Page 101 of 165 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 2474
  1. #1501
    Incredible Member charliehustle415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm glad Aaron is closing out his run with the version of Thor, other then Young Thor, that he probably writes the best and most consistently.
    It makes me wonder if Aaron will continue to include "Young" Odin in Avengers to still be in the Thor playground

  2. #1502
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    42,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    It makes me wonder if Aaron will continue to include "Young" Odin in Avengers to still be in the Thor playground
    Oh yeah, I guess Aaron will probably still be writing Avengers.

    Honestly, his Thor is probably my least favorite part of that run so I hope he doesn't focus too much on Asgardian stuff in that book.

  3. #1503
    Astonishing Member Panic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    true but for King Thor to say that...

    that was a very low blow
    I've not read the issue, but for Thor to praise Jane as the best Thor isn't a problem for me (other than the whole thing of saying Thor is a job-identity rather than referring to an individual) as it makes Thor look humble, and generous with his praise, much like Aaron has had Jane say Thor is the best (or whatever she said), which again just comes across as being humble; other characters who have been allies with Thor for years, such as the Avengers for example, saying Jane is the best Thor... that is an other matter.

  4. #1504
    Mighty Member GodThor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I've not read the issue, but for Thor to praise Jane as the best Thor isn't a problem for me (other than the whole thing of saying Thor is a job-identity rather than referring to an individual) as it makes Thor look humble, and generous with his praise, much like Aaron has had Jane say Thor is the best (or whatever she said), which again just comes across as being humble; other characters who have been allies with Thor for years, such as the Avengers for example, saying Jane is the best Thor... that is an other matter.
    he said something like the one who bore you the best.

    Thor is already humble tbh but that was not him being humble.

    he was admitting that painful truth.

    that praise was too big of a deal, at least for me.

    I would agree with you otherwise.
    Last edited by GodThor; 06-13-2019 at 06:37 AM.

  5. #1505
    The One Above All 616MarvelYear is LeapYear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Marvel Studios
    Posts
    10,025

    Talking Happy Thor's Day!

    Thor #224 Jun 1974
    "No One Can Stop...The Destroyer!"
    Hercules and Thor have taken Krista to a hospital, and Thor changes to Don Blake;

    He then reveals to Hercules that he is Thor;

    On another street in Manhattan, Professor Clement Holmes reactivates the Destroyer, which he discovered in Peru,
    and begins to go on a rampage, to which Hercules responds; After the operation Thor flies to help Hercules;

    Thor manages to fight him off while Hercules goes to find the mortal body;
    After he is gone though, the Destroyer manages to wrench Mjolnir from Thor's grasp, so Thor only has sixty seconds to get it back.

    Script by Gerry Conway, pencils by John Buscema, inks by Mike Esposito
    Imperius Rex!
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/.../74396-9Bk.jpg
    It's clobberin' time! Hulk is strongest one there is! Have at thee!
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/...74396-51Bk.jpg
    I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do best isn't very nice.
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/...74396-43Bk.jpg

  6. #1506
    Man or Monster? Immortal Hulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    735

    Default

    After having read Silver Surfer:Black, I now want Donny Cates writing Thor even more!

  7. #1507
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    he said something like the one who bore you the best.

    Thor is already humble tbh but that was not him being humble.

    he was admitting that painful truth.

    that praise was too big of a deal, at least for me.

    I would agree with you otherwise.
    That was Ewing in Agent of Asgard, not Aaron.

  8. #1508
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,445

    Default

    I definitely wouldn't be against Ewing taking over Thor.

    Actually.....I'd be okay with Ewing writing pretty much anything so that doesn't mean much. Dude is legit one of my favorite writers, from any form, not just comics.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  9. #1509
    Mighty Member GodThor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    That was Ewing in Agent of Asgard, not Aaron.
    Yeah, he also had Odin with a machine gun xd

    Agent of Asgard wasn't really THAT great.

  10. #1510
    Fantastic Member Wall-Crawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    292

    Default

    I agree Al Ewing is an excellent writer, but is everyone forgetting how horrible he wrote Thor in Immortal Hulk ? Probably the worst and most inconsistent Thor vs Hulk fight.

  11. #1511

    Default

    I have a feeling you guys won't be happy with the next Thor writer either.

  12. #1512
    Astonishing Member Panic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    I have a feeling you guys won't be happy with the next Thor writer either.
    The bar is pretty low for us at the moment, so it shouldn't be too difficult for a new writer to clear... but yeah, I think the new writer will carry on in Aaron's footsteps: a dim Thor that is less noble, smart and capable than the hero he was twenty or thirty years ago, and an Odin who acts more like a hillbilly patriarch from Justified than a millennia-old god of wisdom.

    Really, we're not that difficult to please - we want the same as most posters in appreciation threads: our hero and his mythos treated with respect, and not seeing their intelligence and capability backsliding into stupidity and incompetence. It really is pretty much the same as in any other appreciation thread.
    Last edited by Panic; 06-14-2019 at 02:49 AM.

  13. #1513
    Extraordinary Member JKtheMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bedford UK
    Posts
    9,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The bar is pretty low for us at the moment, so it shouldn't be too difficult for a new writer to clear... but yeah, I think the new writer will carry on in Aaron's footsteps: a dim Thor that is less noble, smart and capable than the hero he was twenty or thirty years ago, and an Odin who acts more like a hillbilly patriarch from Justified than a millennia-old god of wisdom.

    Really, we're not that difficult to please - we want the same as most posters in appreciation threads: our hero and his mythos treated with respect, and not seeing their intelligence and capability backsliding into stupidity and incompetence. It really is pretty much the same as in any other appreciation thread.
    Well you bring up a very notable point by comparing other appreciation threads. Many of them are indeed the same. Surely that tells us more about comic book appreciation and the threads themselves than anything to do with the books. The past is the best indication of the future, and appreciation threads have been full of people that are not appreciating the current books for as long as they have existed.

    Don’t you think it is telling that you compare to twenty or thirty years ago? Isn’t that itself self referencing the fact that many people in these threads are driven by nostalgia and not by the reality of modern comics, modern storytelling and the market they exist in?

  14. #1514
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Donít you think it is telling that you compare to twenty or thirty years ago? Isnít that itself self referencing the fact that many people in these threads are driven by nostalgia and not by the reality of modern comics, modern storytelling and the market they exist in?
    You are also driven by nostalgia, my friend, despite your need to believe otherwise. You spend too much of your time on the Marvel boards, for Christ's sake! MARVEL! Not TKO or something manga-related or Lionforge or what have you.

    Besides, 'modern' is too wide a word to denote ANY type of quality. Tom Scioli's Transformers vs. G.I.Joe is thoroughly modern and it is a masterpiece. But, Mark Millar's works are modern, too, and they are usually just embarrassingly bad, at least in the last decade or so. (Don't worry, I have a whole multiverse of arguments here, which would make his proponents desperately grasping for counter-arguments, but this is not the right place for that battle.)

    What Thor needs is someone like Daniel Warren Johnson to both write AND draw, if that is not too much for him on a monthly basis.

  15. #1515
    Astonishing Member Panic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Well you bring up a very notable point by comparing other appreciation threads. Many of them are indeed the same. Surely that tells us more about comic book appreciation and the threads themselves than anything to do with the books. The past is the best indication of the future, and appreciation threads have been full of people that are not appreciating the current books for as long as they have existed.

    Donít you think it is telling that you compare to twenty or thirty years ago? Isnít that itself self referencing the fact that many people in these threads are driven by nostalgia and not by the reality of modern comics, modern storytelling and the market they exist in?
    No, not at all. If you look at the heroes who are riding high on a wave of popularity, of credibility, at the moment, they are the ones that are benefitting from being portrayed much like your "classic" hero: smart, relatable, easy to sympathise with, constantly winning battles... empowering; the idea of the wish-fulfilment hero really hasn't changed. If the genre had changed like you are suggesting, if all the popular heroes were being treated like Thor, then you'd have a point... but take a look around: Captain America is praised as Marvel's greatest hero, and he has even less flaws than he did 20 or 30 years ago - I'm not sure he even has one flaw, he's portrayed as awesome 24/7; and closer to home, Jane has not been hobbled with the kind of feet of clay as Thor that Thor himself has been in recent years. In fact Jane is arguably closer in personality and heroic traits to "classic" Thor than actual Thor is today.


    Yes, storytelling techniques have changed, yes readers want the world their heroes inhabit to feel a little more sophisticated, a little more nuanced, but their heroes themselves they want pretty much in the classic wish-fulfilment mode - when they read a story featuring their hero, they want to end up punching the air and feeling empowered. When Marvel is really pushing a character with hopes of making them more popular, especially if they are representing a politically relevant group, they will make sure they are portrayed as positive as possible, and will give them as much credibility as possible, because that is what works, and that is what super-heroes are all about; however, what is also happening is that super-heroes themselves are being used as supporting characters to help boost a favoured hero. A lot of comic readers today want their hero to shine more brightly than their rivals, and therefore want the heroes around them portrayed as terribly flawed and less than they were, or alternatively want them played for laughs. It's a thing now. Heroes don't so much develop their own supporting casts, but rather co-opt rival heroes into being their foils, a makeshift supporting cast. If you look at TV's Arrow, that show has done just that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •