Page 131 of 216 FirstFirst ... 3181121127128129130131132133134135141181 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,965 of 3234

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Can anyone tell me what Thor did that specifically made him worthy again? Please!
    well Aaron is leaving Thor so he had to make him worthy because of that.

I hope that this movie proves me right, that the problems that MOST people had with Jane-Thor had nothing to do with Jane herself but the secondary and tertiary things around Jane. Thor's already had his drunken sad sack arc, and came out the other side much better, and Odin's dead, MCU Thor doesn't rely on Mjonir, he has Stormbreaker, he doesn't have any of the crippling identity issues that Aaron threw at him. This is gonna be fine.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    well Aaron is leaving Thor so he had to make him worthy because of that.
    More like a shoehorned attempt to gain back Thor’s fans. Nothing that happened in that nonsensical alleged piece of “Thor” story made any changes or additions beneficial to Thor. All it did was destroy his status and basically depower and destroy his character. He became a drunk which became the main characteristic, no matter who argues what, of new Thor. Then, out of nowhere, he gets crucified on Yggdrasil and suddenly becomes ALL-FATHER. Undeservedly so since he did nothing but drink and moan and get reprimanded by the clearly superior JaneThor. Anyone who says he wasn’t brought down to make her look better is clearly blind. The proof is in the pudding. Not one character trait of his was changed or made better. NOT ONE. So he’s ALL-FATHER now by Aaron’s decree to prove us wrong.

“See! All that sacrifice was for him to become an undeserving All-Father!”

Don’t know why that was necessary. Freya can just make anyone ALL-Mother by stating it. There was nothing wrong that Thor did so his powers should’ve been fully intact but then that would diminish the hammer and thus diminish Jane. So let’s keep him drunk and let him get lectured by a bad mother who hasn’t lived a millisecond of what Thor has lived. Just like they threw in that Thor was a cheater, they should have also shown that Foster pulled a Cyclops for Thor and abandoned her family. Worse off she did so after being nowhere in Thor’s life for a LARGE part of the 90s and early 00’s. But no! That’s not ok to say. I’m just so glad that Hickman is back at Marvel. Maybe some would be writers will learn from a real writer about how it’s done.

Quote Originally Posted by THORPERION View Post
    I’m just so glad that Hickman is back at Marvel. Maybe some would be writers will learn from a real writer about how it’s done.
    In the recent interview Hickman did with Marvel Online he pretty much describes his process and it sounds remarkably like the process Aaron uses to me. Maybe you are seeing a distinction between them that isn't there.

As to your description of Aaron's run itself, I don't recognise it at all. You make lots of claims about things that just didn't happen and rhetorically exaggerate anything that did for minimising effect. Ridicule and caricature are not really forms of criticism. Clearly you didn't like it but did you actually give it anything other than a cursory glance?
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    And honestly, the Unworthy stuff could have been done better on the big screen that it did in the comics anyway.

I'm not worried too much about any of it. Mostly worried about Natalies capacity to phone it in (TDW) and her acting ability than anything.
    I definitely agree there, Portman can be amazing or bland as hell depending on the project. Generally I'm not even a fan, but I know she's got skills.....when she wants to.

With this....I'm suspecting she'll bring her A-game. She's going to be a superhero role model for millions of little girls. That should be enough to get any actress hyped. She's going to be out of the damsel in distress role. Her face is going to be on tons of merchandise and toys. And whatever Marvel said to get her to come back must've been one hell of a pitch. If she phones this one in? She might as well leave Hollywood.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Can anyone tell me what Thor did that specifically made him worthy again? Please!
    It's the journey to being worthy that's important, not actually being worthy .
    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Well it’s an acid test really. Were people really that bothered about the unworthy story or was it mostly the average resistance to change and a preference for old fashioned stories that just wouldn’t be commercial in the current market?
    I'd like to think I'm more resistant to Thor being written badly more then anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    And honestly, the Unworthy stuff could have been done better on the big screen that it did in the comics anyway.
    I don't disagree.

A movie would probably keep the focus squarely on Thor himself and show a clearer thoroughline to his Unworthy status to being Worthy again, on-top of probably not try to knock him down as much as Aaron did, because he's the protagonist.

Jane would also probably have been handled very differently. And probably will be handled very differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    On that, it would seem we will get even more emphasis on gods being more than just high powered, long lived, aliens. You can hardly have a movie about a mortal becoming a goddess without exploring the idea of what a god is. This is good news IMO. The biggest misstep with Thor was to de-emphasise the deity.
    Considering Ragnarok, I don't see Waititi doing that much to be honest.

They'll probably handwave it with some kind of tech aspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I hope that this movie proves me right, that the problems that MOST people had with Jane-Thor had nothing to do with Jane herself but the secondary and tertiary things around Jane. Thor's already had his drunken sad sack arc, and came out the other side much better, and Odin's dead, MCU Thor doesn't rely on Mjonir, he has Stormbreaker, he doesn't have any of the crippling identity issues that Aaron threw at him. This is gonna be fine.
    I think part of the problem was Jane, at least in comparison to Thor, where she so excelled and proved herself as Thor with little difficulty beyond her cancer that it made how OG!Thor was being written more glaring.

Hopefully Waititi won't handle it like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    With this....I'm suspecting she'll bring her A-game. She's going to be a superhero role model for millions of little girls. That should be enough to get any actress hyped. She's going to be out of the damsel in distress role. Her face is going to be on tons of merchandise and toys. And whatever Marvel said to get her to come back must've been one hell of a pitch. If she phones this one in? She might as well leave Hollywood.
    When you describe it like that it really does sound like they're going to take Thor out .

More like a shoehorned attempt to gain back Thor’s fans. Nothing that happened in that nonsensical alleged piece of “Thor” story made any changes or additions beneficial to Thor. All it did was destroy his status and basically depower and destroy his character. He became a drunk which became the main characteristic, no matter who argues what, of new Thor. Then, out of nowhere, he gets crucified on Yggdrasil and suddenly becomes ALL-FATHER. Undeservedly so since he did nothing but drink and moan and get reprimanded by the clearly superior JaneThor. Anyone who says he wasn’t brought down to make her look better is clearly blind. The proof is in the pudding. Not one character trait of his was changed or made better. NOT ONE. So he’s ALL-FATHER now by Aaron’s decree to prove us wrong.

Don’t know why that was necessary. Freya can just make anyone ALL-Mother by stating it. There was nothing wrong that Thor did so his powers should’ve been fully intact but then that would diminish the hammer and thus diminish Jane. So let’s keep him drunk and let him get lectured by a bad mother who hasn’t lived a millisecond of what Thor has lived. Just like they threw in that Thor was a cheater, they should have also shown that Foster pulled a Cyclops for Thor and abandoned her family. Worse off she did so after being nowhere in Thor’s life for a LARGE part of the 90s and early 00’s. But no! That’s not ok to say. I’m just so glad that Hickman is back at Marvel. Maybe some would be writers will learn from a real writer about how it’s done.
    perfectly said.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He just keeps it around for iconography.
    Thor can't fly or transverse dimensions without the hammer.

Agreed. Of course, now Thor 4 (cinematic) appears to pick up where Aaron left off.

I get that Disney is looking for that magic ace that will reel in the pre teen female crowd because it's such a huge market...but why must Thor be emasculated to this end? Why not choose an already existing female character, is my (rhetorical) question.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

BANNED

I mean, I can see why a lot of Jane Foster Thor fans would be happy.
    Jane Foster Thor fans are also Thor fans.

It is possible to not narrowly only appreciate Jane as Thor but to have a love for the overall mythology.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post

It is possible to not narrowly only appreciate Jane as Thor but to have a love for the overall mythology.
    I know that's definitely true for JKtheMak (although we seem to always come at an impasse when it comes to our opinions on the mythology), but for the most part I think Jane Foster Thor fans are much more fans of Jane as Thor then they are of Thor himself.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Agreed. Of course, now Thor 4 (cinematic) appears to pick up where Aaron left off.

I get that Disney is looking for that magic ace that will reel in the pre teen female crowd because it's such a huge market...but why must Thor be emasculated to this end? Why not choose an already existing female character, is my (rhetorical) question.
    Wait are all Jane Thor fans pre-teen females!? Wait am I a pre-teen female? Wait have you just awoken something in me?

Thank you Cronus, thank you for properly identifying me I am forever in your debt.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post

Agreed... I'm one of those people who are fans of both. I've seen a decent number of people who only read the book for the Jane story line and knew or cared little to nothing about Odinson or the Asgardians, but I've also seen a lot of longtime Thor readers who are also Jane fans. If I had to guess, based just on my personal experiences, I think there's a lot more people who are fans of both as opposed to just Jane.
    I think there's a section of fans who want or need to separate the Jane fans from the Odinson/Asgardian fans. I don't know why, maybe it's a bit of "true fan"-ing going on, or maybe that's just been their perception.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Agreed... I'm one of those people who are fans of both. I've seen a decent number of people who only read the book for the Jane story line and knew or cared little to nothing about Odinson or the Asgardians, but I've also seen a lot of longtime Thor readers who are also Jane fans. If I had to guess, based just on my personal experiences, I think there's a lot more people who are fans of both as opposed to just Jane.
    I think there's a section of fans who want or need to separate the Jane fans from the Odinson/Asgardian fans. I don't know why, maybe it's a bit of "true fan"-ing going on, or maybe that's just been their perception.
    Honestly I'd be curious to see if there were any fans who came in through Jane but came out with a new appreciation of the original Thor, even if he didn't do much in her portion run but basically be eye candy (what with being shirtless).

I guess they'd come off with the implication that Jane cares about him a lot, and he helped revive her at the end, so there would be some appreciation there.

They probably hate Odin as much as Jane does .

Mighty Member

Honestly I'd be curious to see if there were any fans who came in through Jane but came out with a new appreciation of the original Thor, even if he didn't do much in her portion run but basically be eye candy (what with being shirtless).

I guess they'd come off with the implication that Jane cares about him a lot, and he helped revive her at the end, so there would be some appreciation there.

They probably hate Odin as much as Jane does .
    Hmmm that is an interesting question. Seeing Odinson at his lowest would probably be a turn off for some, while others would be interested in the struggle. A lot of people don't like the Supermans and Odinsons who are all powerful and above it all, so they might be more receptive to a very challenged Odinson. I think there's a lot to like in the Jane/Odinson relationship, whether you're a hardcore fan who's read it all or if you jumped onboard just for Jane as Thor. There's a beautiful mix of lovers love, familial love and platonic love there.

Agreed there likely wouldn't be much love for Odin... He was almost as challenged as Odinson, but whereas Odinson was sympathetic in a lot of ways, and arguably didn't purposely do anything wrong with malicious intent, there's not a lot to like about Odin imo.