal is garbage.
    It is the word garbage that I would always take offence to. That is more than opinion, it's a judgment of worth.

In my critique of Mangog under Jurgens I don't say "and so Jurgens was a terrible writer". He is categorically one of the better modern writers.

I think Mangog was handled very well by Aaron, respectful of continuity (more than I would have been) and thematically appropriate. As I cross-posted above once I found the references.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 06-19-2019 at 05:38 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Do you honestly think the examples I alluded to are not clear examples of his capabilities? That slaughtering a pile of Frost Giants was somehow a weak Thor? That causing a storm across the whole world is somehow underpowerd?
    No, I don't think that, I didn't mean to suggest they weren't, I just don't know where these happened, please if you could tell me the issues I'd love to go read them

I wasn't meaning to disagree with them, I did in fact admit to being out of date there

If in that you felt I was being argumentative I apologize it wasn't my intent

Any specific s are most welcome

It is the word garbage that I would always take offence to. That is more than opinion, it's a judgment of worth.
    why would you take offense if you are not the writer???

besides, I don't offend Aaron as a person. I'm pretty sure Aaron is a nice person with who you can drink a beer with.

but I definitely think he doesn't understand Thor's mythos.

I think Mangog was handled very well by Aaron, respectful of continuity (more than I would have been) and thematically appropriate. As I cross-posted above once I found the references.
    yeah, for YOU maybe.

no way in hell for us.
    Last edited by GodThor; 06-19-2019 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    No, I don't think that, I didn't mean to suggest they weren't, I just don't know where these happened, please if you could tell me the issues I'd love to go read them
    Well there is no guarantee that you will enjoy them. I mean past enjoyment of a writer is probably a good indication of current enjoyment.

Spoilers ahead but it was previous weeks so I won't tag them.

In WotR #5 Thor's anger is causing a thunder storm "All around the globe. From burning sea to frozen shore" before we are gifted a phenomenal singe page splash of Thor in his full thunder rage as he searches for Malekith, who is hiding from him and enacting his own plan.

In 'War of the Realms Strikeforce: The Land of Giants', Cap, wolverine and Spidy, follow a large river of frost giant blood that is flowing across an entire epic landscape to find Thor and when 'the ground turned to mountainous bodies', Thor was standing there screaming in a berserker frenzy for more foes. This is not Thor in weakness or de-powered IMO. This is Thor embodying the rage of a warrior god.

Now if you would prefer to see Thor taking on each giant in a long fight scene instead of the awe inducing wonder of seeing the results of his fight, then you do you. If you would prefer to see Thor fight Malekith than Jane fighting him then you may not want to read the book at all. I don't need those things. This story is shaping up to be the epic it promised to be IMO.

why would you take offense if you are not the writer???

besides, I don't offend Aaron as a person. I'm pretty sure Aaron is a nice person with who you can drink a beer with.

but I definitely think he doesn't understand Thor's mythos.
    Sorry, that is just backtracking. You just said his work was garbage. You can't pretend that isn't an insult.

I have said many times I believe he understands the Thor mythos perfectly well from my perspective. I have highlighted multiple examples of why. It is easy to narrowly define the mythos only by those bits you personally like. Aaron doesn't get that luxury. He has to work with a huge corpus of often contradictory material and come up with a new story. That's exactly what he did with Mangog.

Mangog is not consistent from one appearance to another. Aaron very carefully chose not to contradict anything, and used him in a manner that resonated with this story and also referenced many of the previous appearances. That is a writer doing his due diligence and respecting canon. He does this throughout his entire run with every character he uses. Again, it may not match individual people's favourite parts of canon, but he isn't here to do that.

Sorry, that is just backtracking. You just said his work was garbage. You can't pretend that isn't an insult.
    I didn't know you were Jason Aaron.

besides, this is Thor appreciation thread not Jason Aaron appreciation thread.

if you find my opinion about his run a problem and you are offended by it then I can't help you at all... you can ignore me though.
    I have said many times I believe he understands the Thor mythos perfectly well from my perspective.
    Oh you did many, many too many times...

I would personally put him as the worst writer Thor ever had.
    Last edited by GodThor; 06-19-2019 at 01:01 PM.

That is an entirely different point though isn't it? Thor is still ultra capable. The fact that the story has not been about 'really good solo wins' is not the same as saying he has been de-powered. He hasn't. He has been very slightly moved down the ultra superheroic scale. At first he had difficulties doing what he was used to doing, then he mostly came to terms with that. For example, his rage across the Earth, and the corresponding super storm in WotR does not suggest he is limited in any way.
    He definitely hasn't been Jane-level Ultra Capable in a while.
    No. I am talking about this perception that Thor Odinson has seen a significant reduction in his actual combat effectiveness. I don't see any evidence of that. Certainly not since the current volume started. The psychological change happened in Unworthy Thor, and the manifested change happened when he started to insist Odin made him hammers. That's all fascinating story that implies something about Thor that some may not like, but it doesn't represent a drop in his combat effectiveness.
    I've definitely been pretty upfront about that. I don't see it as fascinating so much as kind of dumbing Thor down to be honest.

I mean, he comes off to me as definitely less effective then he has been in prior runs and especially with how Jane was depicted with Mjolnir.
    Where does Aaron suggest he is weaker morally? Yes he took a big hit to his mental stability, we even got a mini-series to show how he began to come to terms with that. That is additive not regressive. We learn more about him, and we learn more about what his power is and isn't. We are still on that journey with him.
    I can't say I've learned much more about Thor other then he's a much weaker and more prone to drinking mead then I thought he was. The only thing it confirmed about his power is stuff fans pretty much already knew.

He's definitely regressed a lot on The Avengers.
    I think this argument keeps getting stuck in the idea that the narrative of a character that goes through problems should conform to a certain perspective. That somehow every story about a hero struggling should be a perfect arc as presented in the Hero's Journey. That was always the exactly incorrect insight from Campbell from my perspective. It begs the question 'what happens when we can't follow the hero path' or 'what happens when we fail at any of those stages, including the first one'.
    To be honest, I've never read the Hero's Journey .
    Worse, every story potentially becomes the watered down three or four act structure of this journey that we end up with in every popcorn action movie. The notion that we should always feel wrapped up in the cosy notion that the hero is going where he needs to go, and jumping the hurdles that he should jump. Yes, many people are very comfortable with that story and it makes a lot of money, but there are other interesting stories to tell, and some of those can be equally commercial too. The Thor Odinson arc hasn't been a comfortable arc. It was never supposed to be. His issues are more fundamental and entirely tangential to whether he can win in a fight, or be competent.
    I don't know about "comfortable." It seems like everyone seems to be believe, or want to believe, that this journey is going to probably end the same way most of them do, the issue is just in the execution and characterization.

Astonishing Member

Well there is no guarantee that you will enjoy them. I mean past enjoyment of a writer is probably a good indication of current enjoyment.

Spoilers ahead but it was previous weeks so I won't tag them.

In WotR #5 Thor's anger is causing a thunder storm "All around the globe. From burning sea to frozen shore" before we are gifted a phenomenal singe page splash of Thor in his full thunder rage as he searches for Malekith, who is hiding from him and enacting his own plan.

In 'War of the Realms Strikeforce: The Land of Giants', Cap, wolverine and Spidy, follow a large river of frost giant blood that is flowing across an entire epic landscape to find Thor and when 'the ground turned to mountainous bodies', Thor was standing there screaming in a berserker frenzy for more foes. This is not Thor in weakness or de-powered IMO. This is Thor embodying the rage of a warrior god.

Now if you would prefer to see Thor taking on each giant in a long fight scene instead of the awe inducing wonder of seeing the results of his fight, then you do you. If you would prefer to see Thor fight Malekith than Jane fighting him then you may not want to read the book at all. I don't need those things. This story is shaping up to be the epic it promised to be IMO.
    Cheers I'll go give them a look

I mean I would like to see that I've giant fight, but that still sounds very epic

Cheers I'll go give them a look

I mean I would like to see that I've giant fight, but that still sounds very epic
    Thor lost an arm AGAIN, was heavily wounded and needed a hand to get away from the giants (like when Ghost Rider brought him home to his mummy against Hulk).

also, he most likely gained a power up from WotR #5.

it wasn't by his own power which is laughable.

you wait 4 years for this...
    Last edited by GodThor; 06-19-2019 at 11:16 AM.

Astonishing Member

Thor lost an arm AGAIN, was heavily wounded and needed a hand to get away from the giants (like when Ghost Rider brought him home to his mummy against Hulk).

also, he most likely gained a power up from WotR #5.

it wasn't by his own power which is laughable.

you wait 4 years for this...
    So he has two arms lost now?

So he has two arms lost now?
    nah he lost his golden arm which is good because it looks awful anyway and bad how Asgardian metal is the crappiest in the Multiverse and how he is getting a new arm every now and then.

his hammer also got destroyed as well.

btw, the Destroyer got dented in one hit as well.

I'm waiting for Thor to get his arm back .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm waiting for Thor to get his arm back .
    we probably won't see it for the next 10.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can't say I've learned much more about Thor other then he's a much weaker and more prone to drinking mead then I thought he was. The only thing it confirmed about his power is stuff fans pretty much already knew. .
    Well, we did learn that he cheated on Jane. Not with whom, the circumstances or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Well, we did learn that he cheated on Jane. Not with whom, the circumstances or anything like that.
    I still don't get what was the point of the "dalliances" line. It didn't make sense with prior continuity, was never expounded or explained, never even addressed, and all it served to do was make Thor sound like a bad boyfriend (which I guess was the point?).