Page 105 of 216 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 3234
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    nah he lost his golden arm which is good because it looks awful anyway and bad how Asgardian metal is the crappiest in the Multiverse and how he is getting a new arm every now and then.

his hammer also got destroyed as well.

btw, the Destroyer got dented in one hit as well.
    I remember when the destroyer was a real terror

The loss of the gold is a good thing imo though I get what you mean

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I still don't get what was the point of the "dalliances" line. It didn't make sense with prior continuity, was never expounded or explained, never even addressed, and all it served to do was make Thor sound like a bad boyfriend (which I guess was the point?).
    that was the intention, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I remember when the destroyer was a real terror
    every top tier under Aaron is weak asf.

Astonishing Member

that was the intention, yeah.

every top tier under Aaron is weak asf.
    The destroyer being so easily bested by mangog was imo terrible writing of the character

The destroyer being so easily bested by mangog was imo terrible writing of the character
    I don't remeber when was the last time the Destroyer got respect.

back when Galactus came???

I really don't know.

Ultimate Member

I still don't get what was the point of the "dalliances" line. It didn't make sense with prior continuity, was never expounded or explained, never even addressed, and all it served to do was make Thor sound like a bad boyfriend (which I guess was the point?).
    To make Jane more sympathetic too

He definitely hasn't been Jane-level Ultra Capable in a while.

I've definitely been pretty upfront about that. I don't see it as fascinating so much as kind of dumbing Thor down to be honest.

I mean, he comes off to me as definitely less effective then he has been in prior runs and especially with how Jane was depicted with Mjolnir.

I can't say I've learned much more about Thor other then he's a much weaker and more prone to drinking mead then I thought he was. The only thing it confirmed about his power is stuff fans pretty much already knew.

He's definitely regressed a lot on The Avengers.

To be honest, I've never read the Hero's Journey .

I don't know about "comfortable." It seems like everyone seems to be believe, or want to believe, that this journey is going to probably end the same way most of them do, the issue is just in the execution and characterization.
    I can say that's definitely my problem, I want to like this run, I really do, but it's just so blah.

BANNED

Talking Happy Thor's Day!

Thor #344 Jun 1984
    First appearance of Malekith in "Whatever Happened To Balder the Brave?"
    To Nornkeep has come the wolf Geri, on a mission for Odin, and no barrier or man can stand in his way. Geri has come to summon Balder home.

In Asgard, Odin broods upon his throne until Frigga enters to try to ease his heavy heart. 
    Odin tells Frigga that when he returned from Midgard the eve before, he found Heimdall waiting on him. 
    Heimdall took Odin to his home beside the bridge where Munin lay. Odin and Munin spoke for a time until Odin learned what he needed to know. 
    Balder arrives before Odin and learns the mission he would be sent upon. 
    Balder must deliver a letter to Loki, he who is responsible for Balder's death and sojourn through Hel. 
    Odin wants only Balder as his messenger because even Loki acknowledges that the word of Balder is the very measure of truth. 
    Balder agrees on the condition that he will not raise a sword nor kill a soul.

In Bay Bridge Brooklyn, Sigurd is entertaining Melodi, by receiving a backrub from her. 
    As she works on him, she offers him some of her golden mead, only to find he's fallen asleep. 
    She's amused since she fell asleep on him the first time they met. 
    She leaves, and leaves him a note that she wants to cook dinner for him next weekend.

In Asgard, Balder and Silverhoof ride for Loki's castle past the Living Landslide, through
    the Forbidden Forest, and across the Deadly Desert, until they reach the final path to the castle. 
    As he begins the trail, he is suddenly attacked by trolls until he realizes that they're not trolls, but demons of the flame.

Elsewhere, a gigantic figure tempers the sword Twilight in a lake of molten lava.

Inside Loki's castle, Balder finds himself bound and brought before Loki and his guest — Malekith. 

Malekith orders his demons to kill Balder while he and Loki discuss business. 
    Balder manages to slip his bonds and dodges the demons swords and spears, until he no longer has a choice and reaches for a sword.

Back on Earth at the construction site, Sigurd is working on cleaning up the rubble. 
    Jerry shows up and tells him to put on a hardhat since the insurance people are about. 

Sigurd leaps off to get one, and Jerry is now convinced that Sigurd is an honest to god superhero — Spider-Man! LOL!

Back in Asgard, Balder begs the demons to let him pass, but they draw first blood, and Balder is forced to fight back in order to complete his mission. 
    Balder gets past the demons and bursts through the doors to Loki and Malekith. Balder lunges at Malekith, but he fades away into the shadows. 
    Balder then hands Loki the letter from Odin, completing his task. But Loki just tosses it away unread, for he has already accepted Malekith's offer. 
    Enraged at being forced to break his oath to not kill, Balder swings the sword one last time, taking Loki's head.

At Nornkeep, Karnilla is frustrated at not being able to see what's going on inside Loki's castle when the alarm sounds. 
    On their mystic screen, they see the image of Balder riding fast with the look of the damned on his face. 
    Balder and Silverhoof race off into the desert to lose himself forever.

Back in Loki's castle, Loki's body still stands where it was, until it slowly reaches down and picks up the head, putting it back on. 

Loki had enjoyed the jest at Balder's expense, declaring it well worth the price of a stiff neck. 
    For after all, the first thing a sorcerer of quality learns is to make himself as difficult to kill as possible.

Script and art by Walter Simonson

Astonishing Member

I don't remeber when was the last time the Destroyer got respect.

back when Galactus came???

I really don't know.
    That image of the giant destroyer holding mjolnir, epic, it's a long time since I felt the mythos had a scene like that

Maybe if I get wotr in trade it'll have something like that

That earth size storm sounded cool

But it's a long time since the destroyer had the presence it used too that paused Galactus

Yeah I expected a much better performance from the Destroyer.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Yeah I expected a much better performance from the Destroyer.
    I could see mangog driving out the spirit so it stopped, but crushed like that, poor

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

So Newsarama is insinuating that the Thor title is over in August and will be taken over in September with King Thor because Thor wasn't in the solicitations.

I wonder once the King Thor run is over and Aaron's epic is done if it will be relaunched in January with a new creative team or will Valkyrie be the main Asguardian book for a bit?

Do we know if a the Valkyrie title is a ongoing or a mini?

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    So Newsarama is insinuating that the Thor title is over in August and will be taken over in September with King Thor because Thor wasn't in the solicitations.

I wonder once the King Thor run is over and Aaron's epic is done if it will be relaunched in January with a new creative team or will Valkyrie be the main Asguardian book for a bit?

Do we know if a the Valkyrie title is a ongoing or a mini?
    I'm pretty sure Valkyrie is an ongoing.

My assumption is that King Thor will wrap up Aaron's run and then they'll probably relaunch Thor with a new creative team and a shiny new #1 (even though it feels like the current volume has barely been going on as is).

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I'm pretty sure Valkyrie is an ongoing.

My assumption is that King Thor will wrap up Aaron's run and then they'll probably relaunch Thor with a new creative team and a shiny new #1 (even though it feels like the current volume has barely been going on as is).
    I mean that's almost all Marvel titles nowadays, most series have one arc before it gets interrupted by a event and because of said event we get a bunch of title relaunches.

Yeah this current Thor arc in my view is the weakest, because it was all prologue to the War and then it was/is a tie to said War; but the most egregious thing is that Thor has been missing in his own event and because of that it feels like the last year or so Thor has been barely in any stories of consequence.

I don't think Valkyrie comic will last that long.

probably a year.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Sorry, that is just backtracking. You just said his work was garbage. You can't pretend that isn't an insult.

I have said many times I believe he understands the Thor mythos perfectly well from my perspective. I have highlighted multiple examples of why. It is easy to narrowly define the mythos only by those bits you personally like. Aaron doesn't get that luxury. He has to work with a huge corpus of often contradictory material and come up with a new story. That's exactly what he did with Mangog.

Mangog is not consistent from one appearance to another. Aaron very carefully chose not to contradict anything, and used him in a manner that resonated with this story and also referenced many of the previous appearances. That is a writer doing his due diligence and respecting canon. He does this throughout his entire run with every character he uses. Again, it may not match individual people's favourite parts of canon, but he isn't here to do that.
    Lol, please tell me when have we ever seen Hela crying like a teenager because she was dumped by a man.
    And that's only one example, I could literally bring up dozens more with pretty much EVERY asgardian character, but it's no use against you who will just keep on claiming Aaron is our savior and we can't grasp his grand plan.