Page 132 of 216 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133134135136142182 ... LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 3234

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Hmmm that is an interesting question. Seeing Odinson at his lowest would probably be a turn off for some, while others would be interested in the struggle. A lot of people don't like the Supermans and Odinsons who are all powerful and above it all, so they might be more receptive to a very challenged Odinson. I think there's a lot to like in the Jane/Odinson relationship, whether you're a hardcore fan who's read it all or if you jumped onboard just for Jane as Thor. There's a beautiful mix of lovers love, familial love and platonic love there.
    See, to me I would expect people coming into it would have a very different perspective since they wouldn't have a proper Thor to compare OG!Thor too other then, I guess, Jane. So I'm not sure if they could really appreciate the struggle without really knowing what he was like before, and Aaron writes him very differently from how he used to be portrayed.

I would think they like their Supermans and Odinsons who are like that to a certain extent considering Jane's prowess, but is that being tempered by the cancer aspect a deciding factor?

I'm not sure how I feel about Thor and Jane anymore. I used to like and appreciate it but now I feel the relationship only serves to make Thor look bad. Makes me miss Sif more.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Hmmm that is an interesting question. Seeing Odinson at his lowest would probably be a turn off for some, while others would be interested in the struggle. A lot of people don't like the Supermans and Odinsons who are all powerful and above it all, so they might be more receptive to a very challenged Odinson. I think there's a lot to like in the Jane/Odinson relationship, whether you're a hardcore fan who's read it all or if you jumped onboard just for Jane as Thor. There's a beautiful mix of lovers love, familial love and platonic love there.

Agreed there likely wouldn't be much love for Odin... He was almost as challenged as Odinson, but whereas Odinson was sympathetic in a lot of ways, and arguably didn't purposely do anything wrong with malicious intent, there's not a lot to like about Odin imo.
    While seeing a story about a hero being brought down to their lowest only to have to pick themselves up again is an interesting tale, I feel that in this case, it was hurt by the fact that Thor because greatly removed from the story once Jane came to wield the hammer and then was taken out again after the Secret Wars timeskip (eventually getting his own mini after Civil War II) and only returning to the story at the tail end of Jane’s portion of it.

On top of that, he only returned to his role of Thor after Jane could no longer continue due to the combination of her cancer and Mjoulnir being destroyed so there was a lacking in terms of duality with their stories and instead Thor basically was put into Jane’s shadow which I found did his story at hand no justice. It also didn’t help that they basically made Jane out to be better with the hammer than Thor ever was with no real explanation ever given making it feel more like Thor’s story had been usurped by Jane rather than this being about Thor himself. By the time that Thor got the spotlight back, the story really felt less like him finally picking himself back up and more like a countdown to the War of the Realms.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    While seeing a story about a hero being brought down to their lowest only to have to pick themselves up again is an interesting tale, I feel that in this case, it was hurt by the fact that Thor because greatly removed from the story once Jane came to wield the hammer and then was taken out again after the Secret Wars timeskip (eventually getting his own mini after Civil War II) and only returning to the story at the tail end of Jane’s portion of it.

On top of that, he only returned to his role of Thor after Jane could no longer continue due to the combination of her cancer and Mjoulnir being destroyed so there was a lacking in terms of duality with their stories and instead Thor basically was put into Jane’s shadow which I found did his story at hand no justice. It also didn’t help that they basically made Jane out to be better with the hammer than Thor ever was with no real explanation ever given making it feel more like Thor’s story had been usurped by Jane rather than this being about Thor himself. By the time that Thor got the spotlight back, the story really felt less like him finally picking himself back up and more like a countdown to the War of the Realms.
    Yeah, this basically.

Thor didn't make a triumphant return, he was simply the only Thor left

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, this basically.

Thor didn't make a triumphant return, he was simply the only Thor left
    It was literally to the point that Jane had to encourage him to take back his own name and status once she could no longer wield the hammer. It was like a reverse legacy hero moment. We’ve had some triumphant returns from Peter’s in Superior Spider-Man to Cap’s in Secret Empire. This was not one of those.
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 07-22-2019 at 06:43 PM.

BANNED

Does anyone know which is the issue where Thor visits a man in jail with a death penalty and gives him some kind of alien fruit that was the last of its kind as his last meal ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    See, to me I would expect people coming into it would have a very different perspective since they wouldn't have a proper Thor to compare OG!Thor too other then, I guess, Jane. So I'm not sure if they could really appreciate the struggle without really knowing what he was like before, and Aaron writes him very differently from how he used to be portrayed.

I would think they like their Supermans and Odinsons who are like that to a certain extent considering Jane's prowess, but is that being tempered by the cancer aspect a deciding factor?

I'm not sure how I feel about Thor and Jane anymore
    . I used to like and appreciate it but now I feel the relationship only serves to make Thor look bad. Makes me miss Sif more.
    I get that, I do like the idea of Jane-Thor, cool design, cool powers, great moments, but all the other stuff around Jane left a bad taste in my mouth. It's like a sandwich with tomatoes, except I can't pick them off.

The fan reception isn't helpful either, both sides are so loud and dismissive. The discourse starts good but then usually boils down to name calling and personal attacks.

The one thing that I think we can all agree on is that Jane has been the most polarizing character since Miles Morales.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Does anyone know which is the issue where Thor visits a man in jail with a death penalty and gives him some kind of alien fruit that was the last of its kind as his last meal ?
    Thor: God of Thunder (2012) #12, by Aaron and Klein.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Has Thor regained his worthiness? Has Mjolnir returned from the Sun to him yet?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    God of Thunder 13 I think?(Or is it 12?)

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    Has Thor regained his worthiness? Has Mjolnir returned from the Sun to him yet?
    You want that answer in a private message so it doesn't spoil things for other readers?

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I get that, I do like the idea of Jane-Thor, cool design, cool powers, great moments, but all the other stuff around Jane left a bad taste in my mouth. It's like a sandwich with tomatoes, except I can't pick them off.

The fan reception isn't helpful either, both sides are so loud and dismissive. The discourse starts good but then usually boils down to name calling and personal attacks.

The one thing that I think we can all agree on is that Jane has been the most polarizing character since Miles Morales.
    Jane has probably been the most successful legacy hero since Miles and Kamala, although in Kamala's case Carol got upgraded long before she existed so there wasn't any identity taking.

Another thing I think Jane and Miles have in common is that they work better in isolation from the character they're succeeding.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Wait are all Jane Thor fans pre-teen females!? Wait am I a pre-teen female? Wait have you just awoken something in me?

Thank you Cronus, thank you for properly identifying me I am forever in your debt.
    I never said it would work. But that has been Disneys target group for some time.

What about Jane Thor did you like?
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Jane Foster Thor fans are also Thor fans.

It is possible to not narrowly only appreciate Jane as Thor but to have a love for the overall mythology.
    I'm a Jane fan too and I'm a massive Thor fan.

The thing is, one can have a problem with a story but that doesn't diminish the overall appreciation one has of a character.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Jane Foster Thor fans are also Thor fans.

It is possible to not narrowly only appreciate Jane as Thor but to have a love for the overall mythology.
    This. I’ve been reading Thor related comics for decades. I’ll always love Thor. I just so happen to enjoy Jane’s time as Thor. Like I did for Eric Masterson’s time on the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know that's definitely true for JKtheMak (although we seem to always come at an impasse when it comes to our opinions on the mythology), but for the most part I think Jane Foster Thor fans are much more fans of Jane as Thor then they are of Thor himself.
    I think that would be hard to judge though. The ven diagram of people that talk about comics on the internet or on twitter compared to those who regularly read comics or would describe themselves as Thor fans would probably be more like a large circle with tiny bubbles around it. How exactly would we measure how many Thor fans actually liked the Jane story?

I find it hard to believe that thousands of new fans came on board to read about Jane, for example, and yet it was very popular and a very long run by modern standards.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-23-2019 at 04:23 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.