Page 150 of 216 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154160200 ... LastLast
Results 2,236 to 2,250 of 3234
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by alpha to omega View Post
    except that issue doesn't state anything of the sort. Nowhere does it say that thor's storm powers come from the hammer in that issue, it only states that he heard it whispering. So once again: Show me the issue where it actually states that thor's powers come from the mother storm.

And that issue is suspect anyway since it also says that odin only wielded mjolnir once and then locked it in his armory which completely goes against both prior continuity and aaron's own idiotic prehistoric avengers idea.
    thank you!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    Except that issue doesn't state anything of the sort. Nowhere does it say that Thor's storm powers come from the hammer in that issue, it only states that he heard it whispering. So once again: show me the issue where it actually STATES that Thor's powers come from the Mother Storm.

And that issue is suspect anyway since it also says that Odin only wielded Mjolnir once and then locked it in his armory which completely goes against both prior continuity and Aaron's own idiotic Prehistoric Avengers idea.
    I don't know what to tell you, but life happens in between panels; throughout the medium of comicbooks things are interpreted between the lines - or better yet in between the panels. My reading is a good faith reading of Aaron's works; take it as you will.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I don't know what to tell you, but life happens in between panels; throughout the medium of comicbooks things are interpreted between the lines - or better yet in between the panels. My reading is a good faith reading of Aaron's works; take it as you will.
    So it was never stated in the book and you were just your using your interpretation as if it were fact. Glad we cleared this up.

So it was never stated in the book and you were just your using your interpretation as if it were fact. Glad we cleared this up.
    Ah yes, the factual accuracy of a man riding atop a goat wielding a magical hammer while fighting evil elves.

Ah yes, the factual accuracy of a man riding atop a goat wielding a magical hammer while fighting evil elves.
    No, the fact is Aaron never wrote what you said he did.

Never said he did, I'm going off of everything that is shown within the pages.

Thor calling the Mother of Storms for help, Odin trapping it in Mjolnir, it whispering to Thor as a child.

Further, Aaron contradicts himself from his earlier time with Thor, so the only thing a reader can go off of is from his latest stuff and his latest stuff points to Thor not having the power to wield lightning.

It has been shown throughout the run that Thor without Mjolnir is extremely depowered, to the point of getting his arm lopped off by Malakith.

So one can surmise this is the logical conclusion of Aaron's point, it's not the powers nor the magical weapons that makes a god worthy.

Again take it or leave it.

Never said he did, I'm going off of everything that is shown within the pages.

Thor calling the Mother of Storms for help, Odin trapping it in Mjolnir, it whispering to Thor as a child.

Further, Aaron contradicts himself from his earlier time with Thor, so the only thing a reader can go off of is from his latest stuff and his latest stuff points to Thor not having the power to wield lightning.

It has been shown throughout the run that Thor without Mjolnir is extremely depowered, to the point of getting his arm lopped off by Malakith.

So one can surmise this is the logical conclusion of Aaron's point, it's not the powers nor the magical weapons that makes a god worthy.

Again take it or leave it.
    It's been shown throughout the series that Thor can control the weather without Mjolnir or the Mother Storm from the God-Butcher arc up to War of the Realms. Your "logical conclusion" is bullshit and your interpretation is wrong, deal with it.

All-New Member

It's been shown throughout the series that Thor can control the weather without Mjolnir or the Mother Storm from the God-Butcher arc up to War of the Realms. Your "logical conclusion" is bullshit and your interpretation is wrong, deal with it.
    You have no argument if you base your interpretation on what Aaron literally writes or doesn't write. Aaron's portrayal of Thor is inconsistent and regularly disregards his own precedents and his own backstory. To think just because Aaron never wrote it means something is truly ludicrous.

In his writing Thor goes from incredibly underpowered to so powerful that even without the mjolner he can swim through the sun (as he did in War of Realms). Yet despite being able to literally swim through the sun (or fly if you like) he then fears the dark elf and has to call of his past and future versions + Jane Foster to defeat him.

Aaron's portrayal of Thor's power are idiotic really. Even in the realm of comics any character that can swim through the sun is usually considered vastly powerful. So powerful that the hammer he lost would be inferior.

Fans could be forgiven for assuming Thor got his power from the the "mother storm". After all, when Jane Foster picked up Mjolner imbued her with all the storm-god powers of Thor. One thing is clear Aaron's Thor cannot fly without mjolner. Yet Storm from the X-men using the same ability is able to control the winds and fly. Why is that? Aaron never literally wrote that Thor needs the hammer to fly, but it's clear in several stories that is the case. Control of the wind has always been portrayed as a key element of any character's ability to control the storm.

During her time as "Thor" his own use of his powers as the God of Thunder and Storm was rare, spotty. He was often no more than a Hulk with the mind of Thor he depended on beating opponents physically, though there are two notable uses.

Once against the God butcher he seemed to summon Thunder, and against the Phoenix Force he combined his powers with Jane Foster to blast it. Those two instances raise far more questions than answers. If he has those powers why didn't he use them elsewhere.

While Aaron may have never literally written where Thor got his power, it's clear that in many stories NOT having those powers is the only way for them to make any sense, maintain any internal logic. Otherwise having those powers should have ensured far different outcomes like when he got his arm chopped off.

Bottom line is what powers Thor has or doesn't have depends on the moment in the story in all of Aaron's writing. To think his writing somehow supports you is really funny. It supports no side on any issue. With him things can change with each issue and change in a dramatic contradictory way that shreds all previous stories.

Astonishing Member

Oy vey, I shouldn't even respond to you; but okay, again as discussed in this thread The Mother of Storms is the one who imbues these powers to all Thors except for War Thor who is imbued by another Universe's Mjolnir.

Yes young Thor has called down lightning, but according to canon vis a vis Aaron's writing, all power of lightning & thunder comes from the Mother of Storms.

Even Odin had a hard time taming the Mother of Storms and when it was put into Mjolnir it would whisper to Thor, hence him wielding lighting. The Mother of Storms whispered to Jane too, that is why she knew that that there must always be a Thor.

Yes Thor's powers have been duplicated, and again that is because the Mother of Storms allowed it. Beta Ray Bill is a noble hero who is worthy, so why couldn't the Mother of Storms imbue that power to him?
    This might be so, though I can't recall it being on panel

But it's certainly only true at present for Aaron's run

It is certainly not the canon for the vast history of the character, and I would question how long it will be remembered for post him

For all of the appreciation of his work, it's gonnao e on

Give it a few writers down the line and I dought it will be mentioned often

But I still find the logic strange in your exposition

If the god storm allows it, including duplication of the storm powers, why vwould that be, it was trapped and bested by Odin, soundly imprisoned

Yet the suggestion is that even as a prisoner it allows odins enchantment to pass it's power onto others

Just not internally logical really, as with so much of Aaron's work on the mythos when i break it down the changes he's tried to bring in really fall apart
    Last edited by kilderkin; 08-17-2019 at 05:52 AM.

the only thing I appreciate from Aaron's run.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by THORPERION View Post
    That was a little jarring but he didn’t wield it as well as Thor looking at it correctly. He spun it too slow. Lightning wasn’t nearly as powerful. And he got decimated. Thor did better without mjolnir and remember, Thor wasn’t allowed to use his powers either; just his weapons. I mean he’s about to get axed and he couldn’t lightning bolt Thanos through Stormbreaker? Thanos was holding it! C’mon man!

Finally, the best use of Thor’s warrior ability is still the First Thor and the beginning of Ragnarok. Those showed classic Thor badassery!
    Quoted for truth.

Honestly, I feel Branagh understood just powerful is. The way he leveled the Frost Giants and that “lightning quake” in Jotunheim were Thor’s most bad ass moments in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Quoted for truth.

Honestly, I feel Branagh understood just powerful is. The way he leveled the Frost Giants and that “lightning quake” in Jotunheim were Thor’s most bad ass moments in the movies.
    I agree, the first Thor film, I believe, it was directly influenced by JMS's run where Thor was supremely godly.

Unfortunately, the MCU learned a bit too late what to do with Thor; they realized they couldn't keep him OP because it would negate the rest of the heroes similarly to the comics.

In Thor's solo series he is usually depicted as very capable, but in team books he tends to be portrayed underpowered or the rest of the heroes are portrayed as more powerful then usual (which of course leads to the same conclusion).

I really wish JMS's run went on a bit longer and wasn't cut short by editorial mandate, I would have loved to see the godly version of Thor interact more with the rest of the Marvel Universe.

Thor basically has the same problem as Superman, their power fluctuates depending on the situation.

Similarly to what JohnnyMorales stated above, it can happen with the same writer, you have Thor swimming through the sun at one moment and in another moment he is being held down by frost giants and he gets his arm chopped off.

We just saw the Punisher kill a number of frost giants, a human man killing frost giants.

*PS: I wonder why didn't Unworthy Thor call down lighting to save him*
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 08-17-2019 at 07:34 AM.

most of Thor fights under Aaron are a PIS.

it has nothing to do with plot.

it's only to humiliate him.

Now I'm even more ready for them to retcon out the Mother Storm .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, good rule of thumb is assume most design changes happened to match the movies .
    That is a tendency (film and tv influencing original creations) that I understand, but sometimes narks me.

The one that really does my nut is Bernard Cornwall’s series of Sharpe historical fiction novels where Sharrpe in early books is a dark haired Londoner...but who in later books is described much more like Sean Bean, who plays him in TV series.

Nothing wrong with Sean’s performance...it was excellent as always...but absolutely no reason (in my view) to alter way Sharpe is described in the books.